6.5mm Voodoo -Unveiled

No pics up yet. Will post tomorrow however.

I have 3.960" in my head but that is off the ogive and includes the attachment. They fit into a savage long action mag with >0.075" clearance if that helps narrow it down.

ok because of this post I had to go do a test today I took all my rifles and my steel and set up at 100yrds and try to punch a hole throw it .my list of rifles and speeds 270wsm 169.5 wild cat bullet at 3000fps and no hole 300rum 3200fps 200 nosler acc no hole 338rum 225 nosler acc 3190fps and no hole 257 weatherby 100gr tsx 3560fps no hole 338 ultra max 300gr berger 3092fps and a 265gr barnes at 3120 and no hole so in my test I have to say you shooting throw a ar500 steel plate is bs and the plate I used was 3/8 thick and as soon as my friend gets the video ready I will post this test and the resin for the video is because there will be some people that tell me I'm full of bs

are you sure it was ar500? i leaned my ar500 plate against a stump so it had no give.
shot it at 200 ish yds with a 300rum. using a 185vld going 3350fps, and it didn't even come close to denting it. just a little mark on the paint.

i know things can go through steel, but i would put a lot of money that the target you shot was NOT ar500 steel. someone may have made that claim, but it's pretty hard to believe.

this is a fun thread. looking forward to more info and pics.

Last edited:
I punched a 5/8" R22plate with my 300wm, at my buddie's house @ 100yds. I told him I didn't do it. He also shot the same plate with his 7mmSTW, before we noticed the hole.

A year before the through hole, +/- a few days, I gouged the plate with 168gr TSX.

He claims I hit the same spot with his 180gr SPBT Hornady load, out of my 300WM, and finished the hole. I never chronoed my load or his out of my rifle, so can't tell you the MV.

I'd say, "VOODOO!"

Playing with the numbers on QL using case capacity of 89g. h2o, 140VLD, 86grains US869, OAL 3.400

QL shows max PSI, using these numbers, of 76154psi and 3423fps w/28in barrel and a fill capacity of 112.4%

I believe I read something about 90grains being your max. Those #'s would look like this; fill capacity 117.6%, 92792psi, 3614fps w/28in barrel.

A longer OAL will lower those #'s slightly and I'm not saying QL is the end all, know all, to reloading information but some of these #'s really jump out at you as, WOW, don't you think?!?!?!

FWIW, these QL #'s are based off the assumption you are loading off the lands. If you're touching and or loading into the lands, the max psi #'s are substantially higher.

Those numbers are very different from what I have... Ill get back to you when i get home. I said
90gr can go in the case, comfortable max is 86grains.

Change the weighting factor to .4 which is close to what it should be and the numbers are closer
It gives 3380 fps which should be close to max

Last edited:
I have read over these posts a few times and I decided I had to say something. Please realize I am not saying you are not getting the numbers you are getting. That said, I AM saying you SHOULD NOT be getting the numbers your getting.

Think about it, your saying your getting up to 3600 fps with a 140 gr VLD with 90 grains of powder in a 6.5mm bore.......

If you look at the 7mm STW, you will get topped out at around 3350-3400 fps with a 28" barrel length and a 140 gr bullet weight and the 7mm bore will always shoot a 140 gr faster then a 6.5mm 140 when loaded to same chamber pressures.

If you take the 7mm RUM, you can drive a 140 gr bullet to the 3450-3475 fps range, possibly 3500 fps in that class barrel length with a fast barrel. You will also need 100 grains of powder such as Retumbo to do it.

If you look a the extreme, my 7mm Allen Magnum, you can drive a 140 gr Accubond to slightly over 3600 fps in a 28" barrel length, topping out at around 3650 fps but to do so you need to use 108 to 110 grains of US869 (yes we all know about this powder and have for many years, its not a new development).

So I have a very hard time believing that a relatively moderate capacity 6.5mm magnum will produce these skyhigh velocities.

Lets just go back to the 6.5mm family and do some comparisions.

