338 RUM or Edge?

waspocrew

Gents,
I want to step up in caliber a bit with my next rifle (currently shoot a 6.5 Sherman and 7RM) and recently picked up a Stiller Predator Magnum LA.

I've wanted a big 338 for a while now, but haven't been able to make up my mind on the 338 Edge vs. RUM. I'd like to focus on 285 gr pills and up for elk hunting. Seems like I've heard plenty of arguments for both camps. Now that ADG makes reasonably priced brass for both, case prep doesn't seem as much of an issue for the Edge (not that necking up brass ever was much "prep").

For the Edge shooters, are your rifles repeaters? If so, what mods were necessary to achieve this?

Thanks in advance

I don't have either myself but shoot a 300 rum. I think you hit the nail on the head with the brass. Obviously you reload seeing as how you have a Sherman so I'd do an edge with a Wyatt's box. Between the alpha and Bertram brass now available plus the added velocity I'd say it's the way to go. Just my $.02

I have accurate loads that will mag feed. My 338 Edge is not a hunter.

For my Weatherbys I use the magazine from a 338-378 to get to 3.75+

For everything else there's Wyatts.

Both require some gunsmith work.

Then there is chambering a DTA SRS-A1 for 338 Edge. :)

I don't have either myself but shoot a 300 rum. I think you hit the nail on the head with the brass. Obviously you reload seeing as how you have a Sherman so I'd do an edge with a Wyatt's box. Between the alpha and Bertram brass now available plus the added velocity I'd say it's the way to go. Just my $.02
Oops... meant atlas not alpha...

My Edge uses Seekins box and mags. You'll have to ask Kirby about the mods though. I've shot deer, bou and elk out to 750 with no issues.

Then there is chambering a DTA SRS-A1 for 338 Edge. :)

If anyone has done this we need to talk. I want to try this but I've heard from some sources it won't feed and then SAC said buy the reamer and we will give it a shot.

I have a 338 edge +p and single feed. If I were starting from scratch I would do a Lapua Improved but since you already have and action and it seems want to keep brass prep simple go for the edge with a wyatts box I would have the rifle throated to feed as a repeater. My COAL is 4.080 so it seems that the minimal loss of case capacity in order to function as a repeater would be worth it. I run 94.5 gr. of h-1000 to push a 300 gr Berger just north of 2800 FPS. I have run as high as 97.5 gr of h-1000 and pushed it over 2900 but the accuracy was not as good. I have tested this load out to 1215 yds with consistent sub 1/2 MOA groups. I am probably leaving some velocity on the table using h-1000 vs some of the slower powders such as re-33 and VV N 570 but the h-1000 is temp stable and was easy to get so I stocked up.

My Edge uses Seekins box and mags. You'll have to ask Kirby about the mods though. I've shot deer, bou and elk out to 750 with no issues.
When I was looking at them, out of stock.
If anyone has done this we need to talk. I want to try this but I've heard from some sources it won't feed and then SAC said buy the reamer and we will give it a shot.
I have my own 338 Edge reamer.

I've done some looking, I bought some extra magazines to work on. I think it will work.

It's not impossible to fold up a new magazine layout to fit the SRS-A1. 3D print follower, spring holder and bottom keeper.

I'm gonna do it. How successful? Time will tell.

Oh and I have a 32" Benchmark .338 barrel 9.5 twist. Gotta see if it can be put into a SRS-A1. If not I need to order a barrel.

Jfseaman good to hear on the DT. I have a srs as well, great platform for loooong barrels.

I've got a friend that's building a 32" 9.5 twist lapua AI for his DT as well. Dan of SAC has modified his mags to work for his rifle.

Also, to the OP, I built a 338 rum pushing 285 eld match @ 2825 FPS with reloader 33.

Easy to obtain brass, and I still fed out of a stock Remington BDL.

That would be my choice if you want a no fuss mag fed rifle that doesn't need modifications & more $$$ to perform well .

I have the RUM. Not enough difference between the two, and which one comes down to which one has suppies available.

I understand the desire to use an action already in hand, did it myself, but doing it today I'd jump over both, and go with an improved Lapua, of one brand or another. I'd use the Montana PH model with an existing 4" magazine box.

I have a 338 RUM, 27" barrel and my accurate load with RL33 and the 300 Berger is right at 2750 FPS. A longer barrel and throat dedicated for the 300 Berger would likely get another 100 FPS, I'm eating up a bit of case capacity with the 300 seated so deep down into the case. Even with a Wyatt box I'm still single feeding.

I've considered an edge for my next barrel but I'm also curious to what the real gains would be.

I think it comes down to how much velocity you want to get out of the heavy 338 bullets. I would like to be north of 2900 FPS and I think that's gonna take a Lapua improved with a 28-30" barrel.

The other consideration would be a custom throat for the 250 Berger and that would also allow the bullets to fit in the magazine and you'de be north of 3000 FPS for a flat trajectory.

I would do a 338 RUM and run 250 Bergers if you want a repeater. The edge is a single shot cartridge in my opinion. I have a short throated rum reamer that 250s can touch the lands and still mag feed. I also have a 33 Nosler reamer but have not built one yet, it would be even nicer in a repeater. I think more guys need to try single shots for their long range rifles. You will love them.

.. I think more guys need to try single shots for their long range rifles. You will love them.

I agree with this. The performance gains you get from a longer cartridge I think are worth it. For a dedicated long range setup single feeding is a non-issue. Also don't have to deal with damaging the tip of the bullet in the mag box.

When I'm hunting through the timber I have some 300 grain accubonds loaded to fit in the magazine box. They don't shoot 1/4 moa but are plenty accurate out to 200 yards and shoot to the same point of impact as the 300 Berger.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.