338 edge best groups

michael A.

i am trying to findout what kind of groups people are seeing with 338 edge. please list your best group size and range, maybe what your setup is. thanks mike

I don't have a 338 Edge but would figure that group size depend a bit on who put the gun together.

If the top smiths that are here three shots @ 100 would make pretty much one large hole.;)

roy
u are right that is what my DE 338 will do the one hole thing @ 100
i am trying to set myself a goal for group size at longer distence
i know there are a lot of different variables that come into play here but i would like to see what other people are able to get with there rifles

Here's some test loads with the 300gr SMK at 100 yards. 94,94.5 and 95 gr test loads. Looks like it likes the 94.5 load . Had 7-8fps spread on the Chrony with this load.
Edge.jpg

These are 250 gr SMK at 100 yards.
338.jpg

1400 yard group with the 250 gr SMK.
338edge3.jpg

I am thinking very seriously about getting a 338 edge, but i have a question about the cases. what cases do you use? and how do you do it?
I hand reload a lot mainly for 223 and 270 which you can just buy the brass for. any information would be helpful
nice group on the 1400 yard target

The gong is the bottom of a large propane tank. I think it's around 24".

The gunsmith who built the rifle actually did the test groups on the gong shooting in a 15-20 mph wind:eek: Montana usually is quit windy:mad:

My standard load is 93 grains of H1000 with a 300gr SMK...velocity is 2870fps out of my 31" barrel. 94 grains shot 2930, but the es was lower (es of 6) with the 93 gr load.The 93 gr load is the left target..94 on the right.
338edge007.jpg

Here are the rifles....
338edge006.jpg

I have shot on paper out to 805yds...It holds just over 1/2 moa at that range. My brother owns the other one and he called me tonight as was shooting clay pigeons at 900 with his. The Edge is a very easy to shoot caliber as you probably already know.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.