338 edge

My son has a edge and I have been very impressed with it. He is single feeding and running 275 grain CEB Lazers out of a proof barrel 28" at 3009. SD's are single digits. Gun weighs in at 12.4 pounds with a atlas bipod and scoped. The longest shot that I witnessed him make was 1863 yds. I was impressed. Recoil is very mild. What I like about the edge is brass availability. If we get into a pinch just look for 300 Rum brass otherwise shoot ADG. He has a Manners stock on it. I like it so much that I am thinking that I am going to build one off of a terminus action with a carbon barrel. Just my 2 cents. The overall length for his bullet with CEB is 4.138".

Shawn designed his +p throat design simply as a means to flatten the pressure curve which allows for use of faster burning powder as well as larger powder charges which in turn boost performance, at times significantly. However, it seems it comes at the cost of barrel life and accuracy loss too quickly. Maybe the Bartlein 400 MOD harder SS would be worth a try. The 338 Allen Mag is a pretty stout case as well.

The 338 edge and the 338 edge +p are the same cartridge. The +p just allows you to seat the bullet out further. I am running a 338 RUM +p and love it. It will do everything the edge and Lapua will do. If you are going to run a standard mag or even a Wyatt's box. 3.85" is going to be your max coal, which may negate the need for the +p. Also, I don't know that you will see 150 fps advantage over the standard throat. My rifle does not like factory ammo or hand loads loaded at standard coal. I have one load that shoots extremely well and fits in my Wyatt's box. It is my hunting load. They are loaded down and will just fit in the box. .50 off the lands. They are super accurate but offer no advantage over the standard loading. I single feed everything else and those loads do offer extra velocity over the standard loads.
Here are some examples of what we are shooting.

1) 265 ABLR, 81 grains IMR 4350 @ 2850, 3.85 coal. Average 5 shot group .25 or better. This is my hunting load. Fits in the box.
2) 285 eldx, 85 grains R23 @ 2850, 3.91 coal. Average 5 shot group .65. Does not fit in the box.
3) 300 OTM Berger, 91 grains H1000 @ 2775, 4.00 coal. Average 5 shot group .5. Does not fit in the box.
4) 256 Flatliners (Warner Tool), (still working up loads) should be able to get 3000+ out of them. 4.10 coal. First few test groups are sub moa. Does not fit in the box.

Hope this helps you make your decision. Both are super easy to load for. If I were building a hunting rig as its primary use, I would go with either the standard edge or a RUM +p. If it is a dedicated long range gun go edge +p but it will be single feed.

Here are some pics of the rifle and a few five shot groups with the ABLRs and The Bergers. The two rifles are both customs one on a savage action. It is a 6.5x284 Norma. The other is the RUM +p on a Rem 700. If you are trying to stay under $2000 the savage is the way to go and maybe your only option. The first pic of cartridges shows from left to right the flatliner next to the ABLRs next to a 30-378 wby next to a 300 win mag for comparison. The 30-378 takes a Lapua bolt face. The last pick is the flatliners next to a Creedmoor. The one hole group measured .029 with the ABLRs. It was 28 degrees that day.
E06E38B9-FF17-44AA-A9E0-5C2B6E5161EF.jpeg
97F00F6C-7D2F-4D3D-BBE0-25CE9CCA77FF.jpeg
07758D60-5A4C-4749-832C-0B73C815542C.jpeg
28019F58-A37C-4D88-BD41-B95CE2BDE1AB.jpeg
2CF6480E-612E-46D7-805F-386FAA634911.jpeg
8A749520-69F3-45FF-8946-75B6E9034CCF.jpeg
CE35855B-C657-43B1-BD59-99093C544BD4.jpeg
CBDB4748-10CF-4038-80ED-303A5707BE24.jpeg

Last edited:
Shawn designed his +p throat design simply as a means to flatten the pressure curve which allows for use of faster burning powder as well as larger powder charges which in turn boost performance, at times significantly. However, it seems it comes at the cost of barrel life and accuracy loss too quickly. Maybe the Bartlein 400 MOD harder SS would be worth a try. The 338 Allen Mag is a pretty stout case as well.
I have a 338 Allen mag that should be done here soon. I can't wait 😉

Almost identical twins really .
The 338 Edge was a givin to me to build having a pile of 300 Rum brass at my finger tips ..
If your starting fresh it's really just a choice .
It's super cool to tell everybody you have a 338 Edge ! It just sounds tough ! Ha ha

Ok if this is a Hunter first and some long range shooting .
Here would be my thoughts .
If your on a budget ;
Remington action.
27" 1/9 twist carbon .
The Ti-pro titanium self timer brake
McMillan Game hunter Edge fill or a Mesa Precision altitude stock , I'm testing a few of them now .
Lots of good triggers out there but any of the trigger tech's are great . You could do the wyatt 4" box . Set your goal at 9.5 pounds all in . Or lighter . You will thank me after a long up hill Elk hunt ! Ha ha

Here is a 24" 338 Rum I put together last fall for a Elk hunt with my Oldest Daughter.
Its 9.5 pounds with a heavy Burris XTR ii 5x 25 scope . It loves the 250 gr bergers @ 2997 ft.per.sec. very close results as the 300 gr berger at 1200 yards . The Elk would never know the difference! Ha ha .

The case of the Edge is bigger . So in theory you should get more out of it .
I'm not a pro at the case #'s so I'm sure some guys on here could give you better info .
I'm just the type to dive in and try things out ! Not a true technical guy ! Lol
My Smith always told me ..nothing wrong with the Remington action's Rum Man !

