.300 WSM vs. 7mm WSM

that is funny i have shot deer at 700 800 and 1000 yards and elk at 600 and 1050 yards with my 300 wsm with 150 and 180 gr bullets

that is funny i have shot deer at 700 800 and 1000 yards and elk at 600 and 1050 yards with my 300 wsm with 150 and 180 gr bullets

How about a ONE-SHOT kill at 1159 yards with a 7mm WSM & 162 gr A-Max? You call it luck I call it skill, you say it's BS I say it's BC.

Guys, this debate.. 7mmWSM vs 300WSM...

I have just had to make this decision. These were my two choices.. and what did I pick. The 300WSM.

The 7mmWSM will shoot flatter, and higher BC bullets. Yes, great out long. But what I am seeing is these guns are loaded warm, which does not help the barrel out, if you know what I mean. Nice short neck, lots of powder being pushed down the smaller bore. I would like to mention too, that my rifle will be shot a fair bit, so this was a consideration for me. If you are only shooting a couple hundred rounds a year, jump straight onto the 7mmWSM.

Now, the reason why I chose the 300WSM. Firstly, more rounds down the barrel before its a tomato stake, but I will be planning on putting a few rounds down the barrel per year. Second, bullet selection. I feel the 30cal has a better bullet selection over the 7mm. In the 30cal range that I plan on shooting, I have Sierra 190, 200, 210's, Bergers 210's, Hornady 208's, and Lapua 185's. The Sierra 200MK's and Hornady 208's will be my first choices.

The other question, is how often will I be taking shots at 1000yds+. Here in Australia where I am, very rarely. So do I need this added performance that the 7mmWSM offers at these long ranges. I think not.

The 300WSM also has brass selection, Winchester, Remington, and Norma. This is more than what is offered by the 7mmWSM.

The components I am using for this rifle are Stiller TAC300, Lilja barrel, PAI brake, Badger M5 metal, NIghtforce, and Manners stock. This combo with a 28" barrel should see me get around 2900fps with the 210's. Thats more than enough for me!

So, to conclude, I chose the 300WSM because of brass/projectile selection, not needing the extra performance because I will not be really shooting past 1000yds (and the 300WSM does fine to 1000yds, see 1000yd benchrest), and I will hopefully get longer life out of my barrel.

300WSM, SOLD!

CHeers

Mate

Good call.. yes Lapua brass is a great way to go, and previous to making the decision on the 300WSM, all my rifles are chambered in Lapua cases.

I have thought a head also, and that is why I bought the TAC300 long action and Badger M5 Long Magnum bottom metal. In the future I can go to the 300WM if I feel I need it.

I have never had a short magnum, so this is why I have chosen the a WSM over the 300WM. I plan on running the Winchester brass, and will be turning necks so I'll be alright with this brass once sorted and prepped.

Another advantage going with a long action on the WSM's is seating the projectiles right out!

I'm looking forward to it!

Cheers
Trevor

How about a ONE-SHOT kill at 1159 yards with a 7mm WSM & 162 gr A-Max? You call it luck I call it skill, you say it's BS I say it's BC.
all my shot are one shot kills. plus i just whached a guy i was guiding shoot a elk 6 times with a 7mm wsm she ran 100 yards and had to put her down with my 300 wsm.

I have a 300WSM, 7mm (not WSM) and a 300 win mag. I would not waste the money on the 300 wsm again. It is a great gun. It shoots nice groups but as I learn more about loading I just see more potential with a 300 win mag. I will still use my 300wsm all the time as I love it but if I was starting from scratch I would not go WSM again.

J MAC,

I was in this same delima about 8 months ago, however, I wanted to shoot light bullets out of the WSM Cartridge. I wanted to shot bullets from 100 to 130grn bullets for varminting out to around 800 yards.

I started doing reserch on using light bullets with one of the WSM cartridges. My goals were; to shoot the 110grn V-Max or 125grn Ballistic Tip type bullets, shoot these bullets at high velocity to help out lower BC numbers with these types of bullets, shoot them accurately and be able to use Norma Brass. After doing research, I found a gunsmith who had actually been testing such a rifle with the combination of a WSM case and shooting light bullets.

Richard Franklin discovered the 300 WSM cartridge was capable of producing awesome performances with the lighter bullets as long as the right components were used. Richard designed what is called the 300 Varminter. The 300 Varminter will shoot a 110grn V-Max at 4200fps and the 125grn BT at 4065fps.

