300 WM heavy bullet powder

jkrueger

I almost have my 300 win mag finished and will be using it to shoot heavies (208-230 grain) it has a 30" tube and is throated long to seat these big long bullets out there, its a single shot so OAL can be as far as it needs to be
I have some 4831sc to play with from my 260 but am thinking i should try some slower powders also. I want to grab some H1000 and was considering some Retumbo but dont know if that will be too slow for the WM
anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Ramshot magnum or H1000 are my go to powders for this application with that long barrel Retumbo could work also !

I use H4831SC with 200 grain bullets with excellent results so that's the first powder I'd try. Retumbo and H1000 should also be OK but I don't know if they're any better than H4831SC.

rl25 will do 2800 fps in a 300 win with a 220; so will 7828

I'd guess h1000 and retumbo would do well too. My brother had a 300win in a #1 doing 3100 fps with a 200 speer and retumbo and we were prarie dog hunting with it. If they were above the mound I'd take 'em with my Striker in 22-250; if they were in the mound I'd call in the artillery and he'd blow 'em out of the hole with the 300win and 200 speers.

I get 2920 with berger 210's using 73.1 gr. of RL22 out of a 26" tube.
I used 22 when I was developing the first loads out of my m77 300wm. I decided to stray away from it because it tends to be temperature sensitive and different lots can vary +/- 10 or more fps. I also couldn't get it to shoot good enough, so I switched to H4831sc. I'm still trying to find the sweet load for this gun, but this Ruger is just stubborn.

That has been my experience also with RL22, but it has also been true with H1000. I had developed a very accurate and fast load with the H1000 and needed a new can of powder, so I ran down to the sporting shop I had picked it up at and LOL all the other cans were of a different Lot. Not to worry, there is good consistancy with Hodgens. Wrong! I never could get the accuracy out of that next can and I lost 90 FPS from what I was getting from the first Lot. I am begenning to wonder if they are all susceptable to it from time to time.

That has been my experience also with RL22, but it has also been true with H1000. I had developed a very accurate and fast load with the H1000 and needed a new can of powder, so I ran down to the sporting shop I had picked it up at and LOL all the other cans were of a different Lot. Not to worry, there is good consistancy with Hodgens. Wrong! I never could get the accuracy out of that next can and I lost 90 FPS from what I was getting from the first Lot. I am begenning to wonder if they are all susceptable to it from time to time.
I was lucky the last time I bought powder and they were still selling the same lot number at the store in which I bought a pound 4 months prior. I might just get an 8 pounder next time and not have to worry about it.

That's what I just did last week. But with the H1000 I was just trying it. That first pound was really great. The 2nd one was real disappointing.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts