.300 Win.mag./H-1000

Jim Hundley

Not really a question,but just need some back-up.I have worked up loads for this caliber with the 168 TSX using RL-19,RL-22,H-4831,Retumbo,and H-1000.I had good results with RL-22,but due to it's inconsistancies (tempt. and lots)decided to try the others.Although I couldn't find much popularity for the H-1000 in this caliber,I find it just about right for my rifle.The 168 TSX chronys (Oehler) at 3195 fps. with a compressed (105%) load of this powder and seems to be ok out of my rifle.At this velocity my Quick Load shows about 61,400 psi.(needing an ajustment to 84.3 grs.to equal this velocity).The rifle groups from .4 to ,7" consistantly.The seating is .030" off.Am I on the right track?
Thank you,
Jimmy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

YOu say "am I on the right track"? From what I read in your post that's like saying I just bought a brand new 4 wheel drive suburban for $20,000....am I on the right track??
Humor aside you talk about your "corrected" qc reading. I don't think you gave the actual load you used?
What is the load...is it within hogdon guidlines...and you are not seeing any pressure signs?? I'd say enjoy the heck out of it.

Kraky1,
I am loading 83grs.of H-1000.My barrel is a Hart @25.3" with a minimal SAAMI chamber/.3395" neck and a .10" leade.
This is a warm load,I know,but haven't seen pressure signs.My once fired brass (Lapua) holds 94.6 grs. of water.
I had been loading 82.5grs.and the velocity was the same shooting over a Chrony Beta Master.I bought a new Oheler and the load clocked 3145-3155.Increased load to 83grs.to getback the 40fps.These loads average under 20 es and under 10 sd.Average low teens es and single digit sd's.Don't have log book in front of me.These figures were at 55-65 degree weather.Can't find Hodgdon figures on this bullet powder combo,but the Barnes data is 84 grs.for their 165 bullet and they state that the TSX can be loaded up to 2grs.over the 165 load.Kinda flying by the seat of my pants,therefore the post.
What are your thoughts?
Jimmy

I'd say you're good to go....unless maybe you have loose primer pockets after say 3 reloads. BTW I'm not sure I "buy" the story about the tsx being good for 1-2 grains over.....maybe over the old barnes bullets but probably now the same as any other bullet like say a nosler bt or hornady?
Sounds like you have a "killer rig" on your hands!

Kraky1,
I just got off the phone with tech reps at Barnes and Hodgdon.The Barnes rep told me that the load was within specs and thought that I should try more powder(???) and the Hodgdon man said that it sounded fine according to his figures.So,I guess that I am ok.Shot one deer with it last year and believe it or not the combo killed him!
Thanks for your feedback!
Jim

H-1000 is my go-to powder for the .300 Win Mag. I am running 83.5 gr H-1000 with the 180 TSX, getting 3150 fps. I'm sure your load is safe, it's almost always safe to substitute a lighter bullet, and definitely safe to substitute one of the same type and brand, but lighter weight.

They shot great for me, all the way to 1030 yards.

The Barnes bullets, being solid copper- therefore harder than lead-core bullets- produce less pressure, you can pretty much always use more powder than with a conventional bullet of the same weight. You really kinda have to, in order to reach that "happy place" where you get a good, crisp load.

Full throttle is where my .300 likes to run, your results may vary, use caution, work up to max loads, don't run with scissors, etc.

marc

PS, alot of benchrest shooters like H-1000 in the .300 WM

Don't worry about the powder charge at all. I am loading a Mark V 270 Weatherby with 73 gr RL 22 with 130 gr Barnes X and 74 gr RL 22 with 130 gr TSX getting 3397 and 3461 fps respectively. I loaded up to 74.5, but the groups opened up from 1/3 MOA to 2+ MOA. If it is working, don't fix it. H1000, as you stated, should be a more stable choice.

81 grains of H-1000 on Federal Gold Medal Brass
180 grain Hornady BTSP
Chronograph a tad over 3000 fps
Very consistent and accurate on my Model 70 Laredo LRH

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.