6.5 CM or 260 Rem

I'm my experience, it's all subjective to components. I like the creed because of the design let's it use longer bullets more efficiently. Both are always close to each other in rifles I have been around. If I was going to build a 260 I would probably use a long action, and I probably would AI it. If I had to choose one of the two in standard form, it's definitely going to be a creed.
I've had my 260 sense 1997. I had its action trued when I got my barrel put on. Like you mentioned I myself thought about replacing the action on it. A friend of mine has a 243 AI. It only got him less than 50 FPS. He couldn't tell the difference in accuracy. Who knows. The good thang about my 6.5 Creedmoor is that if I don't feel like reloading my 260 I can just run down to the store and get ammo for the Creedmoor.

Yes....Not initially but after 125-150 rounds the 26" barrel got faster with all loads. The 24" Benchmark Barrel only has around 50 rounds through it but I'm getting higher velocities with RL16 than I did with H4350.
Yes now we are talking. LoL. My barrel on my Creedmoor is the factory Rem 26" but it does have the 5R rifling. I don't have many rounds down the tube but I just don't see getting 250 more FPS out of it after it breaks in. Who knows.

Yes now we are talking. LoL. My barrel on my Creedmoor is the factory Rem 26" but it does have the 5R rifling. I don't have many rounds down the tube but I just don't see getting 250 more FPS out of it after it breaks in. Who knows.
Custom barrels will yield more velocity all else being equal most of the time.

Kinda sounds like the world's fastest 260 barrel and a really slow 6.5 creed lol. Over 3000 fps in a 260 with h4350 is screaming. That has to be red lining it. 2900-2950 I could understand, but 3025?

Like said above, components has alot to do with it. I couldn't get over 2775 with peterson brass but adg I got 2821 and hornady I got 2885 all with the same powder. I'm getting ready to.mess with the 150 smk in hornady brass. Should get interesting I'm expecting to exceed 2900 fps with rl-26.
Yes sir Barrel and brass can make a difference also. I only use Hornady brass in my 6.5 Creedmoor. My 260 I'm still running my Remington Brass. I have some Lapua brass but I was waiting for the Rem brass to go bad. I like my 6.5 Creedmoor. I can just run down to the store and get ammo for it. I'm not nocking the Creedmoor. I'm just trying to figure out how people are getting around 3000 FPS with a 140 grain bullet.

I would like to change out the barrel on my Bergara to a longer barrel and at 7 or 7.5 twist. Do anyone know if the barrels on the Bergara matches Savage, Remington or proprietary?

I
Yes....Not initially but after 125-150 rounds the 26" barrel got faster with all loads. The 24" Benchmark Barrel only has around 50 rounds through it but I'm getting higher velocities with RL16 than I did with H4350.
I did use some R17 and got about 50 FPS more but really inconsistent powder in different temperatures. After I had my Creedmoor load data dialed in I got my drop data done. I went back a few months latter and nothing was right. I checked my zero again and it was just over an 1" high. I didn't change anything. Scope wasn't loose everything was perfect on the gun. When I looked at my bullets the primer was bulging out on 2 of them and the other the case was split. I went and looked back in my reloading book that I wright in all my data I wrote down the temp and it said 74 degrees. The day I went out to have fun it was a little hotter than that at 91 degrees. It was about 100 FPS faster but just not safe. That is crazy difference just because the temperature. I stay away from RL powders cause this reason. I thank someone on here mentioned RL 26. It's a new powder. I'll admit I'm a little nervous on this powder cause my last experience with Alliant powders. But if it's getting 250 FPS more out of the Creedmoor to catch my 260 I'll try it. It would be nice for the Creedmoor just to see 2950ish FPS.

I would like to change out the barrel on my Bergara to a longer barrel and at 7 or 7.5 twist. Do anyone know if the barrels on the Bergara matches Savage, Remington or proprietary?
You can have you barrel change out but you can't just pull a Barrel off of one gun and put it on another if that's what you asking. The head spacing has to be corrected. What caliber rifle is it? What grain bullet you want to shoot? This will depend on the twist rate you will need to stabilize your bullets.

Got ya. Thank you.

I understand about the swapping of barrels, but when ordering I would need to let them know whether it's Remington or Savage. It's the 6.5 Creedmoor and would like to shoot the 150gr and above bullets.

My barrel increased around 100fps after it was broke in..... 2710-2730 initially to 2820-2830 now with different 140 gr bullets.

I

I did use some R17 and got about 50 FPS more but really inconsistent powder in different temperatures. After I had my Creedmoor load data dialed in I got my drop data done. I went back a few months latter and nothing was right. I checked my zero again and it was just over an 1" high. I didn't change anything. Scope wasn't loose everything was perfect on the gun. When I looked at my bullets the primer was bulging out on 2 of them and the other the case was split. I went and looked back in my reloading book that I wright in all my data I wrote down the temp and it said 74 degrees. The day I went out to have fun it was a little hotter than that at 91 degrees. It was about 100 FPS faster but just not safe. That is crazy difference just because the temperature. I stay away from RL powders cause this reason. I thank someone on here mentioned RL 26. It's a new powder. I'll admit I'm a little nervous on this powder cause my last experience with Alliant powders. But if it's getting 250 FPS more out of the Creedmoor to catch my 260 I'll try it. It would be nice for the Creedmoor just to see 2950ish FPS.
RL16 and RL23 are temp stable and RL26 is supposed to be fairly stable at temps under 85 degrees. My experience with RL26 has been good so far and I'm in South Texas and shooting at temps between 85-100 degrees!

Yes sir my 260 Does have a 27" Barrel built by Krieger. And yes it does help with my FPS. My COAL is also 2.820 and not the recommended 2.800. This pushes the bullet closer to the lands which Berger recommends because they shoot better. Doing so also allows the 260 to hold more powder than the reloading books show. Now I DON'T recommend this unless you are an experienced reloaded and know how to look for pressure signs. I did load my 260 hot enough to blow primers to help me find my max charge on ( MY ) rifle with my chosen powder. I then wrote down the grains of powder that blew my primers out. After that I performed a latter test to find the charge my 260 liked. It is way below the charge that was blowing primers. I use this method on all my rifles.
If you went all the way to "blowing primers to find max", you really need to learn how to find signs of pressure. No way did it go from a safe load to blowing primers in any reasonable charge weight testing jump. No cratered primers, flattened primers, case head swipe, sticky bolt lift, pronounced click on primary extraction, ejector marks, etc.? You never mentioned your charge weights.

I had a .260Rem w. 14s & H4350 in a 26" Bartlein. Only could manage 2920fps in a safe but hot load.

I had a 28" 6.5SLR w. 140 & H4350. 2960 fps was absolute max, on the verge of pressure for a hunting load.

I would hate to see you in the Darwin Awards contestant list.

Last edited:
No, the bolt nose is coned and has to be sent back to bergara for a re-barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.