300 WIn Mag confusion

Tikkamike.....you are the one that is 100% wrong. I NEVER said that the Savage had a tight chamber. I ASKED if possibly it had a chamber with less tolerance. There is a diffence between stating and king, and there is a difference between "tight" and "less tolerance". I can't help it that you misconstrue what I said.

Tikkamike.....you are the one that is 100% wrong. I NEVER said that the Savage had a tight chamber. I ASKED if possibly it had a chamber with less tolerance. There is a diffence between stating and king, and there is a difference between "tight" and "less tolerance". I can't help it that you misconstrue what I said.
i didnt say you did and I never said you were the one that was wrong... I was talking to CFVICKERS. He was the one that said maybe you had a tight chamber. I then explained to you that is was a SAAMI chamber. might go re read the thread. either way I am done here, good luck and back off the powder before you blow your rifle up.

Wow.....well, I am glad you're done here. If Savage rifles can't handle this load, then I need to get rid of the rifle, not the load.

I myself cheek and trim as needed every time . I also have a gauge to cheek seating depth . it all helps in the big mix of it all . I think Tikkamike just had a bad day he has given me some great advice in the past . and I see what he is saying a hand load that works in one might blow in another . in a .223 I show psi sings with a very light load but it will shoot factory loads that are hotter with no psi sings . always be safe and work up a load with a new riffle and that's some thing I truly believe and have taught my kids . That way we all can live longer to teach others .

You said tight chamber, you were wrong, plain and simple. Yes you may have meant low end of the SAAMI spec which would make it tighter but by definition you were 100% wrong and I can not go off of what you meant to say... only what you DID say. I obviously upset you which is understandable but it is what it is.

I said "PRETTY TIGHT" Never once did I say "Tight Chamber" Now, speaking of a factory rifle, it is obviously a SAAMI spec chamber, but they can very well be "pretty tight" Considering it was factory "for a factory chamber" goes without saying, at least to someone not trying to find a reason that this person could be wrong. You can use technicalities to make yourself appear to be better informed or know more but the bottom line is that if it is at or close to the minimal end of specs, it is indeed pretty tight. So You are "WRONG!" as you put it.

I am sorry to any who may read this, for engaging in this argument in public, but I will not back down when some seemingly pompous individual calls me out and I KNOW I am correct in what I am saying.

I made some suggestions and I left open the fact that any or all may not work. The basis of my suggestions was fully disclosed. He could take these suggestions and try them or not. It would only take one round fired to see if trimming the brass was the issue. If one single round at this point (after he has fired a few already) destroys his rifle, it was already seriously damaged. So to make it out like I had told him something unsafe is wrong on every account.

No apology necessary CFVICKERS. I appreciate all of your input. Tikkamike was wrong about the length of my Ruger....it was a 24" barrel. So even if the LRH is a 26" because of the brake (which I am not certain of), this rifle should not have problems with the load I have simply because e size of the load. I trimmed the casings to 2.616 and I am going to try the same load. If it blows up, then you're right, there was a problem with the rifle to begin with. Some of my brass was up in the 2.63 range so I feel certain that the cartridge was getting a little jammed. I will let you know how it turns out.

CFVICKERS......max casing length is 2.62", so should I trim to 2.618 or less?

I would if it were mine. Personally I would trim it to 2.610-2.613 and fire it to see just how much it is stretching. With one round. He was right that the load COULD BE hot, but it doesn't sound out of line at all. Just have to check it. If you get a sticky bolt after trimming then you will definitely need to back your charge down. You are naturally going to get more case stretching the closer to maximum that you get. But if stretching is not accompanied by flattened primers, loosening primer pockets, or pressure rings above the belt then you are most likely in good shape.

Tikka mike.....I thought you were done here. Vickers has one of the same rifles, just a different caliber, and has the same problem when his brass gets too long. So why could I not have the same problem, especially when I KNOW for a fact that my brass has stretched? Why do you have to be so cock fire arrogant? Tell me....do you own a Savage LRH? Do you own a 300 win mag? If so, what do you load for it?

No primer flattening, loose pockets or rings above the belt at all. The Winchester xp3 cartridge has a flatter primer than mine.

I guess I'll wade in on this as I've had it happen a couple times, exact same deal. What I found is it's not from being a tight chamber but long head spacing, what happens is you fire SAMMI spec brass, which is a couple or few thousands smaller than a min spec SAMMI chamber, in a chamber that has been head spaced over spec. In the times I ran into it the chambers were over spec by .009 with put me at .013 head spacing, when you fire the firing pin pushes the case forward the when it fires the case slam back which can give you flatter than flat primers and can lock you up or give you some heavy bolt lift, usually factory will shoot better due to them being loaded lower than hand loads.

A quick check for this is to just put some scotch tape on the back of a none fired case, layer on the tape till you can't drop the bolt, each piece of tape is around .002, if you get out past .010 your going to need some tools!

75.4 grains of RL22 behind a 180 grain Nosler E-Tip is a hot load to start with 77g is max with RL22 just thought I would let you know

Thanks TL. I knew it was on the upper end but since it worked well in the Ruger, I thought I would try it it in the Savage and see. I have learned a lot from all of you and thank you for all of your input. Will try one round with the 75.4 and trimmed cases. If the problem persists, I will back off to around 74.6 and work up.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.