.300 Win.Mag./200gr.Accubond Question

Jim Hundley

Tried this load the other day.The recipe is from the Hodgdon reloading book.
200 gr.Nosler Partition(subsituted 200gr.Accubond)
84 grs.Retumbo
2960 fps.
Fed.GM215m primer
Winchester brass
.300 Win.mag.
This is a SUPER compressed load and it is very tedious to compact the powder enough to seat the bullet to an oal of 3.385" which my rifle will accept.
My question is that when I run this load through the Quick Load program it shows pressure going through the roof,something like 82,000psi!However,there are no apparant pressure signs or any problems(that i am aware)when shooting this load.It will shoot consistantly below .5".
Can someone enlighten me?As I said,this load is from the book.
Thank you,
Jimmy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

What velocity does QL predict? Have you measured your case capacity (my 300 RUM has 3 grains more capacity than the QL default)?

The Accubond isn't exactly like the Partition, but the Hogdon data is also for a 24" barrel so if you have a 26" I'd say you're golden.

You can get an extended drop tube powder funnel from Forester products (have seen in Sinclair catalog). Long drop tube allows powder to pack better as it falls. Will definitel shorten your "packing" process! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

75700psi and 3160fps from a 25.3" barrel,QL prediction.I am getting 2985fps.I do use a long drop tube and it helps some,but still a bunch of powder in the case!I also don't believe pressure is this high(QL)or I would be experiencing pressure signs.
Jimmy

Skidly,

What length barrel do you have. I have 26" tube and I get 3038 fps average out of 80.5 grains of H1000, 215M primers, new Winchester cases and the 200 grain Accubond out of my .300 WM.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.