6.5mm Voodoo -Unveiled

I never have called you a liar, infact I have been very careful to say that I have no boubt your getting the velocity your getting, only that you SHOULD NOT be getting this velocity.

You say you loaded your ammo to 3550 fps with good case life.

Then you say 3440 fps because the rifle seemed to shoot better there,

Now you say you drop it to 3385 fps to increase case life........ What gives, you said case life was great at 3550 fps. This does not make sense, why drop your velocity by 165 fps if there was no case life issues to start with?

I am simply saying that as you gain more experience with your wildcat it seems like your leaning that the velocities you originally posted are turning out to be a result of MUCH higher pressures then you should have been pushing the rifle to, especially a Savage rifle.

Just happy to see that things are coming back down to earth and ending up pretty much right where they should be and where you were told many times that you should be loading that wildcat to.

I suspect you posted on this very old thread because you wanted replies to your comments and results. What other reason is there for posting. This is not facebook, we make posts on here because we want responses to what we are doing.

Have fun, keep studying and have a great hunting season.

Kirby,

In no way am i trying to sneak out of posting BS, not at all!

Everything i stated was true, or i believed was true, to everyone's knowledge it was ar500, it was sold to the club as ar500, and nothing else had previously even marked it.

never stated i got 3600fps, i stated i had no real indications of over-pressure at 3555fps, which is absolutely true. Was it very accurate? no, was it really fast? yes.

i'm trying to understand what your investment here is? why are you so dead set on trying to paint me as a liar? I simply wanted to post an update on my latest results, and let people know that i believe the club and match organizers were misinformed about their steel, the fact that there is a silhouette target at Mayberry GPA, that we were told was ar500, with a hole COM that i put there with the voodoo, is indisputable.

I switched power to Retumbo as i can reach high enough velocity levels using 10gr less power than my H-US869 loads, that are (most importantly) temp stable.

Once again, there is nothing "unrealistic" about prior stated performance simply because it happened, has been seen, photographed (the chrono readouts), documented etc.

Nothing was premature or rushed, all stated results were, well, results. Meaning they came from actual testing and experiments done by me.

Now, i'm going to get back to stuff that actually matters, such as studying so i can go to wyoming in october, with my Vodoo :D. Rather than defending myself, my credibility, and my results on the internet.....

I believe his point is to educate other people so they dont think this is safe and end up blowing a gun up on themselves trying to reach your velocities. I know that you are expierenced (or at least think you are) and I'm not saying you are not. But the more I learn about reloading, long range shooting and related things is that the people that have great expierence are usually right, they have reasons for making the statements they do. Kirby is one of those people he probably has more expirence than you, me and half the members on the forum put together. Maybe your gun is just freakishly fast but to ingnore what he has to say probably isnt a wise decision. Im glad your voodoo is crazy fast, I'm glad it hasnt blown up while you are shooting it. I dont know enough to say he right and you're wrong or vise versa. But the point to take away is that "do not expect to get 3550 out of a 6.5-300 win mag it is possible that you are at dangerous pressures" The fact that you do and feel its safe is great for you.

Oh he beat me to it ;)

Last edited:
You never called me a liar outright, that's why i didn't say that... you were insinuating numerous times that i was trying to cover my *** by posting lower, more "realistic" velocities.

case life was good at 3440fps with H-US869, 4-6loadings as voodoo, 1-2 before as 300 win mag. It was reduced, but still "ok" at 3550fps, again, WITH H-US869! I am at 3385fps with RETUMBO, and to increase case life with temp stable RETUMBO i feel i may slightly reduce the powder charge. Again how you strung my statements of reducing velocity together your (trying) to make me look irrational... why, i'm not sure?
Simply stated i am not able to reach velocities with retumbo like i am with US869, but chose consistency over velocity... because it's still plenty fast!

It seems like you missed that i changed powders, as well as stating i changed lots of retumbo.... if temperatures during hunting season were not so unpredictable, or i thought 3385fps wouldn't get the job done, i can easily load up rounds with US869 that will go 3450 with excellent case life, or higher velocity with somewhat reduced case life.

I posted to let anyone who was interested know that i no longer believe that was true ar500 that i punched, i was trying to clear up incorrect information, not start an argument about what case life and velocity i'm getting with different powders.

Pyroducksx3,
I have only had one 6.5-300 win mag barrel to date, and maybe it's really fast, or maybe US869 is just a perfect fit for producing high velocities in this chambering... i don't know. So i'm going to say if it's possible to ALWAYS get that kind of performance, but at least in my rifle, i was able to... it goes without saying, nobody should take load recipes off the internet, load up some rounds and go shoot! start 10% at least below established loads, and more with wildcats like this.

US869 dose give top velocities but one thing that I will say about US869 be VERY!! careful with top pressure loads with this powder as it has a very bad pressure spick at the top end of its working pressure range, which can be made even worse on hot days.

