.338 PGW Timberwolf

Peter

I considered a an AW 338 but the ergonomics of the stock and trigger put me off - I have a AW 308 that suffers similar "problems" although the trigger is now sorted to 2 1/2lbs the stock is another issue - ive posted a discussion on swapping over to an alternative stock on SH forum. But that is a long term plan at the moment i'll live with the AW as it is.

The Surgeon would be my #1 choice of alternative if the PGW is unavailable here. I have thought about bringing one in myself, but it may be in the too hard to do pile - however, if two of us were interested......?

My thoughts were the same on the trigger and as youv'e researched they do take Jewel and if thats the case they would also take the new CG trigger Peter Jackson is selling, which is a lovely unit to use (two stage)

Mag lengths - 3.702 should accomodate anything up to and including 300 SMK, but case capacity may (will) suffer if the rifle is short throated - there has to be compromise somewhere I guess.

My own idea of using LM105's and a fast twist barrel would involve single feed anyway.

Too soon to the festive season for major purchases now, but come New Year, i'll investigate further - either import PGW or build on Surgeon - either way would involve two barrels of varied twist (so it wont be cheap)

BHP9

saw the pic on the "Hide" - I take its a superflouous question to ask if it shoots well?

Thanks for the link, but this shows that the site is being constructed.

If you use these, they will show photographs and more importantly pricing:

Pricing

Photo Gallery

Last edited:
BHP9

Thanks for the information. I will do a bit of research using this to compare seating depth on the various options I am thinking about.

My idea is to try to combine two barrels - one .338 the other 30-338 with a given action. If a repeater action were used I need to check that the mag length is long enough to accommodate the long VLD's in 30 cal. To gain weight in the lower calibre the 240 SMK's are quite a long bullet which I want to check if they would be seated where I want them and still feed in the mag. The .338 bullets should be less of an issue - although I have found in the past with different rifles that with a Saami chambering - usually the ideal seating depth for the best accuracy for the round ( normally into the lands by varying degrees ) means that your best OAL for accuracy is slightly too long for the mag.

This can be overcome with a custom reamer and custom barrel - ensuring that the throat is correct for the mag length - hence the information you have given will be very helpful.

Ronin,

I agree with you on the AW stocks. For me the thumb hole/vertical space is tight and nips the web of my hand.

Where as the A5 is better.....

If this had the AW's folding stock option it would be an awful lot better....

However I am still uncertain that I can do all I want to AND use a mag feed system.....

Like you I think I will give it more thought.

Let me know if you decide you want to bring in a Surgeon action as I have a number of options with guys who have done so....Peter Walker can help or Rob Hunter...Derek could probably do so as well either by himself or through Callum perhaps.

All the best

Peter.

Hey Ronnin.

I have a Timberwolf. PGWDTI in 338 LM.

The gun is simple and crisp in all aspects. The work is tight, almost too tight. The muzzle brake is aprox. 80% effective. My son has been shooting it for 2 years. He is an average sized child for 7-8 years of age. He loves the gun and will shoot it all day if I let him. I have the folding stock version with the fully integrated aluminum bedding fore stock.

A trigger upgrade was not required. The gun shoots min. of angle with anything I feed it.
it loves the Scenar 250 grain at 2924 fps. My son and I shoot 1000 yards regularly and he prefers the plastic 2 liter soda bottles. (Cream Soda looks cool in the snow)
We shot a huge Mulie at 1143 yards this past November. One shot.
I have the gun dialed out to 1300 yds. The new Scenars are out Finally and I will be working the 300 grain beauties out to 1850 I believe.

[email protected]
gun)

Hey Ronnin.

I have a Timberwolf. PGWDTI in 338 LM.

The gun is simple and crisp in all aspects. The work is tight, almost too tight. The muzzle brake is aprox. 80% effective. My son has been shooting it for 2 years. He is an average sized child for 7-8 years of age. He loves the gun and will shoot it all day if I let him. I have the folding stock version with the fully integrated aluminum bedding fore stock.

A trigger upgrade was not required. The gun shoots min. of angle with anything I feed it.
it loves the Scenar 250 grain at 2924 fps. My son and I shoot 1000 yards regularly and he prefers the plastic 2 liter soda bottles. (Cream Soda looks cool in the snow)
We shot a huge Mulie at 1143 yards this past November. One shot.
I have the gun dialed out to 1300 yds. The new Scenars are out Finally and I will be working the 300 grain beauties out to 1850 I believe.

[email protected]
gun)

Try the Sierra 300's, they are very good and doing well from mine, plus they are cheaper than the Scenars.

Alas, I didn't get out to 1500m last year.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.