300 win.mag bullets

Jimm

i know this dates me but i like my 300 win mag. so what bullets are out there that will aid my 1000 yd. quest? presently shooting 180 nosler ballistic tips over 70 gr. imr 4350. only getting 2700 fps must be seated too deep(3.360)accuracy is 1" group at 100. thanks for your input, jimm

jimm
You might want to look at the 200 gr Sierra Matchking and the 200 gr Nosler Accubond. I shoot both over 71 grs of Re 22 @ 2900 fps, they both shoot into the same .5 - .75 moa group. I practice with the cheaper Matchkings and hunt with the Accubonds. The heavier bullets will buck the wind better when they get way out there.
Chris

I second what winmagman says, but I have had better luck with H4831SC than with any other powder, whether it be with the 200 grain matchkings or 180 accubonds. I have a custom win mod 70 and I changed out the magazine block to one for the 375 H&H and I cut the bolt stop back. Now I can seat to 3.57". HUGE benefit. H1000 powder with bullets 200 grains and over is a good powder to try as well, and of course try RL22. Just make sure things like runout are kept to a minimum.

2700FPS with IMR4350? Wow, that is slow...Might try someone else's chronograph...
I use a 200gr Accubond with IMR4350 and was getting 2950, but had to back it off a little. I am getting 2850 now (seated to magazine length), 1/2 in groups.

Jimm,
My load is a 180 Accubond with 75.5 grains of RL22 in a Frontier (Hornady case) ignited by Fed 215 gm primer. Velocity is 3150, standard deviation of 8, and 3/8" groups at 100 yards. Barrel is 24". Shoots great at long range. I have taken a spike elk at 830 yards, a cow elk at 615, a desert bighorn at 630, and another cow elk at 757! The 200 grain Accubond has an awesome b.c. though, and does have a little more energy with less wind drift. It is definetly worth a try!

yes 2700 fps. is slow.i was informed that my seat depth could be largely responsible.also i think i need to change my primer,presently using cci lg. rifle magnum.hate to do it though, i have a couple o thousand.what thinkest yall? thanks , jimm

j.courtney, hey i am not near as educated as most on this site.however it is my understanding that the 180 gr. ballistic boattail 180 gr. nosler have a higher b.c. than the 165 gr. of any configuration. help me out here guys . jimm

jimm,
Your are right on the BC for the 180's. I have only shot 98 rds thru my 300 mag, so I am not going to give you much from this end.
But, I have read several times that the 200 gr bullets or maybe a 220 will usually do very well in the 300.
--------
Zod

I have shot a variety of .30 cal bullets in my .300 Winnie.
I would stick with the Sierra MK's,
Accubonds, or Barnes TSX.
RL22 gave me EXCELLENT velocity, but accuracy was so-so.

The old classic's IMR4350 or IMR4831 is still my go to powders for a .300 Mag. I like Fed 215M primers too..sakofan..

I use 69,3 grains of IMR 4350 powder with 180 grain corlokt seated 3.340 on the chron average out 2980 I can hold a 3 shot group in a square inch at 100 yds.

thanks gonehuntingagain, your post prompted me to recheck my velocity with that load and good that i did. velocity hovers around 2975,10 or up and down.i do not have any overpressure signs. will probably try seating out a little further and check vel. and watch for over press.what is the fastest a nosler 180btbt caqn be driven out of a 26 inch barreled 700 rem.factory barrel /action?will drop aline when i check out the new changes. see ya, jimm

I'm not sure what the max velocity would be with IMR 4350, If I remember correctly, I think I have seen books list 3100fps (I could be wrong though). It will vary with the rifle, temperature, elevation, etc...Just get them dialed in such that they group well and have a low spread in FPS with each shot and go from there. Speed won't matter much if they group so poorly that they barely hit the target.

gonehuntingagain, howdy! you know,iknow what the books say,however, i am looking for real world experience with similar equip. so far it seems that that the best you can do with my current setup is 3050 fps regardless of the powder/ primer/seat depth/etc.i suppose i'm looking for the magic combo,you know, the one that can drive a 180 bullet at or over 3400 fps., out of my rig.of course , accuracy is preeminent.many thanks ,jimm

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.