light bullets in 308 win

coyotewallace

I'm lookin to run the 110gh v-maxs out of my Rem. "LVSF"in 308 anyone else using light bullets in their 308...load data an bullet will help thx
Chuck

Here are some max loads from hornady's 4th edition....

H322 47.2
I3031 46.0
I4895 48.0
h4895 48.4
i4064 48.8
w748 53.2

Just glancing back and forth between some 125 data I'd say your max load for the 110 is going to be about 1.5-2 grains higher than 125 data. If it were me and I was trying to find a magic load I'd probably start with max 125 data and work up by .5 grain increments?? 748 sure seems like a good powder with the light bullets in my 308's and it meters really well.

perfect!!thats what I want to hear. how do the 110vmax preform(I MEAN "PREFORM"!!!)??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've shot one whitetail at a ranged 340yds with it and he ran about 25yds and dropped dead. Although I changed to the SST shortly after that for deer because the bullet entered behind the shoulder and blew up inside(no exit). His heart andlungs were pretty much jelly but I would not recommend it for deer. Coyotes on the other hand are a different story. If hit behind the shoulder it puts about a 50cent piece size exit with insides pushed out of it. If you hit the shoulder look out, "BIG" holes and a huge mess. Dead is dead and down here the pelts aren't worth anything anyways. I shot one bobcat with it and there was just a little skin holding his two halves together. "fur friendly round"

I picked up a couple of boxes of 110gr Hornady Soft-points for $20 a box, which is cheap here, v-maxs run for around $40-45. I'm only loading them light with 40.0gr of ADI AR2206 and norma cases @ 2.80", mainly for spotlighting of a night. but they still leave nice exit wounds around 2" at 250y which is the furthest i've used them. I shot 2x5-shot groups when i zeroed them at 150y, The first one was 27mm with 4rnds making 9mm with the 5th shot flying to the right, and the second made a neat 16mm group.

If your going to be using alot of them, the 110 Soft points would work out cheaper and probably just as much fun.

[ QUOTE ]
I've shot one whitetail at a ranged 340yds with it and he ran about 25yds and dropped dead. ...the bullet entered behind the shoulder and blew up inside(no exit). His heart andlungs were pretty much jelly

[/ QUOTE ]

Great report! I shot a muley at 34 yards last year ( 135gr SMK from my 270 WSM) - he ran 25 feet and dropped. Hit same place. Lungs complete Jelly - heart intact. I was thinking it was the high velocity/close range.

I picked up some 110 gr .308 barnes solids (for my .308 and 300 RUMs). I'll be testing them and 125gr BT, 135gr bergers. Light bullets are fun to shoot but the oposite of what's needed for long range hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.