338 snipetac???

In what world is the EDGE and the CHEYTAC anywhere near the same in any dimention? Am I missing something?

Kinda confused myself..they are no way the same and i think we have misunderstood his post...no one has answered my question...why cant i simply run a 375 chey through a sizing die and call it good? Why must i improve the shoulder?

In what world is the EDGE and the CHEYTAC anywhere near the same in any dimention? Am I missing something?

Never talked any dimensions only referred to the edge in the sense you take 300 rum brass and one stroke have edge. We in the 338-375 made brass in one stroke going down from 375 brass. That is all I was saying.

Sorry for misunderstanding. Haha i just really wanna stay away from fireforming. I dont see the extra 100fps as a positive. Less barrel life/ more powder/ "looser" primer pockets/ extra work. Since the primer pockets are going to go before the neck/shoulder i just dont see it benefical. Sure i can buy preformed brass for 4$ a pop but why if i can neck down the 375 case to make a "standard" 338 cheytac?

Sorry for misunderstanding. Haha i just really wanna stay away from fireforming. I dont see the extra 100fps as a positive. Less barrel life/ more powder/ "looser" primer pockets/ extra work. Since the primer pockets are going to go before the neck/shoulder i just dont see it benefical. Sure i can buy preformed brass for 4$ a pop but why if i can neck down the 375 case to make a "standard" 338 cheytac?

This is how I would go. How fast do you need these giant bullets going? I don't even see any benefits as far as extreme long range shooting. It would help out but still will not drive it self in all different conditions. So if it take as few rounds to get on and then you play. In no time the barrel is gone.

You will not get an extra 100 fps my merely "improving" the .338-.408 case. You can comfortably push a 300 gr bullet in the standard .338-.408 case.

That would be fine with me. I dont need the ultra speed of the AM or the snipetac, i just want speed and simplicity with 3200fps being the point i want to reach. With a 30-32in barrel being the longest I will go.

Don't worry about barrel life. Since the initial load work up I put maybe 20-30 rounds through mine a year. It is going to last a long time at that rate. This is not the type of gun you take to a shooting school for a 500 round weekend. This is not a prairie dog gun.
Steel inside 1500 yards with moderate wind is boring. Even at 2k, it takes me a couple shots to figure out the wind and then I let the people who came with me take a couple shots just so they can say they have shot over a mile.
Most of the 20-30 rounds are letting other people shoot it to see how easy it is to shoot far with the right equipment (vectonix, kestrel, etc).
For hunting you need just the right planned prone setup for this system to work. The size and weight make it hard to adapt to your surroundings when an animal presents itself. I'm amazed at how some of these tv shows can always get prone. I seem to always have a small hill, grass, rocks, snow, etc. between me and the game. I have a 7mm wsm and a 338 edge I carry hunting and shoot classes with.
If you are looking for one hunting gun for everything, looking to do a lot of shooing, the snipetac is not it. If you want a purpose built rig that makes long range look easy, I can't think of a better gun.

Kinda confused myself..they are no way the same and i think we have misunderstood his post...no one has answered my question...why cant i simply run a 375 chey through a sizing die and call it good? Why must i improve the shoulder?

You can do just that. Improved or not. This is how I run all my Ackleys and my new 338 CT Max. It's a blown out and improved 375 Chey Tac necked down to .338". I just run 375 Chey Tac through a sizer. Load my full house load and enjoy. No need to be wasting barrel life or components fire forming.

The 338-408 has been done. You can do it that way too. Just run the 375 through your 338-408 die and go hunting. In a 30" barrel you will have to run it full throttle to get 3200. That would be the reason to improve it.

The only reason to improve a case is to gain case volume. The case is just a bladder once in the chamber. It will be up to full volume very early in the pressure cycle so by the time peak pressure occurs it is in the full case volume needed for the increased load. This is why simply improving a case doesn't require case fire forming.

The only real extra cost to running the Chey Tac cases is the cost of the extra powder and the dies are expensive. I plan to shoot mine at everything including some long range digger squirrels. I'm pushing 50 years old. Who am I saving that barrel for? No one. I hope to be able to burn up several of these before I check out.

No. You can size the neck just enough to create a nice tight false shoulder. Then charge it up with your improved load and seat the bullet as you normally would. Then go hunting. Accuracy and performance will be right there. When it comes out of the improved chamber then it will be it's new shape.

I appreciate the advice! So load em up and shootem! I like the way you think! Just didnt know if the accuracy would be there or not. Didnt wanna cause pressure problems

I appreciate the advice! So load em up and shootem! I like the way you think! Just didnt know if the accuracy would be there or not. Didnt wanna cause pressure problems

I shoot 1000 yard BR. I have a couple of comp tubes which are chambered in 6mm Dasher. Simply neck up a 6mm BR brass to 25 cal, and then neck down to 6mm again part way.... ONLY ENOUGH so that it will rechamber. You have just created a False sholder. MY Dasher fire form loads are THE MOST ACCURATE LOAD I have ever shot. PERIOD!! My only problem is that I like the fit of the FF loads to be very TIGHT, so the bolt closes very hard on the FF case. This creates the problem of upsetting the gun on the bags during a fast string. I like to get my 5 (or 10) shots off VERY fast, and you can't do that when the gun moves around when you try and close the bolt. So I don't use it in 600/1000 comps. It is an AWSOME F class load, and HELL on prairy dogs. :D

Now, that is just me. It gives me PERFECT brass. You probably don't need to be so extreem with your headspace....simply bump the sholder a fraction more and the bolt will close like you chambered a factory case.

Soooo....like was stated above, load and shoot

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.