Your wildcat is marginally larger then the 264 Win Mag, likely only 5-6 grains more case capacity, if that. The 264 Win Mag will get you into the 3200 fps range easy enough but not much higher. I do not see how your making an extra 400 fps out of 5 grains more powder capacity......

If you go up to the 6.5mm STW, you gain significant capacity over what your shooting, infact, the 6.5mm STW has at least as much more capacity over your VooDoo then the VooDoo has over the 264 Win Mag but in real life, the STW will only get you around 3300 to 3400 fps with a 140 gr bullet weight. Your numbers are boarderline magical and that usually does not add up in the real world.

My 6.5mm Allen Xpress is based on a necked down and improved 300 Dakota case, holds roughly 8 grains more powder then your Voodoo and nearly identical to the STW but in a much shorter (2.500") case length. It will top out at the exact same 3300-3400 fps with 140 gr bullet weights depending on barrel length.

My huge 6.5mm Allen Magnum is based on a necked down and improved 338 RUM case. My standard load for that rifle is 99.0 gr of US869 under a 142 gr SMK which produces 3520 fps in a 30" barrel length. How are you getting 80 fps more velocity with 9 grains less powder capacity..... Add to that that in my AM, 101.0 grains will start to loosen the primer pockets and only produces 3560 fps......

Again, I am not saying your not getting the numbers your posting but this is only happening because of one of a few possible reasons.

1. Your Chrono is not accurate.

2. Your WAY over pressured in your loads (Leaning this way)

3. Your developing your loads off your computers key board with Quick Load.

It makes me a bit uncomfortable how often your quoting Quick Load for your performance results. This happens alot, hell alot of the top names in the gun rags will seldom go out and actually put bullets over a chrono, they simply sit on their computers and speculate with QL sadly.

My opinion, if you are actually getting this level of performance, you would be very smart to tone things back to the 3300 fps range before you push things to hard and get yourself into serious trouble.

As far as the Bergers surviving this velocity. Since your using a 1-9 twist, I will not say its impossible to see good accuracy at 3400 fps range. At 3600 fps, I would have to see it to believe it that a bullet is actually making it to the target intact. I will also predict that if you keep the velocity at this level, as your new barrel gets a bit of wear on it, the Bergers will not survive even 3400 fps velocities.

Concerning the penetrating through AR500. Pure and simple, you did not shoot at certified AR500 plate if your rifle penetrated it at 200 yards. That is a simple fact. Mild steel, certainly, some other alloy, sure but not certified AR500. I have shot certified AR500 steel plate with pretty much anything you can think of and if its at least 3/8" thick, you will not penetrate it, even with some of the small caliber super penetrator rounds with solid bullets. On that point, I do not believe it for a second that you penetrated actual certified AR500 steel plate with your Voodoo, no matter what bullet you threw at it save possibly a depleted Uranium cored projo which I am pretty sure you can not get in 6.5mm or something with a tungstun penetrator, again, sure you do not have.

Not sure how old you are but it seems like your a young kid with alot of go but not alot of experience. Anyone that had experience would have seen the velocities your getting and pulled WAY back on the throttle because you know it just did not make sense to be making that kind of velocity with this bullet weight in a 6.5mm bore.

You can not get something for nothing, if your chrono is accurate, your WAY over pressured, back her down before you get yourself into serious trouble. Just some friendly advice but I want to be clear, if your actually getting these numbers and not reading results off QL, smarten up and pull her back, your running a ragged edge here and your going to loose that battle in a bad way.

Kirby I shoot a 6.5 WSM and did not want to rain on the poor guy's parade but you are correct here in my computations as well. There is no free lunch.

I have quite a few 6.5's because they have outstanding ballistics that can be shot easily without a brake. Kirby mentioned some that I shoot and of those he is dead on with the top velocities mine get safely.

BossHoss, the 6.5-300 wsm is one of the best cartridges I have ever done. Performance is good and accuracy is incredible.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.