.338 PGW Timberwolf

Agreed in a Mc. Slow A5 it looks very, very good. The only question is a pure A5 or A5/A3 hybrid.

David.

Well

it all depends on wether it will be available in the UK, if not, then other things may have to be considered.

However, if it is to be available, I would have it in an A5, or Manners T4A.

As an aside, I ordered a Manners T4A last night for another project, was quoted 12 weeks to delivery. Roll on January!

Ronin/Andy,

One of the difficulties with rifles such as these is getting "value" from it which involves how often you can shoot it and where and what type of ammunition you can use. For a versatile set up why not consider a BAT single shot .338 action with an A5 or better is a Robertson's GBF class stock which you can tap on the fore end base for either an Anschultz rail to use a Harris with Pod Lock as shown by BD and pod paws or get fitted for an Accuracy forend pin and bi-pod set up.

Used with a bench rest and Jewel trigger and a 30-338 barrel for the .240g SMK's this could be used on any gallery range if the mussle energy limit amendments being presently considered are successful and revert to an energy level which previously was allowed. This enables you to compete in F Open class comps and this rifle combo was used to win the F Class National League.

Using the same set up with a .338 barrel and bi-pod/moderator enables you to shoot ultra long range at Sennybridge or Warcop etc....

Get the stock paint job to suit a military/cammo taste and a sand blasted action and barrel finish and you have an excellent dual purpose rifle.

You can probably do the above plus buy an action wrench and barrel clamp for the same money you will pay for a Timberwolf once importers have converted dollars to pounds which seems to be the "usual" way they approach matters....

I would wait until January of next year to find out what is happening before doing anything but I mention the above as I was considering the same type of project as yourself......

The 30-338 option enables you to shoot much more often if still allowed on ranges like Stickledown - Blair Atholl - ( the later may not be affected ) and F Open Class is a great way to develop L/R ability with most League shoots going out to 1000 yards and some 1200 yards.

There is also nothing to stop you buying an extra bolt and having either a Magnum or .308 bolt face for other calibre options....

Just a thought anyway.....I appreciate some people only want to do a given type of shooting and maybe the military/bi-pod rifle then works out fine....how often can you shoot these though?

BD

The Hensolt scope with 72mm objective is excellent but the increments are 1cm at 100m which are a bit coarse...( designed for speed when shooting in a military role - as opposed to targets/hunting ). I had one and changed mine for the same scope by Zeiss with .5cm clicks at 100m - about 1/6MOA - and this version still has sufficient come up ability to go past 2000 yards with the right incline rail. A tip if this is preferable is to order an extra vertical scope cap as the windage cap on the Zeiss model lacks numbers and using a vertical cap which has them keeps you much more informed as to the windage on the scope. The vertical range on the Zeiss Diavari 6-24 x 72 is 62 MOA which with 1/6 MOA clicks makes for a great scope. It can be used on 10X to give an optimum 7mm exit pupil ratio and for night vision is superb......

I have kept this scope and just sold my S&B PMII Gen2 second F/P 5-25 X 56 for this reason.

HTH

PETERW.

pretty good thread here
http:// w w w.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182681&highlight=timberwolf

I hope I am not breaking the rules by posting the link. A couple of owners are talking about it on here.

Cheers,
Craig

Peter

thanks for the wise insight in your reply, would you believe I am in the process of applying for variation for that exact wildcat - 30-338LM so I can (if necessary) swap barrels from a "standard" 338LM to a 30 cal variant.

We must speak to the same gunsmith perhaps as I know one speccing that very reamer print??

Anyway, Timberwolfs.

At present, ive had no word on the status from the proposed UK importer - he is a friend and i'm sure if there were progress, I would have heard.

Theres no rush as I have enough on my plate anyway....

There could be further philosophy behind your answer as I have indeed been thinking of alternatives to the PGW.

Such as a Surgeon XL / manners T4a (or Mac A5) and two barrels one a
1-9.5" twist for "normal" bullets and one a 1-7" twist for the LM105 or GS Custom SP lathe turned missiles!

I would prefer a repeater action over a single shot, otherwise a BAT would be considered. (unless they do a Magnum repeater action?)

The other alternative i'd thought about was an RPA Quadlock repeater, but i'm not sure if bottom metal is available for this action yet.

Why a repeater, well the rifle is intended for tactical comps where the ranges could be anywhere to 1000 yards with multiple shots per course of fire.

