Powder for heavy bullets in 308 win

A difficult conundrum. With the .308 Win.'s limited case capacity, combined with the additional length of a "heavy" bullet....sufficient quantities of a slower burning powder will be difficult to achieve. Perhaps, having a 'smith open up a much longer throat, for greater OAL, would give more powder flexibility and capacity!

I'll be following, with my limited knowledge.....my previous comment was pure speculation on my part! memtb
With this factory rifle it has a long throat already I can't reach the land if loaded to mag length and I can load 178 eld x at 50 thou off the land but bullet is half way up the neck and have to single feed which is fine at the bench but not so much for some of the hunting I do

With this factory rifle it has a long throat already I can't reach the land if loaded to mag length and I can load 178 eld x at 50 thou off the land but bullet is half way up the neck and have to single feed which is fine at the bench but not so much for some of the hunting I do
Thats why I went with the 185 Juggernaut, I can load it at 2.9" COL, be .010" off the lands with a decent BC, and still mag feed.

Thats why I went with the 185 Juggernaut, I can load it at 2.9" COL, be .010" off the lands with a decent BC, and still mag feed.
I'll second the 185 Juggernaut. Load it to magazine length and send it. IMR4166 is my first choice, with Varget a close second. Something as slow as Norma URP is also a viable choice with a bullet of that weight in a 308 case.

For what it's worth, I have seen the 178's bughole loaded to mag length. Of course, your mileage may vary. If you are limited to mag length, play at mag length. You won't know what your rifle will like until you try it. It just might surprise you.

For what it's worth, I have seen the 178's bughole loaded to mag length. Of course, your mileage may vary. If you are limited to mag length, play at mag length. You won't know what your rifle will like until you try it. It just might surprise you.
Yea thats kind of what I'm stuck with do right now because I do want to load from the mag

I run 190s, 200s and 208s. H4350, VVN540, 550, RL17 are top choices for the heavies. Get a Wyatt extended box to seat them long. The palma case has slightly better volume than the Lapua LR cases. With a 27" 10x barrel I get 2650-2700 with 200 Hybrids and H4350. YMMV
What all has to be done to use a wyatt extended box?

I shoot my 308 to 1000 with ease. I use Varget and H4895 behind a Tipped Sierra Matchking (10 percent better BC than non tipped.) my target at 100 yards show one ragged hole from my Bartlein barreled rifle.

As noted, anything above 180-190 grain won't get you any better. I have used the Flatline bullets and have gone 1100 but the expense and hand feeding has kept me using the Tipped Sierra bullets. Hard to beat, priced right, and relatively easy to get. Plus, not as hard to load well as some of the others.

I shoot my 308 to 1000 with ease. I use Varget and H4895 behind a Tipped Sierra Matchking (10 percent better BC than non tipped.) my target at 100 yards show one ragged hole from my Bartlein barreled rifle.

As noted, anything above 180-190 grain won't get you any better. I have used the Flatline bullets and have gone 1100 but the expense and hand feeding has kept me using the Tipped Sierra bullets. Hard to beat, priced right, and relatively easy to get. Plus, not as hard to load well as some of the others.
How much jump and which TMK? Sorry to derail

Randy Robinette at BIB Bullets will make a 185 gr flat base 30 cal. but it may take him a while... Used a 12 twist too...