I am testing a Defiance tenacity out here shortly ...holy Smokes it's very Nice and Smooth!
One of the Anti -x Defiance action might be on my list for the next 338 build ! 😎

Rum Man
Great info. Thanks again!

For elk hunting I'm thinking about a chassis with a folder to keep that 28" barrel a little more manageable.

Anybody have a reason to shy away from a folder for this type of setup?

Great info. Thanks again!

For elk hunting I'm thinking about a chassis with a folder to keep that 28" barrel a little more manageable.

Anybody have a reason to shy away from a folder for this type of setup?
I built a 33XC on a 24" carbon six BAT MACHINE vesper and XLR magnesium chassis ti pro brake
of course its a single shot but the point is yes it can be done!! the only problem with chassis of any kind like the XLR is the mag restrictions (3.850) outside length makes for a useless idea really for anyone wanting to run a bigger cartridge.

If you are building from scratch/custom parts, I would do the 338 Lapua improved on a BAT HR light wight action. same weight as any custom 700 foot print action out there and in my opinion the best for the larger cartridges
the shorter fatter improved case in a 26" barrel will exceed a 30" edge or 338 rum in a 30" barrel

I built a 33XC on a 24" carbon six BAT MACHINE vesper and XLR magnesium chassis ti pro brake
of course its a single shot but the point is yes it can be done!! the only problem with chassis of any kind like the XLR is the mag restrictions (3.850) outside length makes for a useless idea really for anyone wanting to run a bigger cartridge.

If you are building from scratch/custom parts, I would do the 338 Lapua improved on a BAT HR light wight action. same weight as any custom 700 foot print action out there and in my opinion the best for the larger cartridges
the shorter fatter improved case in a 26" barrel will exceed a 30" edge or 338 rum in a 30" barrel
Sounds like a Keeper !
Thanks for all your Knowledge!

"LPR Rifles Rock"

Rum Man

If you want a dream gun do one of DE's LRKM,bullpups in a 338 edge +P,Id go 338 LAI+P.But I still have 2 338 NM I need to wear out,I send a 300 OTM out of my light 7-2 oz at 2725. AS they say on Forged in Fire IT KILLZZ

Having been down this road I'll add my experience. Take note it's my experience. Just 1 guy.
I started my long range hunting with a 300 rum. Remington elk rifle that I add parts and had premiere reticle add dots to my scope for yardage holds. That lasted a few years
Then wanting to improve I bought a 338 edge. Remington based action. 30 inch Rock Creek barrel. I added a Nightforce scope and proceeded to improve my skills and knowledge base. I took a fair number of animals with it. It still holds my personal best long shot on a deer at 1300+ yards.
I used it for about 5 years. Including trips to wyoming. Most of my hunts were horseback orientated then. But a few required hiking. Then I grew to hate packing that damned heavy and brush grabbing thing. That started me on a quest for the perfect hunting rifle
15 years later and countless thousands of dollars spent on builds ive come back to the 338 bore. But in the 338 RBH (338 Norma Mag improved). Pushing a 260 grain pill @3000+fps from a 24 inch carbon wrapped barrel was about as close as I could get to perfect. 10.5 pounds hunt ready. Having used this for 14 hunts now it's my 338 elk rifle of choice.
Just another peckerwood living in the woods!
0D5CCB0B-217F-46E5-A040-0E63D27257A3.jpeg
AE5F8F79-B0B3-40BC-B414-85D65FA94DE7.jpeg

Last edited:
Love the 338's. Built em' heavy, built em' light. RUM, EDGE, LAPUA, & Lapua Ai.

Unless you can turn up the gas to run 300's at 3k - 250's are a great option. Fast moving 250's are some SERIOUS elk medicine.

Running 300's from 2850-3050 in a sub 9 pound rifle is not for the faint at heart, it takes serious discipline!

Love the 338's. Built em' heavy, built em' light. RUM, EDGE, LAPUA, & Lapua Ai.

Unless you can turn up the gas to run 300's at 3k - 250's are a great option. Fast moving 250's are some SERIOUS elk medicine.

Running 300's from 2850-3050 in a sub 9 pound rifle is not for the faint at heart, it takes serious discipline!
I'm not a fan of brakes but I'd put a brake on it for sure. How does a 9.5lb 338 that has an aggressive brake handle recoil? I'd like to keep it under 10 pounds scoped if possible.

If you were going to have one 338 which Cartridge would you build?

Ok, I need some help here. I'm at the infancy stages of THINKING about building a 338 long range elk rifle. I'm trying to wrap my head around 338 edge and 338 edge + P.

1. They both run off a standard magnum bolt face, correct? No need to run with a lapua size bolt face.

2. Adg has 338 edge brass, which is a 300RUM necked to a 338? Still correct? What's the 338 edge + P case? This is where it gets muddy. Is that a 338 edge case that's fire formed, or a completely different case?

3. Can I run both a edge and edge plus P in a normal mag box, looks like a 4" box is about the longest? Lots of guys building single feed rifles, for elk hunting id like a mag fed rifle, am I limiting myself with coal if I go mag fed?

4. Anybody want to offer up his opinion on a $2000 build in a 338 edge? Curious about components.

5. Is the edge + p a little too wild cat for the "normal guy"? Finding dies, a gunsmith to throat a barrel, etc seems to be a lot more difficult, but the thought of another 150fps is hard to ignore!
What are your expectations?
Uses, animals, money, practice,
#4 is a limit that you will most likely be unable to reach
At least I was