R

Ronin,

My gunsmith is Pete Walker but there are a number of good guys "up North". Callum I think is the standard others acknowledge as being an Industry "best" but Dennis Groom at Border Barrels would be a good choice for a 30-338 - his reamer is a proven match winner .......and Derek Newlands is also doing some good work....they are all however getting really busy so there is no quick solution.

After giving matters some thought I have decided on the Mac A5 for this project with a BAT multi flat Model M action for which I have interchangeable bolts. If I want to ( am able to allowing for the mussle energy limit ) I can drop this action into a number of benchrest stocks for F Open comps which are already bedded for this. I have a number of BAT M multi flat actions so this makes for a versatile choice with existing equipment.

So long as you are careful with the bedding job changing over is no different to having to remove the action to clean the rifle after a bad day in the rain.......which happens more and more with our weather.

If a magazine action is needed I would go for the A5 or a Manners as per your choice.

My only reason for not going the mag route is that when the bullets are as big as this I think they are more prone to feed problems - it is a bummer to be winning a comp and then have a jam which puts you out of the running on timed events or timed exposures. I had this a few times in the McQueens comps and decided to single feed from then on! Smaller cases seem to work well in mags but once past .308 size I would only consider a Mauser style action for reliable mag feed - and no one strangely has picked up on this for the large tactical rifles - or at least not to my knowledge.....

Good luck and let us know which way you go...

Peter.

Last edited:
Peter

I hear and understand what you say about single feeding. But I would like a repeater, the rifle would really be a tactical rather than f class / BR rig. I have other calibres on ticket better suited to proper target designation.

Derek is currently working on a couple of my rifles, I got in at the right time I think - and if what I have seen so far is the standard to follow, he will get VERY busy VERY quickly.

I envy the position youre in to have a choice of BAT's!!!

Ronin,

Derek is doing some work for me as well and as you say he is now very very busy. It seems like only yesterday when he first started and now his order book is pretty full....just goes to show the demand here for good custom work...

If I was to go for a mag feed rifle I like the idea of having the Timberwolf action which can also take the .408 CT. This means the magazines will be plenty long enough to load a .338 or .30-338 out to the lands. What are the triggers on these actions like?

My only tactical rifle with a mag feed option is a Unique Alpine and the replacement trigger I got is very good for tactical comps - crisp 1.1lb let off. My Jewel triggers are much lighter - about .5lb - and set a bit too light for tactical comps although you can always change this - which is what I love about these triggers as they are great at any of the three supplied springs weight categories.

I have tried some Police triggers and Army triggers in AI's and the 4lb "safety" pull is hard to get used to when shooting rifles which have triggers much lighter and crisper....

If the Timberwolf trigger is one of the "heavy makes it safe" type I would much prefer a Surgeon set up which can take a Jewel trigger. Unless ofcourse the Timberwolf has a Remmy hook up which can take a Jewel? ( Editing to add - "Checked web site and this rifle can take a jewel trigger" - great option ).

If you can get one it should be a cracking investment because of the scarcity:)......but with all the military contracts you might well have a long wait:rolleyes:.

Peter.

Last edited:
Ronin:

I have just purchased one. I have fired it (29rds) but not enough to evaluate it other than the recoil is like an SLR.

The scope is an S&B 3-12x50 PMII LR.

What your see is a C14 as issued to the Canadian Army, except I don't have the suppressor, which would be in the hole at the top left.

HPIM1272.jpg

BHP9,

Could you give the max overall round length for the magazine ?

Are there oppertunities to buy these readily available in Canada ?

If so, where?

Thxs

Peter.

Last edited:
BHP9,

Could you give the max overall round length for the magazine ?

Are there oppertunities to buy these readily available in Canada ?

If so, where?

Thxs

Peter.

The mag measures 3.702"

My OAL for the 250 Scenar and Lockbase = 3.620". They have a short throat.

My OAL for the 225 Nosler AccuBond = 3.680". Pointier ogive.

Go here PGW DEFENCE TECHNOLOGIES INC. and e-mail Steve or Ross.

Bullets I get from Hirsch Precision.

Hirsch Precision - Shooting Components

The trigger is factory set at 3-3 1/2lbs and can go down to 2lbs.

CDN Bulldog:

That CGN link is about a Coyote, which is in .308Win.

They are out of Winnipeg.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.