460 weatherby mag long range???

mcharger440

I'm toying with a new build and was trying to think outside the box ...Lehigh bullets has a 458-528 grain long range bore rider bullet is there something I'm missing or does this have some real potential.... The only reason I got to weatherby is that I have a mk v action sitting there in the safe and with the jump on a weatherby wouldn't a bore rider be ideal ??? Thoughts??

I hate to discourage anyone...

My observations:
not a large number of bullet options for high BC .458s
a velocity of ~2650 is doable with a 28" barrel, 30" or more might more fitting to the project. The factory 24" will limit things.
the factory twist rate will not be enough to stabilize the bullet.

Since the barrel won't stabilize anyway, a barrel change is in order. If it were me (and I have "plans"), I would go with something closer to a 375 Mjolnir found here http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/500-jeffery-based-wildcats-107936/

or if commited to the 458 caliber, a 458 version.

I currently have just the bare action sitting there and Shilen said it was not a problem to make me a 33" blank in a 14 twist and on lehighs website they state that a 15 twist is sufficient at 2800 now I won't make 2800 but at a 14 twist I would think it would stabilize that bullet and if I could scratch 2700 out of a 31" barrel the long range potential should be astronomical ...right...???

I would do a .416 over a .458. Cutting Edge makes a 340gr .780 BC bullet that can go nearly 3000fps in a RUM case so another 100+fps would be easy with a 416 Weatherby case They also make others with higher BC's. The .375 is probably the better answer as there are a lot more bullets available in .375 cal as has been mentioned.

I bet a .416 Weatherby would go 2000+ rounds. That is a lot of punishment on both ends.

That is a lot of punishment on both ends!

understatement!!!

Why!!!

I think a black powder cannon would be more fun!

This is still in the idea stage but you guys got me thinking what about a 408/378 weatherby mag??? Built similar to a 50bmg(brake big barrel and heavy chassis)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.