300 win.mag bullets

sakofan, maybe its what i'm not hearing that causes me to ask further. perhaps it is because no one has sufficient experience with the nosler ballistic tip boatail(180gr.)in my own hunting experience this bullet has performed properly at all ranges on large elk. i know this is is a broad statement but , nevertheless, it is true. i m not trying to push this bullet on anyone, simply discover what is out there by real world users.yes, i like the **** thing, but that is personal. well then, speak up, i await your enlightenment. thanks, jimm

Jimm, The ballistic tip bullet is known for great accuracy & great explosions at close range hits. Accubond is basically the same bullet with bonding. Why take a chance on big game with a bullet that could fail at shorter ranges? You never know what mother nature will offer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Why would you not try the accubond if you are so fond of the BT Jimm? That one is very hard for me to understand. I have had some very bad experiences with BTs hitting the edges of shoulder bones or ribs and dissintigrating. I would not use one on elk ever again after using them on elk 3 years ago. Let me tell you, the accubonds are as accurate as the BTs, and a touch moreso in my own experience. They are a heck of a good bullet. I bought me a 300 WSM a few weeks ago with a 1-11" twist and I cannot wait until the 165 accubonds come out (Nosler says next year).

i will try the accubond,thanks shilen30 for putting it the way you did.is the b.c. same or better,also what weights ?i have 6 or so reloading manuals but none new enough ,must remedy that soon.what velocity are you getting with what powder?thanks again,jimm

Well Jimm, I started out trying the 200 grain accubonds in my custom 300 win mag. I acually got mixed results with them. Some days they would group tight, other days they wouldn't. I later tried the 180s, and they were the ticket. I personally settled on 72.5 grains H4831SC. My particular rifle was not a big fan of RL22, but yours may be. I would definitely try both powders. One of the things I have loved about the accubonds is that in my rifle I have not needed to seet to the lands for great accuracy. This is not the case with the sierra matchkings I use for paper. I really do think you will have great luck with them. I don't know how many people I have talked to say they have gotten the best accuracy + terminal performance with the 180 grain accubonds + RL22 or H4831 in the 300 win mag. seams to be a sure winner.

P.S. The BC of the accubonds are slightly higher than that of the BTs since the accubonds are a bit longer than the BTs. I would not worry about that so much though.

i have a out of the box browning 300 that shoots less than 1/2"@100 yd with horaday custom factory ammo

accubond vs. BT

I called Nosler to ask why they didn't offer BT's for my 375 RUM anymore. [ QUOTE ]
We don't want our customers ****ing off cape buffalo's - so we only offer the .375" in accubond

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I switching over from BT's to accubonds where I can.

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you not try the accubond if you are so fond of the BT Jimm? That one is very hard for me to understand. I have had some very bad experiences with BTs hitting the edges of shoulder bones or ribs and dissintigrating. I would not use one on elk ever again after using them on elk 3 years ago. Let me tell you, the accubonds are as accurate as the BTs, and a touch moreso in my own experience. They are a heck of a good bullet. I bought me a 300 WSM a few weeks ago with a 1-11" twist and I cannot wait until the 165 accubonds come out (Nosler says next year).

[/ QUOTE ] Man, you are going to love that one in eleven twist if you shoot 180 grainers. I had one made up for me years ago in .308 norma mag and it shot like a house afire with the 180's. I'am afaird I shot it out long before the advent of the 165 grainers. I sure like that combo. My present .300 WINNY has a one in twelve twist that really likes the 180 and 200 but it never has shot like that old 1 in 11 did. Funny how, when you run through 40 pounds of H4831 there ain't much left of the bore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hi Jimm
I just got into reloading about a year ago. I have ruger m77 in the 300 win mag. I can drive tacks with it out to 100 yds. I'm using IMR 4350 69.3 grs. with 180 gr. corlokt bullet,but at 200 yds its about a 2inch group and 300 yds its a good 5 inch group. Tried increase powder tried decreasing powder tried different seating, tried a different primer, still stays the same. Have any suggestion.

Thank You

Terry

3sixbits,

I just shot my 300 win mag with the 11 twist for the first time today. I shot 2 different loads during barrel break in. 200 grainers and 180 grainers with H4831. There was a bunch of snow down so my chair and bench were not solid, but with just the 2 loads I tested I was able to get .5" groups with both loads. Not a bad start. I should be able to do better on occasion once I adjust seating depth and charge a touch. It is funny because these were the 2 best loads through my last barrel though it was a 1 in 10 twist.

terry, sorry i missed seeing your question till now. my youngest son has a ruger 300 winmag.trigger was terrible so i put a timney trigger in it.that reduced his group size by 3/4".however your rifle is already shooting good for a factory job with no mods.as you read the various post here you will see that there are many mods that can be done to improve accuracy.i guess it comes down to how much $ you want to spend. see ya , jimm

Jimm What kinda of cases are you using? That velocity is like a 30/06 not very good at all. Out of a 26 inch Sako 300 win I am getting 3125 fps with a 180 Accubond with 75 grains of R-22. If you rifle does not like R-22 I would take a hard look at H-1000. If you are going to shoot 1000 yards I would forget the 180 and go with a 200 grain Accubond or Sierra. Do you have any signs of pressure if you go hotter with your load? Or does the group open up when you go higher? Sometimes the group will open up then close back up tight when you are working your way up in grains. Most magnums shoot the best at close to max loads.

Dakor, my nosler manual shows that i should be getting about 3000fps with this load.I have not tried to increase my powder yet,hope to soon but i'm in the middle of equip. failure/must replace equip.(powder measure).I think that my seat depth has a lot to do with the lack of full velocity with a given load . Will play with that next. As for the cases ,I use both win or rem for now.Also, I have no pressure signs/problems at this level. Jimm

Look at the accubonds. Great bullets!

My personal best. <font color="red"> .675" at 300 yds! </font>
300 RUM SAKO 75 Stainless Synthetic (stock rifle)
200 grain Accubond 92 gr RL25 and 3148 fps.

f7e12e92.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.