Long Range 44 Mag

I did not bring the 460 S&W up to put down the 44 Mag. Most people cannot .shoot either well enough to reach +100 yds. But if you strech a revolver to 100 yds then the 460 S&W is the top dawg.

My revolver experiance is a paltry. 100K+ of 357 and above so I still have lots to learn. I have always found heavy bullets to be more accurate in revolvers. It may be the extra length bridging the cylinder throat to the forcing cone and reducing the tipping potential. I use a 358429 172gr Keith in my 357 at 1320 fps and it is amazing out past 130 yds. 300gr bullets of good hard cast design would prove to move the 44Mag to at least 200 yds if you can hit well at that range. Heavy, hard cast bullets drop game well all out of proportion to their energy. I prefer cast bullets as the velocity potential is higher as the bore friction is much reduced. Example: in 44 a jacketed 240gr is maxed w/ 24gr of H110 but a cast 240gr can be pushed by 25 gr of H110. Velocity in a 6" barrel will run about 100-120fps faster for the cast bullet (1545fps last time out). That 44 Mag load is acceptable for hunting past 100yds IMHO.

I mentioned 500 yds in reference to the writing of Elmer Keith and tested in the 90's by Mike Venterino. The TC Contender would be my pick for that kind of shooting. But Elmer tried it and Mike said he probably was telling the truth. G&A published a picture of Elmer's front sight on his revolver with the three gold threads he had inlaid to use as reference hold over points.

Who am I to argue with that?

KB

Yep

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.