260 rem or similar

avfromvt

I am going to be hunting some larger clear cuts in VT I am looking for a rifle to shoot deer and the occasional black bear -- ranges from very close to a max of 500 yards. I am also not a huge fan of the recoil of the magnum calibers and do not want use a break. I have been looking at the 260 rem and think it would suit my needs.

- I don't mind a heavier rifle somewhere in the 8 ish lb range
- I like the look and feel of a more classic wood stocked rifle but it is not a must
- If i do go with the 260 which manufacturer offers the correct twist to stabilize heavier bullets.
- not sure if the 260 is the right caliber

Was looking for some suggestions on a factory rifle that would suit my needs. Would like to keep the rifle cost to <$1200

Thank you in advance
Adam

I shoot a 260 and although mine is superbly accurate, sub 0.1s, I do not know I would choose that for the occasional black bear. Though putting the bullet where it counts is a great advantage and of utmost importance, I believe the small diameter bullet is not going to dump the energy you need for a quick kill and personally I would not want to be chasing a wounded bear. As for deer, it's a fantastic caliber. I would look more toward a 7mm-08 or 308 if you want to stay in the lower recoiling realm of a short action. Are the 30-06, 280, and such too heavy in recoil? The 260 is a fantastic cartridge but my personal opinion makes it one I wouldn't chase bears with.

280 is a real possibility the other issue is I currently do not reload but do plan to start over the winter

Kurt, that's pretty amazing, though I don't know if I'm brave enough to search him if he didn't drop over where I could see him. I guess I have heard too many horror stories here in the thick eastern NC swamp land where the bear shot with a 30-06 came after guys tracking them. Side note, Roy Weatherby took dangerous game with the 257, so I'm sure black bear with a 260 would work, if you made the great shot.

A 260 with the 130's at 2900 fps still yields over 1000lbs of energy at 600 yards. Get a Remington cdl in 260 and run the 129 accubond long range or 130 bergers with 45ish grains of h4350 and there is not a black bear or whitetail on earth that can tote a well placed shot very far. I had a 120 pound doe run 150 yards with no heart after being shot with 208 amaxes at 3000 fps. Sometimes wild animals just have a strong will to live.

I have been looking at the tikka rifles for a while and the savage LRH I will look at the cdl as well what twist rate is ideal for the 130's?

Get a 8 twist,which is what most come with. A savage 10 th xp would be the cheapest way out and in my opinion would shoot better than any Remmy. A tikka in 6.5x55 or 260 would be great but are as hard to find as moon rocks.

A 260 with a 140 grain bullet is plenty for just about anything in my opinion. Greater retained energy and less wind drift than the 308 plus exceptional sectional density for maximum penetration. Not to mention very little recoil.

If you are thinking .260 and looking for a little more umph.. look at the 6.5-285 or a 6.5-06.

I would like to stay with the 260 either the tikka or the savage LRH. I have never been to impressed with the savage rifle composite stocks but it might have to do.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.