6.5 CM or 260 Rem

I've had both.

I had problems with case neck donuts in 260 Remington when loaded with 140s at 2.950.

I don't have that issue with the 6.5 Creedmoor, and get the same performance.

I not sure of your argument here between the 2 cartridges mentioned.

To me the donuts are caused from your reloading process, usually necking up & nothing to do with using any particular projectile with any cartridge

Last edited:
I have both, 260 bolt gun Remington and ar 10 in 6 5. Creedmore. performance wise equal. The setup for the gas gun took some time and had problems with a reload. I lean toward the 260. The Creedmore is a longer barrel more target and heavy. Ammo for the Creedmore is more plentiful. Now for out west where I live. If you plan to hunt elk, neither is really a great idea, deer ok , Elk and even deer a 300 winmag or bigger. I use 338 winmag for both and can adjust my reloads. My rifle I built on a 98 mauser many years ago and still shoots great . Or better yet get all and and have fun.

I not sure of your argument here between the 2 cartridges mentioned.

To me the donuts are caused from your reloading process, usually necking up & nothing to do with using any particular projectile with any cartridge

The solution was to switch to using a mandrel to size the neck instead of the sizing die button, and only using Alpha brass.

The other solution was to switch to Creedmoor, get the same performance, and not worry about donuts because the bullet isn't seated that far into the case.

wanting to build a hunting rifle for out west and the occasional pig. Ranges will vary from 100 yards to 800ish.

Thinking about using the hammer bullets or Berger target VLDs but not sure yet.

What the are the pros and cons of the 6.5 creedmoor vs 260 rem?

Thanks.
Well I took this pig at 997 yards out in Abilene Texas
IMG_2378.JPG
with my 260 Rem 140 grain Berger VLDs. 290 lb hog 2.5" cutters. I

If you don't reload then 6.5 Creedmoor. But if you do get 260 rem. I got both and I get 250 fps more from my 260 over my 6.5 Creedmoor.

wanting to build a hunting rifle for out west and the occasional pig. Ranges will vary from 100 yards to 800ish.

Thanks.

Thanks.
IMG_2378.JPG
IMG_2385.JPG

335343FB-F432-4FC9-9C8F-73D16E4AED16.jpeg
87CC7BF3-E1DA-4138-9C73-7D0EF42B1369.jpeg

Thanks.

Thanks.
Please show me how the Creedmoor is only 50 FPS slower. You can't push the bullet any further in the lands because the bullet will fall out of the casing. Next the casing is much smaller than the 260 where it holds the powder. (( 1.4902 Creedmoor )) (( 1.5598 260 Rem )) then there is the hole case trim length. ((Creedmoor 1.910)) (( 260 2.035)) I get 250 FPS more out of my 260 Rem than I can my Creedmoor. I have the COAL on my 260 set at 2.820 and it still feeds through my mag. Now when I was loading 1 bullet at a time my coal was 2.8450. Now I hunt with my rifle so that didn't work for me. That's why I set mine at 2.820.

Last edited:
".....The 6.5x55 case will hold approximately 57.9 grains of water, the .260 case will hold approximately 53.5 grains of water and the 6.5 Creedmoor case will hold approximately 52.5 grains of water. (The precise capacity of different brands of cases will vary, due to different wall thickness, etc.)

Therefore, if these three cartridges are loaded to the same MAP, the 6.5x55 will provide the highest performance, the .260 the second highest and the 6.5mm Creedmoor will finish third. This is a physical fact and beyond dispute.....

....From the standpoint of the big game hunter, all three cartridges do the same thing and no big game animal can survive on the difference between them."

the rest of the article is worth reading

https://www.chuckhawks.com/case_capacity_matters.html

View attachment 146846 View attachment 146845

Please show me how the Creedmoor is only 50 FPS slower. You can't push the bullet any further in the lands because the bullet will fall out of the casing. Next the casing is much smaller than the 260 where it holds the powder. (( 1.4902 Creedmoor )) (( 1.5598 260 Rem )) then there is the hole case trim length. ((Creedmoor 1.910)) (( 260 2.035)) I get 250 FPS more out of my 260 Rem than I can my Creedmoor. I have the COAL on my 260 set at 2.820 and it still feeds through my mag. Now when I was loading 1 bullet at a time my coal was 2.8450. Now I hunt with my rifle so that didn't work for me. That's why I set mine at 2.820.
What velocity are you running at with what bullet?

View attachment 146846 View attachment 146845

Please show me how the Creedmoor is only 50 FPS slower. You can't push the bullet any further in the lands because the bullet will fall out of the casing. Next the casing is much smaller than the 260 where it holds the powder. (( 1.4902 Creedmoor )) (( 1.5598 260 Rem )) then there is the hole case trim length. ((Creedmoor 1.910)) (( 260 2.035)) I get 250 FPS more out of my 260 Rem than I can my Creedmoor.
If your getting 250 fps over the 6.5 creed then your neutering the creed with some really wimpy stuff. I was shooting my 6.5 creed at 1590 yards the other day and my velocity was 2885 fps with a 140 eld. Chrono confirmed and drop confirmed.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts