338 Edge?

Minotti

I'm new here so please bare with me. I have a Savage 111 in 300win mag that I am looking to convert to 338 edge and I have some questions. the first big question is, can I even do this with the action I currently have, and do any modifications need to be made?

Second question is about a barrel. I have been looking at buying a mcgowens custom barrel in 338 edge match. Are there any other companies I can order a chambered barrel from and still stay under $1000? What is the difference between the 338 edge and the 338 edge match chambering and is one better then the other? Also what is recommended for barrel length and twist?

This will be my first custom bolt action rifle. I plan to use it for some hunting of big game but it will mostly be used for long range target shooting. I would appreciate any other advice or information you guys have to offer.

You can do the conversion as they both use the same BF. Modifications: longer mag coal and ejection port.
Match Chambers are for people that neck turn brass---- I wouldn't do it.
Many companies can pre chamber/build you a barrel for less than 1K. You may want to get a barrel blank and have a smith do the chamber. A longer throat for big bullets helps you maximize the cartridge's potential. I'd lean towards 26" for a hunting gun---- cause you'll be adding a brake which makes it longer. I'd take a twist between 9-10, prefer something closer to 9.
My edge has a HCA CF barrel and shoots very well with 300 Bergers and accubonds. H1000 is my powder if choice

For long range target in that caliber, try get that barrel with as heavy a profile as possible, and a chassis in the 5+ pound weight range. Invest in a good muzzle brake. You want something that doesn't shove dust through your eyeballs from prone, and properly reduces recoil. A good size bipod - like UTG Big Bore, to add a bit more weight, and great stability.

Configure the rifle for what you plan to do most with it, make it pleasant to shoot. Long range needs a lot of practice, and the blast from the .338 Edge is huge compared to a Win Mag.

If you take your 111 as is for long range targets and rebarrel only, you will be the guy that sells his rifle with a box of 19 factory rounds.

I'm new here so please bare with me. I have a Savage 111 in 300win mag that I am looking to convert to 338 edge and I have some questions. the first big question is, can I even do this with the action I currently have, and do any modifications need to be made?

Second question is about a barrel. I have been looking at buying a mcgowens custom barrel in 338 edge match. Are there any other companies I can order a chambered barrel from and still stay under $1000? What is the difference between the 338 edge and the 338 edge match chambering and is one better then the other? Also what is recommended for barrel length and twist?

This will be my first custom bolt action rifle. I plan to use it for some hunting of big game but it will mostly be used for long range target shooting. I would appreciate any other advice or information you guys have to offer.
Give me a shout I maybe able to save you a lot of pain.

Attachments

• 3BE7FAD2-0CCD-477A-A6E2-63835625EB6F.jpeg
    3BE7FAD2-0CCD-477A-A6E2-63835625EB6F.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 293
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.