7mm ultra mag

Mine loves the 190 Matrix Bullets. I still have a couple boxes which should be the life of my barrel. Whatever you decide keep in mind the 7 RUM is an extremely overbore caliber. These overbores aren't designed for barrel life, they are designed for speed. You can somewhat control the rate at which these barrels get shot out by loads and frequency of use. If you don't care, then there's a ton of opportunity.
I also use 190 g. Matrix with enough retumbo to achieve a MV of 3050. This combination should prolong barrel life due to less powder and lower velocity. I have clocked Remington factory loads with 140 Nosler partitions at over 3500 fps out of my Sendero with a factory 26" barrel, and still have some inventory to shoot.

3397.jpg
Last Friday I shot some Remington factory 140 partitions and the highest was 3,397.

It's an awesome cartrige. Keep the barrel clean and don't overheat it.
The 7mm RUM is better than the 28 Nosler with the heavy projectiles. Most heavy projectiles will run in an 8.5 twist however there could be some that might need an 8.
195 Bergers and Retumbo are a great combination if they stabalise in your barrel.

I shoot two times and then it cools, I know that is probably being over cautious but. On cleaning, I have heard so many different story from clean after ever 5 shots to not cleaning unless the guns stops holding a group. So since you have a 7mm RUM what was your proto call as far as cleaning and how many rounds do you think you got from the factory tube? Again I really thank all of you for the great info that you are sharing.

Russell

I clean mine after every range trip, rarely fire more than 30 rounds on a day at the range. I run one or two fouling shots down the Bore and leave it like that for the whole hunting season. Clean it at the end of the season. Rarely go through more than 8 or so rounds a season as it is almost always one shot per animal.

Your thinking on the two rounds and let it cool is a good idea.
I do the same but my limit is 3 then let it cool while I shoot something else!
If I am limited on time I make sure on summer days that it sits in shade or cover with towel and sometimes place cold gel packs on the barrel to help cool faster

I started after learned the gun I can go 3 but seems any shots over 3 and its grouping goes from 3 punches in target nearly touching at 100 yards and then gun is not repeatable 4th shoot maybe 2 to 3 inches from the group. But as long as I stop shooting and let it cool and as you I will have brought my 270, 243 and a number of pistols to shoot while the RUM cools or sometimes I bring my fishing rod . Where I shoot it is place where it has several farm ponds and I shoot off one of the banks that is 12 feet above a bean field and this also allows me to shoot further than I can master at this the moment my rangefinder goes out to 1500 yards it is maxed out and still a lot of open field beyond that range.

Its definitely a hunting round, so do the above, then practice with you 6.5 or .270. OR shoot the chit outta your 7UM the rebarrel to 28 Nosler:eek:

I have a 100 yrs range at house but if we want to shoot any farther we have to drive a bit.
All mountains here in N. Idaho so have to find a canyon to shoot across or somthing.
Yea, also have 6.5 cm for my other shooter that I practice with more.
The RUM is pretty dialed. I let my Sons buddy put a round through it last fall, he has never shot much long range so we picked out a rock about a foot square across a canyon at 920yrds and he center punched it on his first shot.
He looked up at me and just said BAD A--.!!
Then I centered it with my 6.5 and my Son centered it with his 270 short mag, all one shot!
Now this kid has a 7rm that we are working up loads for.
Pretty fun stuff when you are use to shooting at things less than 50 yards with recurve and long bows most my life!.... witch is still my main go to when it comes to chasing Elk!

I have a 100 yrs range at house but if we want to shoot any farther we have to drive a bit.
All mountains here in N. Idaho so have to find a canyon to shoot across or somthing.
Yea, also have 6.5 cm for my other shooter that I practice with more.
The RUM is pretty dialed. I let my Sons buddy put a round through it last fall, he has never shot much long range so we picked out a rock about a foot square across a canyon at 920yrds and he center punched it on his first shot.
He looked up at me and just said BAD A--.!!
Then I centered it with my 6.5 and my Son centered it with his 270 short mag, all one shot!
Now this kid has a 7rm that we are working up loads for.
Pretty fun stuff when you are use to shooting at things less than 50 yards with recurve and long bows most my life!.... witch is still my main go to when it comes to chasing Elk!

Great story. I have been shooting my whole adult life but just in the past 6 months I have gotten into trying to go past 300 yards I've gotten out to 550 repeatable. Now I'm at a point to where I'm going to start hand loading my goal is to get out to 1000 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.