300rum-338edge

hsshooter

First time posting so bare with me. Was wondering if any of you fellas have or know anyone who has taken a cut rifled 300 rum barrel and had it turned into a 338edge or 338 rum. It is a med contour fluted barrel on one of my old HS PHR

While possible to do, you won't find a quality barrel maker that will rebore/rifle your barrel for less than the cost of a new barrel if they will even do it at all.

I disagree on the cost. Classic Barrel Works in Prescott Az easily beats the cost of a new barrel.

While I haven't had this particular combination done, I did have a 30" #7 lilja SS 7mm barrel rebored/rerifled to 338. Dan Pederson did this for approx $225.

Funny you should ask about making a 338 Edge, as I have a 27" #5 fluted SS lilja in 300 RUM with a Vais brake that is getting tired. When it finally goes I will make it an 338 edge. The savings will be significant compared to another fluted barrel with muzzle brake.

Here is his website: Classic Barrel Works

I personally wouldn't accept the additional risk associated for the minimal savings. If you have had good luck then more power to ya! I usually end up on the other end of things..haha

Well thanks fellas for replying. Found a fella in central Alberta who is willing to do something like this and has many times. Although he is never went up to the edge just the 338rum. Guess i'll have to buy 338edge reamer and go, no-go gauges for him it sounds.

He's definitly not familiar with the edge he asked me for all the specs and info on it. This seems dicey even though he has done it lots with other calibers hey

Wonder if edge with 300 smk's will cycle through mag or if it will be a single shot. Anyone with any coal info would be helpful. HS mag is 3.700"

You'll be OK will 250's but the 300's are usually a bit longer than that depending on how its throated.

I would just have him do the .338 RUM if he already has a reamer. It would put you within 30 fps of the edge. Even if you have a surplus of brass for your rum, its easy to neck up and trim.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.