338 edge

Ucsdryder

Ok, I need some help here. I'm at the infancy stages of THINKING about building a 338 long range elk rifle. I'm trying to wrap my head around 338 edge and 338 edge + P.

1. They both run off a standard magnum bolt face, correct? No need to run with a lapua size bolt face.

2. Adg has 338 edge brass, which is a 300RUM necked to a 338? Still correct? What's the 338 edge + P case? This is where it gets muddy. Is that a 338 edge case that's fire formed, or a completely different case?

3. Can I run both a edge and edge plus P in a normal mag box, looks like a 4" box is about the longest? Lots of guys building single feed rifles, for elk hunting id like a mag fed rifle, am I limiting myself with coal if I go mag fed?

4. Anybody want to offer up his opinion on a $2000 build in a 338 edge? Curious about components.

5. Is the edge + p a little too wild cat for the "normal guy"? Finding dies, a gunsmith to throat a barrel, etc seems to be a lot more difficult, but the thought of another 150fps is hard to ignore!

Im not good at search function hereabout tons of info here.Defensive Edge gunsmithing wrote the BOOK on edge, was here long time and now is Long range only site.His rifles are up for sale time to time Plus P , is his idea.Lots good 338's used here and on other site, best way to get into a great shooter.The plus P is a modified throat,his design.He has long range camps too

Ok, I need some help here. I'm at the infancy stages of THINKING about building a 338 long range elk rifle. I'm trying to wrap my head around 338 edge and 338 edge + P.

1. They both run off a standard magnum bolt face, correct? No need to run with a lapua size bolt face.

2. Adg has 338 edge brass, which is a 300RUM necked to a 338? Still correct? What's the 338 edge + P case? This is where it gets muddy. Is that a 338 edge case that's fire formed, or a completely different case?

3. Can I run both a edge and edge plus P in a normal mag box, looks like a 4" box is about the longest? Lots of guys building single feed rifles, for elk hunting id like a mag fed rifle, am I limiting myself with coal if I go mag fed?

4. Anybody want to offer up his opinion on a $2000 build in a 338 edge? Curious about components.

5. Is the edge + p a little too wild cat for the "normal guy"? Finding dies, a gunsmith to throat a barrel, etc seems to be a lot more difficult, but the thought of another 150fps is hard to ignore!
1. Yes regular mag bolt face
2. + p is the throat design not a different case as best as I understand it.
3. If you run the 4.0 mag box you will be golden. I'm in the lands at 3.99 on mine.
4. 700 action would be fine. I'd rather run a terminus or other that cuts for the 4.0 mag box. If I did mine over I'd run 28 inch barrel and +p throat. Stock will be preference, I'm on a chassis kick and my budget 338 build sports a roxy that will be swapped for xlr.
5. Shawn carlock would be you smith. 300 grain bullets at 3k is something special with the +p. I've had mine in a 31 inch barrel up to 2900 and it's awesome shooting steel elk targets at 1250. Bullet trace is easy to pick up recoil with a break is really mellow I will be adding a thunder beast 338 can as soon as funds allow. As far as dies all that will come from Shawn at defensive edge.

Aren't the 338 Edge and 338 Edge +P, the same case?
Isn't the +P, a machining that Defensive Edge does by removing 1/2 of the rifling lands in the very beginning of the barrel/chamber area?
DE is a good guy to deal with.
My 2 standard 338 Edge's shoot great.
But yes, 150 fps extra velocity with the +P, is hard to argue with…

Edit…bsnyder beat me to it…

Isn't the +P, a machining that Defensive Edge does by removing 1/2 of the rifling lands in the very beginning of the barrel/chamber area?
DE is a good guy to deal with.
My 2 standard 338 Edge's shoot great.
But yes, 150 fps extra velocity with the +P, is hard to argue with…

Edit…bsnyder beat me to it…
So the cartridges are identical, no such thing as a +p die. It's a tweak in the throating that doesn't change the case when fired?

Correct as I understand it. It's a throat design. Below is a link the the + p.

300 grain match kings and h1000 are the jam. Could not get the 300 Berger's to shoot worth a darn. 246 hammers are fun too at 3100.

Well I guess I can give you my two cents on the 338 Edge !!
Here we go .
I have had 11 338's to date and just picked up #12 !!
If your starting fresh i would jump on the 338 Rum . Cheaper dies , brass is all over the place .

I proved a point with two identical 338 builds . Both with Remington actions , 30" carbon barrels Same triggers different stocks that's it .
They ended up as so :
☆ 338 Rum ,300 gr Elite hunters, h-1000 @ 2883 ft.per.sec
☆ 338 Edge , 300 gr bergers Elite hunters , h-1000 @ 2884 ft.per.sec

The Elk I took at 1244 yards seemed to hate the 300 gr bergers from the Edge !

At the time of these two builds I only had H-1000 to try out . The word is Rl-33 would give me more ft.per.sec but havent tryed it yet .

