.408-460 Weatherby?

Hunterx787

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts would be on something like this or if anything like this has been done. I was poking around on the net and couldn't really find much but with an H20 capacity of around 140gr I would think you would be able to get decent velocity with something along the lines of Lehigh's .408 match 400gr bullets. Not something I'd think about undertaking, just curious. Also if this in the wrong section I apologize.

the 30-378 Wby and 338-378 Wby are necked down versions of the 378 Wby, and the 460 is a necked up version. Maybe check for 408-378 Wby threads instead.

I would imagine lots of times in both configurations.. Big power there, you must be hunting in the Jurassic period! Some real long range knock down horse power, my shoulder couldn't take it or long off the bench!

That .375 Zayne looks like one hell of a round, that's a nice looking gun too. Did you end up getting the dies in and some loads worked up?

If a .460 Weatherby will sling a 400 grain bullet around 2700 fps, I would guess a long throated-long barreled .408-460 would get close. A larger caliber will usually get more velocity with the same weight bullet off the same case than a smaller caliber. There will be a huge difference in bearing surface between a lathe turned copper VLD .408 bullet and a cup and core soft point .460 bullet of the same weight. The longer .408 bullet would also need to be seated way out as not to take up powder space.

Not yet. We did have a case that we tinkered with that had a slightly larger neck so we could hand seat a bullet. Zayne and I wanted to see what the round will look like with bullets seated. We hand seated 2 bullets...

First.... The 325 Chinchaga

Attachments

• IMG_2788.jpg
    IMG_2788.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 117
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.