338 Sin

I had been hesitant to read this thread, thinking we now have plenty of 338 rounds, but I am glad I read it, great idea!!

Unless I am missing something if this round had been on the map before, the 338 Norma would not be needed.

It was stated that the diff in cap. of this round & the Rum is 6 grains but if you were seating a
long bullet in a Rem. 700 action, wouldn't the usable case cap. in some cases be less than 6 grains?

Realy like this idia for the guy that thinks he needs a repeter ( like my dad ).

If berger ever gets there 250gr vld's out it should realy make this round hot.

so i'm not trying to knock your idea of the 338 sin but what does it have or gain over the 338 norma. i'm getting more interested in the norma day by day and curious about improving the shoulder. i'm not a savage shooter at all. just pondering about a good 338 round

The 338 uses a std mag bolt head and the norma uses the lapua bolt which is a lot harder to come by compared to a std mag thus makes it easy to swap a barrel on just about any brand of action.

I commend you on coming up with a new cartridge.
That being said, I don't see the advantage over just using a 338 RUM, and if you are worried about mag length, just put a wyatt box in the action for about $50.00 instead of spending the money on custom dies for a 338 Sin.
You yourself state you are trying to get RUM performance.
The better standard action caliber in my opinion is the 338 Norma, and yes it can be done on a 700 bolt, just open the boltface up alittle. Much better quality brass, on par with Lapua.
There sre alot of great 338's out there, I just don't see the niche that this caliber would fill that is not already taken care of.
I will follow this thread with interest to see if I am proven wrong. Good luck with your endeavor.

I commend you on coming up with a new cartridge.
That being said, I don't see the advantage over just using a 338 RUM, and if you are worried about mag length, just put a wyatt box in the action for about $50.00 instead of spending the money on custom dies for a 338 Sin.
You yourself state you are trying to get RUM performance.
The better standard action caliber in my opinion is the 338 Norma, and yes it can be done on a 700 bolt, just open the boltface up alittle. Much better quality brass, on par with Lapua.
There sre alot of great 338's out there, I just don't see the niche that this caliber would fill that is not already taken care of.
I will follow this thread with interest to see if I am proven wrong. Good luck with your endeavor.

The niche revolves around action design, not a lack of caliber offerings.

This round makes the most sense to us Savage guys who have limited mag length to work with.

With a Savage, you just can't whip out a dremel and drop in a wyatt box.

This was designed to work with pretty much every rifle out there and to be easy to do it too. With a $320 on up barrel and a set of dies you can be in business with a Savage, Howa, Remington, ect. So if someone is on a tight budget and can't afford spending $1,000 on an action plus custom barrel, gunsmith, dies and everything else they can still have a very capable long range round that can be used as a repeater. This was mainly designed for the Savage crowd but will be used on others too, and a 338 win mag barrel can be reamed out to 338 Sin with ease.

Just received my tracking number from PT&G and it looks like I will be making metal chips on Monday. This weekend I will work on getting the stock ready for it. Now if midway can get me my brass and die parts we will be in business.

Exact same case capacity as the 338 Norma if you are refering to usable case capacity.
If you are talking total case capacity, than it will be less than the Norma.
Should be a good performing cartridge for what you want it for.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.