7mm ultra mag

Yea I have been shooting my whole life too. Since about 9 yrs old. And around 16 or so got hooked on archery and was almost just archery until we had my two boys and once they got old enough to shoot and hunt we started to do it all again. Started loading our own amo about three or four years ago.
You will be surprised at how much you can improve your shooting with the correct tools, rifle, amo and especially with today's optics.
Have fun, there is a lot of good help on here

I shoot two times and then it cools, I know that is probably being over cautious but. On cleaning, I have heard so many different story from clean after ever 5 shots to not cleaning unless the guns stops holding a group. So since you have a 7mm RUM what was your proto call as far as cleaning and how many rounds do you think you got from the factory tube? Again I really thank all of you for the great info that you are sharing.

Russell
Mine is US-869 (cooler burning) at 101.5gr 160AB mag length 3248 sub half minute standard bdl ss
Also H1000 retumbo are go-to powders.
I would also say that standard factory twist should be fine stabilizing 180's.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Barnes 145 grain LRX ammo, I have ordered some for tube 7mm RUM have any of you guys had any dealings with them?

Got advertised velocity and killed quite a few animals with them, one and done-- and only one ran (lung punched doe made it 40yds).

Same here. I have been using this ammo since introduced, and my HS handles well. I was surprised Barnes even chose this round to market, but very accurate. Was shooting last Friday at local range, and checking speeds on chrony. Very consistent. Very happy.

I remember reading the article. Personally, I would not take a 7mm of any kind on a brown bear hunt. The animals are just too big and they deserve more than a marginal type chambering when being pursued. If all goes well, there may not be any noticeable difference with the kill between the 7mm's, the 300's, and 338's, etc... and so on. If things turn sour, I believe the 7mm, especially with a 140 grain load, is just lacking in too many areas.

A lot of places that you will hunt for the big brownies are dense alder, willow, and devil's club jungles. Shots may be quick and fleeting at odd angles. I would definitely want something of greater diameter throwing a much heavier slug (of outstanding construction) in that type of situation. If you are hunting in the great wide open, the 7mm may work exceptionally well for you, but I would still go with the heaviest and best constructed bullet I could find.

When hunting dangerous game in heavy cover, use the best gun for the job. As someone said earlier, there is replacement for displacement.

Same here. I have been using this ammo since introduced, and my HS handles well. I was surprised Barnes even chose this round to market, but very accurate. Was shooting last Friday at local range, and checking speeds on chrony. Very consistent. Very happy.

Barnes is owned by the same parent company as Remington I believe- hence the LRX offerings in all the RUM chamberings.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.