308 Win powder

I don't get too caught up with temp sensitivity. I've loaded rifle ammo here in Ohio in July and August with Reloder powders, IMR powders, VV powders, and AccurateArms powders and hunted out west in fall where it's colder and killed everything I ever shot at. Granted, I'm a lucky guy I guess because everything is typically within 350 yards.

If temp is a major concern for you then load your ammo during the same time of year you plan on hunting with it. No worries.

Can't do that really, my schedule won't allow it & the difference between AR. summer and WY fall is quite extreme. Of course shooting when you get there helps.

Thanks, looked at my notes I've been using br2 with 168gr amax.42 and 44gr seems to have been sweet spots. Ill give her another try with gm210m.

Most of the 7.62 NATO match ammo (M118 & M852) was loaded with IMR4895; none used IMR4064. But that was when Remington was operating the Lake City Army Ammo Plant. When Winchester took over, they tried some ball powder in the match ammo; was not all that accurate. Commercial company's match ammo, Federal Gold Medal Match for example used a lot of IMR4064 as well as one or two Re powders. Nobody's got consistantly good accuracy with any ball powder in such cases.

In bolt action match rifles, bullets 168 to 190 grains shot most accurate with IMR4064 when the .308 Win was popular in matches. 200's and 220's shot most accurate with IMR4350. This combination won most of the matches and set virtually all the records.

When I couldn't get any varget for my 308 I tried IMR 8208 XBR and am very pleased with the results.

NOTE they say it is totally insensitive to temperature changes.

IMR 8208

IMR 8208 XBR The latest in the versatile IMR line of fine propellants, this accurate metering, super short grained extruded rifle powder was designed expressly for match, varmint, and AR sniper cartridges. Ideally suited for cartridges like the 223 Remington/5.56mm, 308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO and the 6mm PPC, shooters will find IMR 8208 XBR totally insensitive to changes in temperature, while yielding max velocities and "tack driving" accuracy. Clearly, the competitor's "choice" and the Varmint Hunter's "dream powder".

Ive tried rl15 with 4 bullets 3 bullet weights 3 different primers in 3 different guns two .308 one 6br and cant get squat with it. I'm really scratching my head why. (Im trying so hard because im setting on 4lbs)

Try working 42.0grs. to 44.5grs of R-15 with a 168gr. Sierra MK you will hit the sweet spot some where in between. My Tikka T3 Varmint likes 44.5grs of R-15. Hope this helps. :)

Try working 42.0grs. to 44.5grs of R-15 with a 168gr. Sierra MK you will hit the sweet spot some where in between. My Tikka T3 Varmint likes 44.5grs of R-15. Hope this helps. :)

Ive spent much time with the 168's. Hornady, sierra, and berger. Even pushing them hard i just cant get the energy and wind bucking potential of the heavier bullets. Since its getting close to time to re barrel i just as well figured id build a barrel in the direction ive been heading, which is toward the heavies.

If you wanna share youre load data, Mv, and opinion on temp sensitivity of the 168's with re 15, i would sure appreciate it.

When I couldn't get any varget for my 308 I tried IMR 8208 XBR and am very pleased with the results.

NOTE they say it is totally insensitive to temperature changes.

IMR 8208

IMR 8208 XBR The latest in the versatile IMR line of fine propellants, this accurate metering, super short grained extruded rifle powder was designed expressly for match, varmint, and AR sniper cartridges. Ideally suited for cartridges like the 223 Remington/5.56mm, 308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO and the 6mm PPC, shooters will find IMR 8208 XBR totally insensitive to changes in temperature, while yielding max velocities and "tack driving" accuracy. Clearly, the competitor's "choice" and the Varmint Hunter's "dream powder".

They are making quite a statement when they say "totally insensitive", but if it gives great accuracy & vel. as well, guess it's worth trying.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.