.338 Edge Chambering

ajg308

Some of my fellow shooters and I are looking at building some .338 Edges on a savage platform. About the only question we have left is how exactly to chamber it. We think all we need to do is use a .338 RUM reamer, but cut it .2 inches deeper. Anyones help would be great.

Also, if you had a choice would you go with a pacnor or a sharpshootersupply barrel?

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure you use a 338 rum reamer and headspace off of the 300 rum gages. if you cut it .2 deeper you could blow up the gun with out useing the gages. there is only .004" between a safe gun and an unsafe gun. huntinfool18

i agree,you can use the 338rum reamer but it's only something like .092 shorter. headspace with a 300 rum reamer is the ticket.maybe Shawn will jump in here, i know he's done a few this way.

[ QUOTE ]
Some of my fellow shooters and I are looking at building some .338 Edges on a savage platform. About the only question we have left is how exactly to chamber it. We think all we need to do is use a .338 RUM reamer, but cut it .2 inches deeper. Anyones help would be great.

Also, if you had a choice would you go with a pacnor or a sharpshootersupply barrel?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello,

You have basically the same case taper for the shoulder to the case base for each cartridge. The difference is that one is .090" plus or minus longer. If you try to use the 338RUM reamer, the chamber at the base of the case would be too wide. It is very similar to some of the 6mmbr wildcats that require specific reamers rather than just runing the parent case reamer in deeper.

What you can do is to chamber the 300RUM and then neck and throat it for a .338.

James

Get the Pac/nor prefit barrel that is what several of the guys that shoot with me did several years ago_Our chambering is the .338/300 ultra. Pac/Nor offered this chambering several years before they became popular and were given a name "EDGE" or you could consult Shawn Carlock
who has made several in this chambering...

You can build an Edge by using a 338 RUM reamer and a 300 RUM headspace guage. .200 is way to much, use a guage. The taper is so close that the extra depth doesn't ammount to even .001", it is closer than most factory chambered 338 RUM's anyway. The only other way is of course to have a reamer built. Alot of smith's have a set for 300 and 338 RUM making this easy for them to do. There are no big tricks with the Edge only being picky and doing everything correctly. By the way the only reason I named it the Edge instead of a 338-300 was to avoid confusion about what could be chambered in the rifle, trying to fire a 338 RUM in a Edge chamber would be a really bad news.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.