338 XC, Snipetac, or EnABELR

sounds like my cheytac

i run a 300 smk at 3150 with 130.0 h50bmg

i can run up to 3300-3400 but mv variation and accuracy goes to poop
Do you have the same issue with other bullets when you push them hard?

Hopefully mine will speed up as I get more rounds down the tube and start increasing powder charge. Did you jump in 2 grain increments like David says in his write up about the XC?
Hope so. No, I started at the recommended 4grs below his published, at 124grs h50bmg, and went up 1/2 gr increases. Pierced a primer at 128. Thought I had a velocity node at 125.5 to 127. Started loading 126.5 and pierced another primer. Velocity was 3202, by Magneto Speed. Switched to Fed 215 primers, and dropped back 2grs , 124.4. I guess I have enough down the pipe, it has sped up, as it's running 3200 at that load still. May be a slow barrel.
But it shoots great!
I'd think a different powder might be the ticket. Looking at acquiring Quickload, since there is not much on the net about it yet, that I've seen.
Sorry, I got long winded. Love that thing.

How many rounds through it? most barrels pickup 100-150 fps after 150-200 rounds. That being said a buddy of mine is running 300gr Bergers at 3180 but swelled case heads after 3rd firing, I've told him to back the load off but not sure where he's at with that. Depending how much he's gotta back the load off It's only going to be slightly faster than a 338 Edge.
What distance was that group at?
What powder ?

Hopefully mine will speed up as I get more rounds down the tube and start increasing powder charge. Did you jump in 2 grain increments like David says in his write up about the XC?
i jumped 5 at a time in my cheytac to find pressure (probably too much but it worked fine for me). 2 is probably perfect

Do you have the same issue with other bullets when you push them hard?
great question, i'm going to switch over to some 300 a tips next and see what happens.

i tried 3 of them so far, same load the smk's liked (130.0 h50), just directly swapped the bullets.

Recoil seemed noticeably harsher, sd went up, lost 40 fps over the smk, and group was meh.

i was shooting off my tailgate in harsh/cold conditions, so next step is to get a picc rail installed so i can shoot properly from prone and be more serious testing

Loading up a ladder test at the moment and started compress loads. I started at 120gr H50BMG and got to 125gr and they are compressed, how much more should I go up? Bullet is 275gr SBII.

Loading up a ladder test at the moment and started compress loads. I started at 120gr H50BMG and got to 125gr and they are compressed, how much more should I go up? Bullet is 275gr SBII.
[/QU
What increments are you going up in? Just curious.

How temp stable is it?
Sorry I don't know. I don't track his load and never heard him comment on it.
I know he's running in that 120 gr area with RL 50 behind 300gr Berger's and he's having issues with swollen web after a few firings.

1gr. On my other guns I've done 0.5gr. I read on Tubbs article that he was jumping 2gr, but I'm not that brave being this new to this case/rifle/bullet combination.

Sorry I don't know. I don't track his load and never heard him comment on it.
I know he's running in that 120 gr area with RL 50 behind 300gr Berger's and he's having issues with swollen web after a few firings.
Your buddy is running a 33XC? Swelling cases is a Big Deal, to my mind, and Peterson's XC brass seems darned tough! Your bud must like living on the edge, man!
I read Peterson brass with stood 85000psi in testing. Yeesh!!

Recent Posts