Browning Stainless Stalker .300 WSM vs. other factory rifles

tom_minnesota

Greetings all - I just joined the site. I recently sold my a-bolt .300 win mag after 12 years of great elk hunting experiences.

I plan to still elk hunt - but wanted to upgrade to stainless synthetic (tough to break out the cleaning kit after a hard day on the mountain in the rain!!).

I'd like to buy a rifle for shots out to 500-600yds. I don't see Browning mentioned on this site very often - is there a reason (or two) and if so, what would be a good factory rifle (preferred brands and why)? I appreciate the help!

As an owner of two Stainless Stalkers, one in 7mm mag and the other in .338 mag..I don't know why you wouldn't want to own another A-bolt Stainless..they are just as good as any other rifle on the market. It's seems like you've enjoyed your regular A-Bolt and you've used it for along time so just stick with what you know. Break in the barrel correctly and it will treat you right for the rest of your life..I'm sure they are making it WSM's..haven't checked but I can't imagine their not making it...why not just go with the new .325 WSM...a little more power than the .300 and a little less recoil than the .338..seems like a logical choice to me...Stick with the Browning..can't beat that little clip !!

Tom,
I'm selling a Browning Stainless Stalker in .300Rum, its brand new. I've had some work done to it. Lightened the trigger, painted the stock, muzzle break. But I haven't shot it yet. All my browning rifles have always shot very well for me. Shoot me an email if you'd like pictures.

I've got a couple A-Bolts and I like them a lot. After about 16 years and 2000+ rounds, my Composite Stalker still shoots like this on occasion:

300YDZoom_6_18_05.JPG

My best group of the weekend, about 1.42". They aren't perfect, though. One thing that has bothered me (unless Browning has improved the synthetic stock over the years) is how flexible the forend of the stock is. I'm waiting on a McMillan but in the meantime I bedded a steel bar in the forend just for the hell of it. I really like the improvement. And my trigger was never that good (apparently they're better on the newer rifles) so I replaced it.

Other than that, I can't complain. I can't wait to get the new stock...then a new tube for next season.

Good point. I was at one of the local shops today - the guy I talked to was super high on the Tikka T3. Any thoughts on that one.

I'm not a novice about guns or anything - just a novice at the ideal long range hunting set-up. Over the past couple years I've taken a couple mule deer and antelope out in the 400+ yd range.......and now it's turned into an addiction (I just get a kick out of the long range stuff)!!!

Thanks for the help.

I just traded away a T3 300WM.Picked up a 300WM 700BDL SS,the T3 was OAL clip limited and was never going to get better than just under MOA for accuracy.The 180gr accubonds/baltips were also taking up alot of the powder room when seated deep enough to fit in the clip.I also found that weighing only 6.75lbs bare I could shoot well to 400yds but the rifle seemed to move alot with every heartbeat.I wanted a rifle that can shoot further if I do my part.RB

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.