6.5 creedmoor heavy bullet powder

chev4x4s1975

I'm build a 6.5 creedmoor for bench shooting matches I've thought about trying the Berger hybrid 153.5 bullets I know a little heavy for the creedmoor but just curious if anyone has ever tried magpro powder in a creedmoor Berger gave me some data and I wounder if it really would work in the creed and they are claiming 2750 max but curious if anyone has ever tried this powder in any help would be great

Magpro might work, it's a ball powder so it's dense and may be more prone to temperature issues. RL26 is the typical high velocity powder for the 6.5 Creedmoor, I use Power Pro 4000 for the 147gr ELDMs at 2750. Hornady brass seems to give more speed for me than Lapua brass. Hope this helps.

I only have loaded for five 6.5 SIM's. All of them started easting brass quickly as soon as they hit 2800fps or faster with 140gr in 22-24" barrels. 2700 or very close to it was max speed with good brass life. Starline brass in all of them, and I know 2750 with a 154 dang sure they would devour brass in one bite. Sorry I did not try Magpro, only 4-5 others and the heavy was a 147 I tried.

I've never even heard of Magpro powder
image.jpg

Rl-26 will get you to 2850 with 150s if you have a 26in barrel. But finding that stuff is nearly impossible. Rl-17 works well but is temp sensitive. Rl-16 works pretty well too if you can find it. Never messed with h4350 with heavies

Rl 26 got 2855 in my 24"savage but I was also using Danzac on the boolets. Rl19 will also get over 2800fps easily with any domestic brass. If you don't mind tuning to the weather it shoots bug holes in a factory FV savage but I'm back off the top a bit running 2765ish with the 147s and 150smk's. I got a smiley at just under 2900 from the ejector and I'm 1.8 down from there. Combination temp was much warmer than I usually shoot in the low 80's and I wanted to shoot up the rest of a ladder I had loaded in the wintertime.
Magpro is tricky it's all over the place until you get close to the pressure it wants to run then it gets really consistent for that DA/charge. I always have some around simply because I can find it and it will feed a lot of different guns in a pinch. I've loaded 300wby 243 270 7mag 06 6mmai and a few others but not the Creedmoor. MIght give me something to do next week.

Others that shoot accurately H1000, H4831 Imr4350, 4831 760, and 6.5 stabil H1000 would be the choice for longer throat life. I don't have experience with the VV powders but everyone I know that does and can get enough loves them. I don't have any access locally.