338 Sin

I loaded a 338 Edge and a 338 Norma with a 225 TTSX the other day to mag length for a Savage and Vanguard action and what the 338 Sin will do is very clear when you see bullet position. I sure hope this performs at 338 Norma levels!!

So am I understanding this correctly, this cartridge is being done for the Savage action, so you can shoot the 300gr SMK seated with the BT at the neck/ shoulder junction, and have it fit into the standard magbox of a savage action?
I do not own a Savage action, can you tell me what is different about it that this is required, and a regular 338 RUM will not work.

The Sin case is .27" shorter than an Edge, and .17" shorter than the RUM.

I'll trim down these cases and seat a 225g Accubond and a 300g SMK and look at the real bullet placement and OAL's.

Just thinking ahead a bit. If this wildcat works out I know you mentioned you have ties to Savage. Are they thinking about chambering guns for this if it works as you think it will?

Then we just need an ammo factory to get on board and we will have brass, recipes, etc.!

I will be offering barrels and most likely rifles too. Brass will coime formed too so that will be a big bonus. And the cartridge has the ackley design so your brass will last longer also.

I will be offering barrels and most likely rifles too. Brass will coime formed too so that will be a big bonus. And the cartridge has the ackley design so your brass will last longer also.

Sinarms,

You are on a roll man! Keep it up! Awful anxious to see where this goes! Thanks for keeping us up to date.

The Sin case is .27" shorter than an Edge, and .17" shorter than the RUM.

I'll trim down these cases and seat a 225g Accubond and a 300g SMK and look at the real bullet placement and OAL's.

Geargrinder,
Could you post a pic with those bullets seated showing coal?

The larger diameter of the Norma cartridge will also apply more thrust to the lugs.

rfurman that is another reason why you don't want to go over the std mag case head.

I chambered a barrel today and fitted a break. Need to bed the action in the stock, open up the channel for the barrel too. I ordered up the stuff I need to make a hydro form die from mcmaster carr so that should be here in the middle of the week and hopefully we should have a test fire or 20 next weekend. gun)

I am getting pretty excited. All of the work and money going into this project I hope it runs right along side the norma and Rum for performance.

Yes I did, all i needed was 1 form die to get the basic shape and if I want full capacity then I will use the hydro form die. If I get some time I will make a pneumatic press for kicking out shells fast.

Here it is.

They are all aligned by the tip of the bullet.

Left to right

338 Edge- 3.800" - This is my normal Edge length,
338 Sin- 3.500" -This is what fits in my Savage Centerfeed DBM
300g SMK
338RUM- 3.680" - This is what fits in my factory Rem 700 LSS
225g NAB

S8001758.jpg

Here it is.

They are all aligned by the tip of the bullet.

Left to right

338 Edge- 3.800" - This is my normal Edge length,
300g SMK
338RUM- 3.680" - This is what fits in my factory Rem 700 LSS
225g NAB

S8001758.jpg

Very cool indeed. Something tells me I'll be ordering a barrel and dies sometime next fall.

One question that I had, I know Savage made rifles in RUM cartridges. Any idea what the mag length on them would have been?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.