Richard, was able to make the 300 Varminter work by using a Bartlien 30", 1-15 twist barrel, Match Tightneck .337 Chamber for Norma 300 Norma Brass, and VV-N550 powder. It is an amazing rifle for varminting out to 800 yards. The 300 Varminter, pushing the 125grn BT at 4000fps, shoots flatter than a 300RUM pushing a 200grn Accubound. However, for shots past 1000 yards, the 300RUM with 200grn Accubond is superior compared to the 125grn BT. But the 300 Varminter is built for varminting out to 800 yards, so it's perfect for it's intended purposes.

After talking to Richard, and owners of the 300 Varminter, it was a no brainer to have one of these rifles built. All who on this rifle say it is an awesome varmint machine. It was perfect for my needs. Many of my varmint hunting buddies use 204's, 22-250's, 220 Swifts, 243's, 6mmBR's, and 6mm AI. My .224 buddies use V-Max and Ballisic Tip bullets from 32grns to 50grns and my 6mm buddies use V-Max and Ballistic Tip bullets from 55grns to 87grns. All of these bullets are shot at very high velocities so the splat factor is awesome.

All of my buddies have made many kills out to 800 yards with the above mentioned rifles, mostly the 6mm's, however, some of the .22 cals have made kills at this range too. The one problem they all have once they start shooting past 500 yards, it's hard to spot the misses. I decided I wanted a .30 cal varmint rifle designed around the lighter bullets, so I could spot the misses much easier. The 300 Varminter was the answer and will be deadly out to 1000 yards. I am looking forward to varmint hunting this year, and I am looking forward to having a rifle that is so different from the norm. A 125grn BT at 4000fps will open the eyes of my local varmint hunting buddies.

Also, the 300 WSM Norma brass is performing well. If I were you, I would go with either the 300 WSM or build a 7mm-300 WSM because of the brass. Anyhow, good luck with your choice.

W.

Currently I am shooting an older 7mm REM in need of an upgrade. I have been looking at the .300 WSM, but the old 7mm shoots so flat it's hard to change. This addition to the family would be for Elk and long range groundhogs.

Comments?
I am in much the same place looking for a new rifle. I've found some good info on the fed fusion website they have a comparison chart on there that you can compare different cals. and loads on. of course this is their ammo but it will give you an idea of how the Wsms line up with other cals. Based on this and other research I am going with the 7mm wsm. But to each his/her own. Thats why there are different flavors of pie. Some like chocolate and some pecan and then some just don't like pie. gun)Good Luck and Good Hunting:D

" Long cartridges may be going the way of long automobiles. For riflemen keen to boost velocity without getting a haymaker punch to the chops, modern short magnums make sense!

-Wayne Van Zwoll-

The 7WSM sure isn't dead in my neighborhood. I defer to Winchester's own ballistics calculator. Winchester Ammunition The 7WSM shoots flatter and hits harder, when using the same size bullets, than the 300WinMag or the 300WSM.

From the above referenced charts:

7mm WSM @500yds 150gr Power Max Bonded -42.3" 1420#

300 WSM @ 500yds 150gr Power Max Bonded -44.1 1219#

300 WinMag @ 500yds 150gr Power Max Bonded -43.5 1238#

These are Winchester's figures not mine. I love this caliber(7mmWSM). Check out the following article about .5MOA groups at 1000yds.http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek064.html Try it you'll like it.:)

Last edited:
Just bought a .300wsm.. i chose it because of the extended barrel life and bullet selection over the 7wsm. I loooovveee both calibers and let me tell you I had this same debate with myself for about 6 months before finally making my choice. I love big calibers and my best friend has a .300WIN. i have shot it numerous times and the recoil doesnt bother me a bit. I like the insurance (read my signature) that a bigger caliber brings to the table in the case of shooter error. Also if you reload, .300wsm brass is alot easier to find on the shelf. If you go to winchester's website, you will see that they dont even offer factory firearms chambered in 7mmwsm... Some predicted that this caliber would slowly die out.. and it pretty much has (unless your going for a custom build.) There is something about a .300wsm that makes me think it will last as long if not longer than the .270wsm which was a BIG hit! Good luck with your decision.. Make sure you put some serious thought into it and do your research. We can only tell you our opinion, we cant tell you which caliber is right for you!

I have the 7mm Rem, 300 Weatherby, 300 WinMag, and the 7mmWSM, but I've kicked around the idea of picking up a 325WSM or something even larger. Maybe a 338 or a 340. If something nice comes along....who knows.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.