.300 Ultra Mag vs. 7mm Ultra Mag

I would be interested in seeing a 240gr bullet with the VLD nose profile. AS good of a bullet the 240 SMK is, when you look at it it is kinda ugly, like a flying brick.

Hits hard as hell though. I hear Richard Graves is gonna start making some WC bullets in 30cal again. SHould be interesting to see what he comes up with. I have one of his older 190gr 30cal ULD RBBT'S and it is nice looking

steve

In a 26" tube, I dont think the 300 RUM can push the 240g to a significant velocity to make it that great. It seems to do better with either the 210g vld or 220g smk at a little higher velocity while not losing to much in the BC department. Now if you can push that big 240g a little faster, it would probly be hands down better, but for regular 26" barrel, I think the 220g is the heaviest to go. Doesn't richard make a 225g ULD?? That bullet is said to rival the 240g smk for BC and should get going at 3000fps out of a 26" tube. Very good ballistics.

If US869 matches the best of the old H870 (which I think it will easily) 2950 is easily possible from a 26" barrel. If it does better than H870 (which initial data suggests it should) then it'll go up from there.

But that doesn't make the bullet any better. The reason the 210's do so well is they have a better shape--they're more efficient. Place a 210 Berger next to a 240 and it looks like an arrow sitting next to a brick. OK, that's a slight exaggeration, but you see what I mean. A heavier bullet with as good a shape will only be that much better.

Since we aren't only punching paper but trying to kill things, one of the reasons I like the 240 SMK so much is for its terminal performance. You stated "mixed results" with 200's and 220's above. Trust me, try the 240's and the results won't be mixed. I've never heard of anybody ever having a problem with that bullet expanding or penetrating. It seems to just blow a giant hole through whatever you point it at, close or far--which is every bit as important as ballistic hair-splitting when the game is hunting and not paper punching.

It's a fine bullet on all counts. Some bullets may beat it in some categories, but for all around blowing a big hole through stuff at long range, I don't think you'll find a better one until Richard builds one.

Terminal effects of getting hit by a 240gr SMK started out at 2800fps are not a question!!!!!

This is a exit wound with no hard tissue contact
BuffaloDeer2005004.jpg

EXIT wound with bullet traveling from front onside shoulder to rear offside hip, bullet struck spinal column just before exiting
BuffaloDeer2005003.jpg

I do agree with you that the 240 is lacking a little though. Out at pdog town BJ drops out of supersonic at 1600yds, at this point his consistancy goes out the window. THis also may have to do with the fact that he is shooting a 1-10 twist and is just on the fringe of stabilizing this bullet.

Just have to wait and see what big ol northern Richard produces for us.

take it easy
steve

i can't believe that deer fell down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif has anyone tried the new 210 sierra? i know jb1000 got a bunch of em.it's not shaped like other sierra's, it looks like a berger with a secant ogive. the BC is about the same as the 240.

I just went back in our warehouse and looked at a pic comparing the 210 to the 240 and the 210 looks a hell of a lot better. The 240 is so big it is just impressive but the nose profile leaves a little to be desired. IF the BC of the 210 is similiar to the present 240 it outta be hell on wheels

take it easy
steve

Thats basically the same as the 220g smk then. I would like to see the new 210g smk's. Are they available yet?? I like the 210g VLD's very much. .640 BC seems to be pretty spot on from my testing to 1150 yards. Impact at 1150 yards is pretty impressive to. Lerch, that 240g SMK was only started at 2800fps? How far was the deer again? Thats pretty good terminal performance for only getting started at 2800fps, with no contact to bone as well.

Lerch is selling my gun a little short. It started @ 2850 fps. I could get it faster but it just makes one little bug hole @ this velocity so I'm not going to screw w/it. The deer was right @ 500 yds.

Thanks Bill. If you wouldn't mind, could you tell me the load used? I will write it down for future references. I might want to use the 240g smk out of my lilja barreled RUM in the very near future. Thanks!

240 SMK .010" off the lands (not sure the exact length off the top of my head). 85 gr Retumbo w/a Fed GM215M lighting the fire. This is out of a 30" 4 groove Lilja. As bad as I hate to admit it, (sorry Kirby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, better hurry on that 6-250 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, I know it'll will take over that distinction when I get it) but this thing is the best shooter @ 100 yds I have. It just refuses to shoot anything over .5 MOA and puts this load into <.25 MOA everytime.

I haven't shot it or my 270 AM on paper @ 1000 + yds but I can tell you from our extended pd shooting that the AM will beat it once you pass about 1200 yds. I've busted milk jug after milk jug after milk jug @ 1000 yds w/both rilfes. There's something pretty darn cool about exploding those things one right after the other /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

I got a 7 Ultra a couple of years ago and like it a lot, I load 160 ABs and 93.5 grains of Retumbo only things I have killed with it are two elk and the long shot was only 250 yards but it did a good job. I would still be shooting a big .30 but I just didn't like the the recoil and I don't want a brake(my left ear is already ruined). If you are mainly interested in a long range deer gun a 7 should be fine, I won't argue 7 vs 30 because they are both great calibers, for me it's just a matter of recoil.

I've loaded for both the 7 and 300 RUMs for a couple of years now. I like them both. Bullet selection is better for the 300 as has been mentioned. Recently I have been loading the Barnes 200gr TSX moly bullet. I've been getting 3400fps from a Chris Matthews custom with a 30"+ Lilja 3 groove and 94grs of RL 25, 210M primer. Early testing has produced 1.5" 5 shots @ 400yds. Really an impressive bullet, something you should look into if you load for a 300 UM. Should you decide on a 7, Barnes makes a 150 and a 160gr in the TSX too.
db

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.