300 WIn Mag confusion

Wow!

Well at least it ended well. I found myself slapping myself in the forehead several times reading this thread. Not to pee on anyones shoes, and yes he could have been a little harsh in his loving big-brotherly approach, but I'll hand it to Tikkamike for nailing it.
He read the same thing I did and I thought the same damb thing.
OP "figured" one tried and true load for one gun would work in his other gun but resulted in a overpressure in the form of a sticky bolt lift. Nevermind the differences of personalities between identical sticks regarding the loads they can tolerate and shoot accurately, that's akin to the NO-NO of using your good ol buddy's handloads in your rifle. Still Mike nailed it and got excoriated for it. No sense in getting your feelings hurt for being outed for bad advice, a dumb mistake, misinformation, or misunderstanding. I'm glad you're intact and I'm glad that trimming worked out to "solve" the issue. However, for any newbies reading the advice given in this thread, (and again, it did end well, so good on you for that.) the correct answer was and still is; trim your brass (should have checked that in your process, anyway) but FIRST BACK OFF YOUR CHARGE AND WORK UP TO THAT LOAD for a new rifle. I can't speak for anyone else but I can say as an observer to all this, the only one who would have been able to sleep well and justify it morally if your "...one round try" worked out to kill you instead is Mike. You really are lucky...damb those Soviets for inventing that stupid roulette game....

BE CAREFUL!

Oh one more thing, RL22 is temp sensitive so here's to hoping this load doesn't rear it's ugly head again when the weather warms up. Just more food for thought.

(worth mentioning again) Be careful.

~Mutt

Mutt....thanks for the comments. As I said, I haven't been reloading for very long. Made a mistake....OK. But as I said, I absorb everything that everyone says. I didn't just make up the load. I did a lot of research and I asked a lot of questions and I went to see what others were specifically loading for the same gun. When some stuck and others didn't, it wasn't making sense that it was a load problem. That is why I got on here and posed the question. Has nobody on this forum except for me made an error? It turned out to be casing length....something that the guy that got me started reloading never has a chance to address before his cancer got him. Such is life.

Gotta say one more thing.... The only one who "nailed it" was CFVICKERS. He understood that the sticky bolt was intermittent and was not occurring every shot. If it were the load, it would have happened every shot and it didn't. Some stuck because the case was too long and some didn't because they weren't. Tikkamike claimed without a doubt that it was too much load and it wasn't. It was me not checking the casing length.... My fault. CFVICKERS was 100% totally correct in his assessment and he is the one that caught hell and was told he was dead wrong when he was 100% dead on right. Just FYI...no hard feelings with Tikkamike. As I told him, I appreciated most of what he had to say and I have learned a lot from this post. But, give CFVICKERS credit for getting it figured out....OK.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.