Action Question

I would suggest finding a Weatherby Mark-V action that was previously for a .378 case round and using it...Such as .30-378, .338-378, or .378 Wby. not sure, but the larger caliber Weatherby might be based off the same parent case, but I'm not positive.

I am a big fan of the Mark-V actions as well. I love the 60* bolt-throw. I have a Mark-V AccuMark in .257 Wby Mag, and it's one smooth shooter. I want another AccuMark in .30-378 Wby just for fun.

Well, there's alot of guys building custom .338 Lapua's on trued Remington 700 magnum actions, and having great success with them. So I would assume that it would be able to handle the .378 Wby as well. Plus, the 700's are a tried & true action. Parts are readily available. And every smith knows how to true one of them up. Personally, I'm a huge Rem 700 fan. Alot of guys on here aren't for some reason. I've always have good experiences with them over the years.

I am actually researching the m700 ultra mag action. I am not having much luck finding anyone who has built a 378 on anything other than weatherby actions. I am still hoping more possibilities out there to build on.

I am building the rifle for a couple big game hunting trips we are scheduling as well as pretty much one upping my two buddies who have 375 h&h and brag endlessly.

You should go for the .30-378 Wby Mag if you wanna 1-up them. It's a monster. Make sure you put a radial brake on the skinny end.

I'm guessing by "hunting" you don't mean Long Range Hunting? The 375 Ruger has greater case capacity than the H&H and the 375 RUM has greater case capacity than the Ruger. If I was picking a 375 "hunting" round for large game, say out to 400 yds or so, I would pick one of these. My first choice of action for any 375 build would be a custom. After that it would be a Mark V or 700. In the case of the 700, I would replace the bolt and recoil lug.

A 378 Wby would top the heap of common factory cartridges but very spendy compared to the the RUM or Ruger. If you went with the 378 I would recommend a custom action first followed by the Mark V.

My smith who is currently building a 300 RUM on a 700 action for me is a big Mark V and 378 series fan. He has done hundreds of them.

If I was going to build that class fo 375, I would do a 338 Lapua Imp version on a custom action. I would not do a Lapua class cartridge on a factory action and if I did, it would be a Mark V.

For a LR 375, I would look at 408 Cheytac or something in that class like a 375 AM.

I am set on the 378 wby. I am aware that it may not be the greatest choice for L.R. or at least not much over 500-600yds. However that is not my concern for this gun. I want it to stop a Buick in its tracks and look good doing it. I have two long range rifles at this time chambered in 257 Wby. and 300 RUM. My next project will be 338-378 Wby. which will be built matching the 378. I have did a little research on 408 and as impressive as it is I am turned off by the availability of components for it as well as the service of the company.

I checked on the Stiller tac 338 action this afternoon. I also checked with Montana rifles and will most likely go with them unless I can locate a stainless mark v action.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.