338 Edge, RUM or WIN Mag

i love the 338 caliber but if 700 yards is the max, i'd consider a 300 win mag. bullet selection can't be beat in 308 caliber, great brass is available. a 338WM would hit a little harder...on both ends!

I concur with Dave. I shoot a Savage F/Tr rifle with 178, 180, & 208 grain bullets with astounding accuracy.

Even with a muzzle brake on the 338 RUM, I would not want to punish myself with the RUM, unless I was going to go past 1000-1200 yards. THEN, a 300 gr SMK in the 338 RUM would be the ticket.

Don't forget the cost factor as well. Good 338 bullets are near 50 cents a piece. Couple that with 20% more powder per round and initial cost of brass is a little higher as well.

.338 Edge,Rum or win. Mag

Rick,
I shoot the .338 Rum and the .338 Win. Mag. for hunting and the advantage that the bigger cased caliber has is that you can shoot the 250,275 and 300 grn. bullets and take advantage of their down range ballistics then the the Win. Mag. Being that said though you have to ask yourself if the trade off for power is worth the extra recoil ,powder usage and ammo availability if you are out somewhere if you happen to run out of ammo ! I guess what it comes down to is how much $$ you are willing to spend to get what you want but you can't go wrong with the .338 caliber in which ever one you choose.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.