.300wm confusion

my guess is an answer your probably not going to want to here but it happens to me all the time. My first group sucks so i then tend to pay a bit more attention to my trigger work and consentrate a bit more and low and behold the group tightens. Theres some days i go to the range and everything clicks and others that i should have just stayed home.

I hear you there, the problem is, i had shot about 10 groups prior to that one with my 308

I hear you there, the problem is, i had shot about 10 groups prior to that one with my 308

Only way to be sure is shoot more groups. we could speculate all we want but with out knowing every single tiny variable it will do no good. Go out and shoot it. I would recommend a 20 shot group, of course not back to back, let it cool as normal but shoot 20 rounds with the same point of aim.

I would recommend a 20 shot group, of course not back to back, let it cool as normal but shoot 20 rounds with the same point of aim.
If you can't shoot a few dozen shots 30 to 60 seconds apart without bullet impact moving around, your barrel's not stress relieved correctly or it's not fit right to the receiver. More often than not, it's the latter.

Easy fix is to have a competant 'smith square up the receiver's front (face) with the barrel thread axis. It usually takes off no more than .005" of steel. Then shim the barrel so it clocks back in keeping the same chamber headspace. You'll need to rezero your scope as the barrel's probably pointing a tiny bit different relative to the receiver axis.

If you can't shoot a few dozen shots 30 to 60 seconds apart without bullet impact moving around, your barrel's not stress relieved correctly or it's not fit right to the receiver. More often than not, it's the latter.

Easy fix is to have a competant 'smith square up the receiver's front (face) with the barrel thread axis. It usually takes off no more than .005" of steel. Then shim the barrel so it clocks back in keeping the same chamber headspace. You'll need to rezero your scope as the barrel's probably pointing a tiny bit different relative to the receiver axis.

I say that because of heat erosion not poi shift. I'm poor and want to get as many rounds out of my 300wm as possible before I need to rebarrel. I'd bet the op feels the same about his rifle

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts