338 AM @ 1276 Yards

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
1276ALLEN.JPG

Went out to set up for the up coming LRH class this weekend and did a little shooting with the 338 AM. Having already made a second round hit on a rockchuck at 1073 yards a few weeks ago I knew of the rifles potential but had never put bullets on to something that showed a group at distance.
I setup my R&R flash target with a fresh coat of paint at 1276 yards. The R&R targets are really great for this kind of shooting as they make it easy to detect a hit with the naked eye. The circle on this model is 12" in diameter. I setup the AM with a Harris "s" bipod and pod-loc on the front. The rear was supported by a Red-Tac poly bead light weight rear bag that I use for field work. I broke out the Kestrel and Dell with Exbal, entered the conditions, 67 degrees, 47%, 26.4 bar, 3624' and a cosine of .98. The Exbal program gave me an elevation correction of 23.50 MOA. I dialed in the 23.50 MOA and having shot out to 1148 yards on a disk in different conditions to get my dope justified was pretty confident in elevation. Now for the killer, wind, I studied the leaves and grasses, consulted the Kestrel and determined that there was a slight wind from right to left to the tune of .50 MOA. I dialed .50 MOA right wind. I settled in behind the AM and launched a 300 SMK down range toward the plate. I recovered from the slight recoil in time to watch the last of the trace drop into and strike the plate through the Nightforce 5.5-22 NXS. I could see the hit on the edge of the plate at 2:00. I loaded, held off for the second round and launched the second round to connect with that hit also. I loaded a third round, looked at the wind picked up an increase in wind to the left and held the right edge of the plate when I launched the round. The third round scored a hit also. I loaded the 4th round quickly trying to shoot the same condition if possible. I fired the forth round and had the bolt back by the time it struck the plate. Loading the fifth round I thought the wind had backed off a little so I went back to a center hold and fired the fifth round striking the plate for the fifth time. I got up from my prone position, turned off the video camera and went to the spotting scope to access the group on the plate. After looking through the spotting scope a little I was kind of disappointed as all of the rounds were only and inch or two from missing the plate. While driving the 10 minutes down the retrieve the plate it occurred to me that I usually shoot my 18" square fixed disk here. Also in these conditions with my 338 Edge I would have been happy to have kept 5 consecutive hits on the 18" plate, the group I had just fired having to hold differently almost every shot was still on a target that was not quite a 1 MOA target. While this performance is not the best I have done at this distance it is the best I have done at this distance in conditions like this before. I can't wait for really good conditions and a chance to shoot at 2K.

WHERE ARE THE BEARS!!!!!

Good shooting my friend, nice rifle as well!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have been trying to get away for some shooting as well and hope to sometime this week.

Any sign of those bears cooperating with you or is the season closing down soon?

Again, good shooting. I get the same way as you and get a little annoyed at some group sizes until I set back for a few minutes and realize what just happened. We get used to the performance of these big girls and then its hard to stay realistic.

Sum moa in varying wind conditions is pretty darn good in my book!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

By the way, Stop shooting quick 5 shot groups, your going to toast your throat!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Shay and I went out last Friday but just couldn't find one. It was too bad the conditions were rare, almost perfect, the kind of day you wished you were shooting 2K. Season closed yesterday. Fall bear season opens Sept 1st and is quite a bit better than spring in my opinion.

Go ahead and toast the throat, save the good part for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Impressive!!!!

I gotta get a couple more frustrating shooting sessions under my belt then get attend one of those courses. I choke pretty bad when distances get out towards 1K. Some times I can't even brake the trigger. I think some counseling is in order /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Nice shooting Shawn! I took my Edge out on our annual off range shoot and was very pleased with my results. I'm going to try and do a little write up on it.

That 338 AM is nice! I'm starting to feel the need for one, but my Edge is shooting really well for me right now.

Shaun ,

What an awsome looking rifle. Being relatively new to the 1000 yard hunting, I love the ballistics this rifle offers. Could you outline the basics involved in putting a rifle like this together i.e action type, barrel type length and so on.

Sorry to trouble you, but just don't have much idea where you would even start ??

Many thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shawn, awesome shooting!!!! That looks like each one of your shots would have easley connected on a rockchuck at that range.

Man, that's awesome shooting.

Would kind of action, barrel, ect are you using. The action looks like a BAT.

Wildcat

Shawn Carlock,

You and Kirby one of these days will be responsible for giving me a heart attack.

[ QUOTE ]
After looking through the spotting scope a little I was kind of disappointed as all of the rounds were only and inch or two from missing the plate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like numbers and knowing the plate has 12" diameter, I figured the group you shot is right around <font color="red"> 0.672 MOA </font>. I believe that's pretty close to what it was.

As Roy said: IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0.672 MOA at almost 1300 yards in a varying condition like that it has to be a heck of a rifle and a heck of a shooter.

And to think I was just beginning to like you and Kirby!

Thanks guys. It is a:
BAT 8.5x 1.550" action
Broughton 32" 6 flute barrel
HS Precision stock
NF rings
NF NXS 5.5-22x NPR1
DE cheelpiece
DE brake
Those are the basics. The load I'm using launches a 300 gr. SMK @ 3318 fps. It is an impressive round and in rally good conditions will allow you to reach way out there.

Nice looking rig and great shooting...good to see that someone is living the dream...What I'm hearing up here in BC is that Deer and Elk trmeble in their beds hearing reports that you are in their county. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I don't know about trembling but I have a great clip of video from last year of a whitetail buck bedded down @ 951 yards that never got to hear the sound of the shot. I am going to have it put on my website soon. I try not to let many get away that I shoot at, don't want word to get out to the other deer and elk that we are around.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.