Kirby Allen .338 AM

LR3

I received my .338 from Kirby based on the larger Gibbs .505 / 408 CT case

Just an update from a very satisfied customer with the work even if it did taken a long time!

I broke the barrel in with 30 rounds at 100 yd. as I broke it in it shot slightly higher I presume as the barrel smoothed out.

Took it out today to 2235 yd. I set my zero at 7.2 MOA high using the 2Mil bar above the center of the reticle. That's 7.6 " high but with the 2 mil I shot .25" group on 1" bulls eye.

I then added .5 MOA to dial for 600 and 9.5 for 1000. Mostly hit the plates, then 1740 and then 2235. The Kestrel AP calculations were spot on with G7 4.190 and 3270 fps

It's a great cartridge. I caution you my barrel went 800 rounds before it was toast. Think about the two year waiting period before you hammer a bunch of rounds down range. This is a long range hunting cartridge. Enjoy your rifle.

Yes H50BMG, 300gr Berger. Kirby says you can get more velocity but I d like to preserve the barrel a little longer and it's more difficult to keep the rifle accurate at the higher velocity

The other powder Kirby has tried but not tested over a range of temperatures is RL50. With 144 gr he got 3310 fps with the same accuracy at 1000yd.

Just out of interest I compared my old .375 AM with SMK 350gr and the new .338 AM (G7 is less at .376 than the .338 of .4190) and at 2400 yd the .338 is needing less MOA with the same velocity of 3270 fps as expected. Obviously the .375 has better diameter and punch but this fall for antelope, mulies, and elk I ll take the .338. Hope the Bergers do the job. Shot enough elk and mulies with the .375 for now.

Just a late update. Took the rifle to NM and shot antelope at 740yd in October. Mule deer only 110 yd. After two ranging shots, hit verified tuft of grass of 5" at 2650 yd. No wind and up canyon in perfect conditions.

Sure. I bought a .375 AM built on the Gibbs .505/ Chetac case from Kirby Allen some 10 years ago and it's a great rifle and took mule deer out to 805 yards and elk to 636 yards. I asked him to build me a 3000 yard capable rifle and based on his experience with Blacksunshine, a .338 on the same case ( if I remember correctly he and his brother shot a prairie dog at some 2500 yds with it), he recommended a .338. That was also about the time the Berger .338 hybrid was becoming available. It took some time to get it together, partly because of parts and the first barrel was a dud so he changed to a Bartlein. Kirby is a true professional and delivered on his promise. He was not happy with .75 MOA at 1200 yds! The rifle has a BAT single round action. Stock is a simple McMillen. Big muzzle brake. For the .375 I have 10 round magazines and also 3 and 5 but I don't use them. Maybe single is stiffer and more accurate but I don't think much difference. My other .375, a single action Snipetac is about the same in accuracy - 2.5-4" at 1000 yds. I ve never gotten away from SMK .375 (always worked for me, blasted big holes, and no 'penciling') and GC rounds but the new .338 Berger seemed promising. I liked the carefully tested G1 and G7 numbers. I use a custom shooting rest prone.

What has been a pleasure is the Applied Ballistics and Shooter programs are spot on for vertical adjustment. Horizontal adjustment though is not as accurate, at least not for me but that maybe because of scope cant although I ve checked that. The round maybe drifts a little more with wind but to keep .25 MOA to .5 for long range is a pleasure for confidence. (I know the BC is better so should not matter) I use a 12-50 S&B scope. I have a 40MOA bridge so I have to zero it beyond 100 yd. I first made the mistake with my .375 AM of zeroing at 400 yd but from going from 1000' to 6500' causes problems with calculations etc. Unfortunately the scope is an earlier one with Mil reticle so I use the 2 Mil mark above center reticle and use this as my zero at 100 yd locally and at 6500 (you always check your zero don't you!? Learnt my lesson). Groups .25 at 100 yd or less but I only shoot 3 shots a never get it hot. 2 Mil, That's 7.2 MOA so for shots beyond about 600 yd I just subtract 7.2 from the calculated MOA and use the center of the reticule. Not ideal and I shot over an antelope at 1240 yd because of a miscalculation! Also for less than 600 yd you have do the calculation by subtracting the difference. Since the S&B has some 75 MOA range, I can get out to 2650 and more without using the reticle for hold over. I tried just over 3000 yd but could not see the strikes and I suspect that may be partly from dropping through the sound barrier. Not sure. Since I ll probably only get about 700-800 rounds through this barrel and it's my go to LR hunting rifle I m not going to burn up the barrel or bullets to figure it out.

Trust that is helpful. Cheers.

Ten years ago that's about when I orders my .375 AM and am still waiting. Lol not quite that long. Good to hear it's worth the wait. The original two years seemed long but that has come and gone long ago. Before Christmas he had my laser's in hand for load work so it should be anytime. I plan to take it to Texas at the end of the month. If it turns out like everyone says I will be happy I waited.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.