338Edge Action Question

Rugerdiggs

I am selling a few guns to build a repeating 338Edge and haven't bought anything yet so asking for some input please. My first plans was to pick up a SS Sendero in a rum and use the action and the hs stock. A decent sendero will run $800-$1000, my question is the action on the sendero any different than the action on the sps stainless? I have seen them new for around $600, could pull the barrel and stock off and maybe get $100-150 out of it. I have also thought of going with a custom action like surgeon, stiller, or defiance and wouldn't have to worry about the truing of them. Not sure which one I will be money and time ahead on. All input will help thanks.

I am selling a few guns to build a repeating 338Edge and haven't bought anything yet so asking for some input please. My first plans was to pick up a SS Sendero in a rum and use the action and the hs stock. A decent sendero will run $800-$1000, my question is the action on the sendero any different than the action on the sps stainless? I have seen them new for around $600, could pull the barrel and stock off and maybe get $100-150 out of it. I have also thought of going with a custom action like surgeon, stiller, or defiance and wouldn't have to worry about the truing of them. Not sure which one I will be money and time ahead on. All input will help thanks.

Every action regardless of make need some work maybe not a full blueprint but some work is always expected. I would go with what ever you rifle smith suggest but I only base that advice on my experience with the rifle smiths who post on the site. I know they know what they are talking about I could not and will not vouch for your locals guys knowledge base.

Even though blueprinted factory actions are the foundation of many fine shooting rifles, I've never spoken to a competent riflesmith that "recommends" that choice over a quality custom action for the basis of a new build.

It is often stated that the price difference (cost savings) between the two is not great enough to justify the donor action/blue printing choice. Additionally, the resale of a full custom is always better than the factory based semi-custom.

I have many semi-custom Rem action based rifles that shoot well. However, the few full custom rifles that I own certainly have a special appeal and shoot exceptionally well.

Just some food for thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.