338EDGE Brass PROBLEM!!!!!

300rum

MARRY CHRISTMAS, to all of you...

Ok I need your help guys...
I need help to fix this problem.
I just start to reload for 338edge a brand new brass NOSLER(300rum) with RCBC 338EDGE FL die.

After lubricate the case with oil, and using FL die, I got small residue as powder on neck area of the brass.

If I run the same round on FL DIE again EVERY TIME I GOT RINGS OF RESIGUE AS IN PHOTO.

Please advise what I did wrong!!!!

See photo bellow... (small pawder residue is from 1st run, and the rings ar from every time when I run the same case on FL Die.)

338edgeFLbrassresidue.jpg

Thank you
Chris

Last edited:
MARRY CHRISTMAS, to all of you...

Ok I need your help guys...
I need help to fix this problem.
I just start to reload for 338edge a brand new brass NOSLER(300rum) with RCBC 338EDGE FL die.

After lubricate the case with oil, and using FL die, I got small residue as powder on neck area of the brass.

If I run the same round on FL DIE again EVERY TIME I GOT RINGS OF RESIGUE AS IN PHOTO.

Please advise what I did wrong!!!!

See photo bellow... (small pawder residue is from 1st run, and the rings ar from every time when I run the same case on FL Die.)

I can't figure out what you're talking about. Could you restate the situation and question please? Thanks.

OK Guys...
I recorder the process...
Here is the movie.

Are you lubing the inside of the neck? The best lube I've found is the imperial sizing wax as well.

AJ

Sorry for my english..

So... all the residue are from the outside neck brass.
After I remove the brass from DIE, it comes out with all this rings residues, around the neck case.

Here is the short movie of the FL resizing process.
As you can see after FL resizing around the outside case neck are lots of small case residue, and If I will resize again I will get rings of residues on outside case neck.

What I did wrong?? As you can see I need lots of power to necked up from 300rum case to 338 EDGE, when I used the press.

Video of error - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chris

Last edited:
I picked up some Imperial dry lube just last week, have not had the chance to try it yet tho. Appears to be graphite based but am only guessing about that. Might help.

I liked your video.

I always chamfer the necks of brass I am necking up, so it slips over the sizing button easier.

For necking up, I usually resize the neck first in a neck expander die.

Question, how low in the die is your sizing button? All you need to do to use 300RUM brass in a 338EDGE is to run it over your sizing button, you don't need to go all the way up, you are just working the brass 2 additional times if you do that.

AJ

I liked your video.

Question, how low in the die is your sizing button? All you need to do to use 300RUM brass in a 338EDGE is to run it over your sizing button, you don't need to go all the way up, you are just working the brass 2 additional times if you do that.

AJ

All the way up...
As you see in the movie, I feel 2 very stiff position:
1 when the button is almost up
2nd time when the button in almost down

To complicat on FL, and to many steps.
How about if I go just NS?
What I have to do? Is more easely to necked up 300rum case to 338edge case?
What are your experiences with NS dies?

Do somebody have the starting load for US 869 powder with 300gr SMK for 338edge?
And also for Retumbo powder.
From this 2 which one is less temperature sensitive, and give you more energy fro 338edge?

UFFFffffff.. To much staff to assimilate when you are changing the caliber. I just got yesterday form gunsmith my new 338Edge rifle, and I need to fix all this problems, before jumping in reloading for 338edge.

Thank you
Chris

Last edited:
If you adjust your sizing button down and then only run the brass over the button and NOT all the way up into your die, you will be good for your first reload.

All that is required to turn new 300RUM brass into 338Edge brass is going over the sizing button.

AJ

Thanks for the video. Sure haven't seen that before.

-Is your die clean and cleaned regularly? It's almost as if something is in the die that shouldn't be that's perhaps causing the problem.

-As AJ said, are you chamfering the case mouth so that the sizer button can more easily slip over it when the case is going up into the FL die?

-For that operation (neck expanding), I would also reccomend Imperial Sizing Die Wax (Redding owns them now, I think.). For FL sizing I haven't found anything that works better and is easier to apply and removes easier than Hornaday One Shot Case Lube.

Good luck. Wish I could give a clear-cut answer.

i wouldn't call that residue, i'd call it brass shavings. looks more like a sharp edge cutting small pieces of brass to me.

i use a 30 cal sizing mandrel first, and then push them out to 338 cal. then i run them through the FL die.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.