I got some great advice from Shawn one early Sunday morning on a Heavy 338 Edge I put together. He helped me get three shots in the same hole at 100 yards and a 3 shot 26 3/4" group at 3027 yards! My personal best to date!

To say I have some time behind a 338 is a Understatement!
I had a goal of 2 miles after my Heart Surgery...I'm satisfied with 1.72 miles for now ! Ha ha next try watch out 2 mile !

The +p you talk about will cost you around $200.00 and it will get you more velocity for sure . I will try it I'm sure .
Just been to busy with life lately.

Ps . I have a 4" box set up ready to be installed in one of them ...just spent so much time getting my loads just right I didnt feel the need for the extra rounds in the box ! I have one ready to drop in close to me ..just in case !

I guess I should of asked if this is a hunter rifle or a ELR set up !

If I remember correctly this one is set up for about 4000 yards ! +or - a few yards !
If I can help in anyway give me a Shout !.

Rum Man

Attachments

• 20210921_063109.jpg
    20210921_063109.jpg
    976.1 KB · Views: 86
Well I guess I can give you my two cents on the 338 Edge !!
Here we go .
I have had 11 338's to date and just picked up #12 !!
If your starting fresh i would jump on the 338 Rum . Cheaper dies , brass is all over the place .

I proved a point with two identical 338 builds . Both with Remington actions , 30" carbon barrels Same triggers different stocks that's it .
They ended up as so :
☆ 338 Rum ,300 gr Elite hunters, h-1000 @ 2883 ft.per.sec
☆ 338 Edge , 300 gr bergers Elite hunters , h-1000 @ 2884 ft.per.sec

The Elk I took at 1244 yards seemed to hate the 300 gr bergers from the Edge !

At the time of these two builds I only had H-1000 to try out . The word is Rl-33 would give me more ft.per.sec but havent tryed it yet .

I got some great advice from Shawn one early Sunday morning on a Heavy 338 Edge I put together. He helped me get three shots in the same hole at 100 yards and a 3 shot 26 3/4" group at 3027 yards! My personal best to date!

To say I have some time behind a 338 is a Understatement!
I had a goal of 2 miles after my Heart Surgery...I'm satisfied with 1.72 miles for now ! Ha ha next try watch out 2 mile !

The +p you talk about will cost you around $200.00 and it will get you more velocity for sure . I will try it I'm sure .
Just been to busy with life lately.

Ps . I have a 4" box set up ready to be installed in one of them ...just spent so much time getting my loads just right I didnt feel the need for the extra rounds in the box ! I have one ready to drop in close to me ..just in case !

I guess I should of asked if this is a hunter rifle or a ELR set up !

If I remember correctly this one is set up for about 4000 yards ! +or - a few yards !
If I can help in anyway give me a Shout !.

Rum Man
thank you! This would be a hunting rifle for Colorado elk and some steel put to 1200 yards. I don't need it, I want it. 😉

Is defensive edge the only one doing the plus p throat or is that something most capable gunsmiths are able to do?

With the advantages of the rum over the edge being availability of components and cost, what are the advantages of the edge over the rum? Ballistically you've shown they're very similar, was that with similar powder charges?

Almost identical twins really .
The 338 Edge was a givin to me to build having a pile of 300 Rum brass at my finger tips ..
If your starting fresh it's really just a choice .
It's super cool to tell everybody you have a 338 Edge ! It just sounds tough ! Ha ha

Ok if this is a Hunter first and some long range shooting .
Here would be my thoughts .
If your on a budget ;
Remington action.
27" 1/9 twist carbon .
The Ti-pro titanium self timer brake
McMillan Game hunter Edge fill or a Mesa Precision altitude stock , I'm testing a few of them now .
Lots of good triggers out there but any of the trigger tech's are great . You could do the wyatt 4" box . Set your goal at 9.5 pounds all in . Or lighter . You will thank me after a long up hill Elk hunt ! Ha ha

Here is a 24" 338 Rum I put together last fall for a Elk hunt with my Oldest Daughter.
Its 9.5 pounds with a heavy Burris XTR ii 5x 25 scope . It loves the 250 gr bergers @ 2997 ft.per.sec. very close results as the 300 gr berger at 1200 yards . The Elk would never know the difference! Ha ha .

The case of the Edge is bigger . So in theory you should get more out of it .
I'm not a pro at the case #'s so I'm sure some guys on here could give you better info .
I'm just the type to dive in and try things out ! Not a true technical guy ! Lol
My Smith always told me ..nothing wrong with the Remington action's Rum Man !

I am testing a Defiance tenacity out here shortly ...holy Smokes it's very Nice and Smooth!
One of the Anti -x Defiance action might be on my list for the next 338 build ! 😎

Rum Man

Attachments

• 20211123_210701.jpg
    20211123_210701.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 82
+P throat is proprietary to Defensive Edge,
The 338 EDGE should get you a bit more case capacity but it's not going to be a gigantic gain.

Recent Posts