338 Edge Chambering

alcesgigas

I just put this in Gunsmithing, but maybe it's more appropriate here--that may explain why no responses to a similar question in Gunsmithing last week...

I'm building an Edge on a M70 action. It's soon to be barreled and chambered so now's the time to address this conundrum: Some of the hand loads, admittedly from individuals as applied towards their specific rifles, show COALs up to 4.00. These shooters are no -doubt purposely loading to these over-COALs to set their (ULD, VLD) bullet ogives a tested length that shoots best in their rifle (s). Kevin Wyatt of Wyatt's states that 3.85 is max length for the M70 using his MBE-8 magazine box. Is it possible to begin the rifling at a shorter length than normal (unknown what SAAMI chamber specs are for the Edge) so as to work from this--3.80--COAL? I'm thinking that there's enough powder capacity to begin testing at the usual lesser-than--maximum and work up to similar velocities with the same bullets as say a "normal" COAL?

If I was you I would contact Shawn Carlock at defensive edge with your theory since he has the most experience with that round on this site.

The 338 Edge is a Wildcat, there are no SAAMI specifications for it. You need to talk to your gunsmith and find out what the lead is for the reamer he is using. He should be able to tell you the OAL for a loaded round, if not might be a good time to find a new gunsmith.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.