US869 dose give top velocities but one thing that I will say about US869 be VERY!! careful with top pressure loads with this powder as it has a very bad pressure spick at the top end of its working pressure range, which can be made even worse on hot days.

This is precisely what i was experiencing, and why i moved away from it.

Oliver I can see how you take offence to Kirbys posts however as a reasonable human being I can clearly see that your young pride is leading you to take offence. Someone correct me if I am wrong but the way I see it is Kirby sees a young kid with a surprising amount of knowledge and get-go. but can also see from his own experiences that there is a very good chance you were about to blow that rifle up in your face. He gave you many examples of his own experiences to try and "prod" you into coming to the correct conclusion on your own without being pushy. You need to realize you have 65,000psi by your face and that is not to be taken lightly. As Boss Hoss said there is no free lunch. Yes there are fast barrels but not that fast! Then when it was observed that your velocities were coming down Kirby mentioned that he found it funny that your increasing experience was bringing you back down to expected velocities and you get very defensive. I am young myself at 28 and I have certainly done more load development and expiramenting than you have and I still put a LOT of stock in what the guys like Kirby, LTLR, Boss Hoss etc have to say. Everytime I take on a new project I learn something new. even if its just a factory rifle with a simple hunting load. each time it is different and you should always be able to take something away from it. I am glad you are having fun with your VooDoo, but remember taking a piece of advice you dont really want is always better than loosing a piece of your face because you didnt listen. But it looks LIke you did come to the right conclusions on your own and that is something to be proud of. Just be safe and keep shooting

Your dropping your loads because your finding out the potential hazards with loading to this level. THAT IS A GOOD THING but you were told exactly what your finding out on your own long ago and yet you still are defending your decision to load that hot previously.

Everyone on here is only looking out for your well being. Not trying to be the Big Brother here, just seeing a possible problems and commenting that you should step back and realize what your doing and how things COULD go terribly wrong if you run into a weak case or something like that.

Take the chip off your shoulder, I am not attacking you. I may come across as a bit blunt but thats just my typing style and it at times comes across like that but rest assured that if I see something on here that causes me to think there is a problem I will speak up and give my warning.

Through your own experiments you have toned down your velocity from the first tests. The exact reason why, I could care less to be honest because at least your getting down to where you are not pushing your rifle to the red line.

I was insinuating anything, I said what I was thinking. If I thought you were a liar, I would have said that. Again, I fully believe you got the velocities you mentioned, AGAIN, my only comment is that you SHOULD NOT BE GETTING THAT LEVEL OF VELOCITY IN YOUR WILDCAT and you will not get it with safe chamber pressures in the sub 68,000 psi range.

This is what your already figuring out, you just do not seem to want to admit it. Sounds like you have found out the dirty little secret about the slow ball powders with top loads when things heat up!!!

Just an example for you, I just started developing loads for my 300 Raptor and using US869 I was able to drive a prototype 230 gr 30 cal bullet to 3500 fps with usible pressures, IN THE CONDITIONS I WAS SHOOTING IN AT THAT TIME. That said, I dropped the powder charge of US869 down to a velocity of around 3350-3360 fps just for an added cushion in case temps warm up on me with that load.

You need to learn to take a warning for what it is. I was never attacking you, just trying to get you to listen to reason from being there and doing that MANY times before you and was trying to save you some trouble that I have experienced in the past.

Let the bullet to most of the work for you, do not get so hung up on velocity potential, your load will usually shoot better and your rifle will last much longer.

Oliver,

I need to do finish painting my 308 and do some reloading, but as soon as that's done I'd like to drop when you're out and see how she (the Voodoo) shoots!

How long to your Wyo trip?

Keep up on the homework...

Matt

Hey all-
I have seen the Voodoo in action several times and was a competitor in the match where it busted the AR500. Just last week, we had it out at 200yds vs a piece of AR500 and it was putting small dimples in the face, but otherwise steel was fine. I can confirm that everything Oliver has stated is how it has happened. I'm glad to see him backing it down, because the orginial Voodoo sounded like a howitzer going off, not a high power rifle.

In any case, I like his 6.5x47L better and encourage him to focus his shooting (and $) there. The 6.5x47L is a Jeff Walker Custom Rifle and a real shooter - he hit a bonus target at a match with it a few weeks ago that only one other shooter hit (and that shooter got lucky). Oliver is a very good shooter and reloader and generally safe (that is, when he is off his 4-wheeler).

It was fun reading all of the above because I have seen this play out first hand but had no idea there was such a big following on the internet. I feel like I know a movie star or something :cool:

Dam that kids smart. I just realized how stupid I am. I would be proud of my son to know all that. I'm 35 and only been reloading a couple years. Keep up the good work. I dont care how fast it shoots or if a hole is in steel. I'm glad your interested.. Oh and I agree the reviews werent to belittle you but yet for safety concerns.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts