6.5mm Voodoo -Unveiled

Kirby,

Reply to your 2 posts are up, edited my "reserved" post on top of page 10 to the reply.

Glad to see some other reports of steel being shot through are coming to light. I know what i did but a few other reports to help back me up aren't bad!

I know i can reproduce the results, but i don't have enough money to just go ruin a steel target to maybe convince some people. I know how i would do it, but don't really have incentive to. I would get my friend Trebark to shoot it a couple times with his 260, then ill shoot it, all while on video, then go show that the .260 leaves it unscathed and the Voodoo Ventilates :D

Things can happen, stuff is different...

Years ago I had a steel target ( nothing expensive or fancy, don't even know what kind of steel it was ) shot at it all the time with a .223. Nice grey splats until one day I bought a .17 HMR, almost ( but not quite ) went right through !

I had a 1000yd HG in a wildcat caliber that a certain gunsmith is known for. According to the gunsmith, I should have been shooting 4 to 6 more grains of powder than what I was. I couldn't because if I went up any it showed signs of pressure, plus I was nearly at the speed intended anyway.

I heard about Oliver's hole punching at the match, not just by Oliver, but by two other people as well...it happened, there's no disputing that. His chrono wrong ? The steel not ar500 ? Mercury aligned with Mars ? Don't know, doesn't change the fact.

It must be voodoo that you do :). I think this thread is past the point of dispelling beliefs as to whether you're gun did this or you're gun shoots how fast. Kirby is explaining to you from years of obvious first hand experience that you're over pressured and to be careful. Take it for what its worth. For some reason KIDS seem to know everything nowadays :rolleyes:. Be Safe.

Interesting thing about Winchester brass is that the uniformity is not great but a lot of 1K F/TR shooters use it in 308 because the brass is very hard and the case head /primer pockets don't loosen and even better the type of brass allows extra volume and powder capacity. Of course they are very meticulous in sorting it to get uniform cases for competition.

Some thing to think about if it is over pressure there may not be any of the obvious signs of primer pockets loosening. Of course that is why we use it and Lapua brass is to give us a little more pressure and a little more velocity without ruining our cases.

Interesting thing about Winchester brass is that the uniformity is not great but a lot of 1K F/TR shooters use it in 308 because the brass is very hard and the case head /primer pockets don't loosen and even better the type of brass allows extra volume and powder capacity. Of course they are very meticulous in sorting it to get uniform cases for competition.

Some thing to think about if it is over pressure there may not be any of the obvious signs of primer pockets loosening. Of course that is why we use it and Lapua brass is to give us a little more pressure and a little more velocity without ruining our cases.

+1

don't we all @ one time or another.

It must be voodoo that you do :). I think this thread is past the point of dispelling beliefs as to whether you're gun did this or you're gun shoots how fast. Kirby is explaining to you from years of obvious first hand experience that you're over pressured and to be careful. Take it for what its worth. For some reason KIDS seem to know everything nowadays :rolleyes:. Be Safe.

Sounds to me like he's done his home work. I think he understands what he's doing even better than I do, and I'm close to twice his age.

What says you have to be 40-50 or retired before you can know anything? He's been cautioned, and he's replied, I don't think he needs berating for being too young.

I say, "attaboy! Keep up the awsome work!"

Sounds to me like he's done his home work. I think he understands what he's doing even better than I do, and I'm close to twice his age.

What says you have to be 40-50 or retired before you can know anything? He's been cautioned, and he's replied, I don't think he needs berating for being too young.

I say, "attaboy! Keep up the awsome work!"

+1 seems to be.

You guys had to do it.....U woke the gods with ur supurb performance. How dare you let alone outperform the others but then talk about it to boot?

Funny I seen myself going thru this same thing a couple months from now.....:D

Keep shootin boys....gun)

Hey everyone, realize this thread has gone somewhat cold, but wanted to drop a note with some updates.

I hadn't been shooting this rifle for a while as i had been moving scopes around and focusing on getting my 6.5x47L set up (sweet round, by the way). But i have transitioned back to the voodoo these last few weeks to make sure it's all set for hunting season.

First off, about that punching an ar500 plate at 200yards, i retested it last weekend and shot a 12x12" free hanging piece twice at 200yards, and it DID NOT punch the plate, only poc-mark it. So i believe i hit a weak spot on the plate i punched, or the steel was not true ar500.

As for velocity, i have moved from the temp sensitive H-US869 to Retumbo, i am now using 72.5gr behind a 140vld in winchester brass with cci br2 primers. However this new lot seems to be a tad faster, and i will drop the charge a bit to extend case life. Velocity is running 3385fps with .5-.6moa accuracy. While the groups aren't as great as my 6.5x47L, i believe for long range shooting the "ballistic horsepower" coupled with more than acceptable short range accuracy should translate into equal or smaller long range groups. But more importantly, more first round hits, due to diminished TOF and wind drift, versus say something like my 6.5x47L.

Interesting, you started out reporting 3600 fps and zipping through AR500 steel plate.

Then you came back and said you were loading to around 3440 fps and still holding to the claim you were punching AR-500.

Now you come back and say, "in the interest of case life" your loading to around 3385 fps........ And not you can not punch steel. If your putting a dent in your steel, its still NOT AR500 plate.

You are however getting your velocity levels down where they could be believable in a faster then normal barrel. I used to have a factory Ruger M77MkII rifle in 7mm Rem Mag with a 24" sporter barrel. That rifle would EASILY drive the 140 gr Ballistic Silvertip to 3425 fps with no visual pressure signs at all and decent brass life. So I could believe your getting 3385 fps with your Voodoo with your barrel length.

Just find it interesting that the more you work with this round, the closer you get to realistic performance numbers. Funny how things tend to work out that way. Perhaps your first reports were a bit premature and now you are seeing what the VooDoo should really be producing.

Kirby,

In no way am i trying to sneak out of posting BS, not at all!

Everything i stated was true, or i believed was true, to everyone's knowledge it was ar500, it was sold to the club as ar500, and nothing else had previously even marked it.

never stated i got 3600fps, i stated i had no real indications of over-pressure at 3555fps, which is absolutely true. Was it very accurate? no, was it really fast? yes.

i'm trying to understand what your investment here is? why are you so dead set on trying to paint me as a liar? I simply wanted to post an update on my latest results, and let people know that i believe the club and match organizers were misinformed about their steel, the fact that there is a silhouette target at Mayberry GPA, that we were told was ar500, with a hole COM that i put there with the voodoo, is indisputable.

I switched power to Retumbo as i can reach high enough velocity levels using 10gr less power than my H-US869 loads, that are (most importantly) temp stable.

Once again, there is nothing "unrealistic" about prior stated performance simply because it happened, has been seen, photographed (the chrono readouts), documented etc.

Nothing was premature or rushed, all stated results were, well, results. Meaning they came from actual testing and experiments done by me.

Now, i'm going to get back to stuff that actually matters, such as studying so i can go to wyoming in october, with my Vodoo :D. Rather than defending myself, my credibility, and my results on the internet.....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.