7mm ultra mag

I enjoy shooting mine also. Have a HS Precision, and it is extremely accurate with factory Barnes LRX 145. Took it to Wyoming last fall, and took a nice pronghorn, and mule deer. Heading to range this Friday to work up some handloads, and have some fun.

ULTRA2001,
do you know what twist your barrel is?
That would matter if you want to shoot the heavier bullets like I do for hunting Elk.
I know what you guys mean, my 7 RUM is what got me into the long range stuff and back into reloading.
A few years ago I picked up a mint SAKO 75 7mm RUM. HAS 9.5 twist (a little slow for heavy long bullets) but once I got it up to 3100 fps with Berger 180g VLD It finally stabilized and shoots flat out lights out man!
Start low and work up but my load is

Woops.
Load is nosler brass (not cheap) fed. 215 primer 180g vld over 84g IMR 7828 (fills to capacity better than 7828ss) 3100fps out of 26" tube.

ULTRA2001,
do you know what twist your barrel is?
That would matter if you want to shoot the heavier bullets like I do for hunting Elk.
I know what you guys mean, my 7 RUM is what got me into the long range stuff and back into reloading.
A few years ago I picked up a mint SAKO 75 7mm RUM. HAS 9.5 twist (a little slow for heavy long bullets) but once I got it up to 3100 fps with Berger 180g VLD It finally stabilized and shoots flat out lights out man!
Start low and work up but my load is

Either should work with the moderately heavy for caliber bullets up to 180 or so as long as your magazine will fit them

Mine is a 1:9.5 twist. The 190 grain bullets have no trouble stabilizing and are extremely accurate. If you want to take advantage of the high BC heavies, you will either need a Wyatt's mag box (4.00 coal) or use the rifle as a single shot. Mine has an internal mag, but I can't use it because of how long my bullets are seated. Here are 2 examples of long heavy bullets that are seated longer than the internal mag box. 7 rum and 7 SAUM respectively.
upload_2019-4-24_11-35-9.jpeg

Yes I have read alot about this gun never took off and so on but I received my sendero with the fluted bull barrel for Fathers day 200q and up till now have been able to hit a 4 inch square out to 400 yards with factory ammo. I have bought all the reloading equipment need . What I'm wanting to know is the anybody on the site that had a 7mm ultra with a load that they suggest I start with? My factory ammo is a 140 grain bonded bullet that runs out of muzzle sty 3375.

Thanks in advanve
It's not that it didn't "take off"? It was an overbore case in search of a problem and didn't make that much sense when it was put to market, when there was already the 7STW, that did more than you wanted, with the powders and bullet weights of that era.

Now, fast forward, to the current day and there is slower, more stable powders and heavier longer bullets, that make the 7RUM a more viable 7mm!

I had sold my 7RUM, because of my previous statement, and my 7STW was the perfect BIG BOY SEVEN, until, I wore that barrel and put on a 28 Nosler tube and the 28 Nosler does what the 7STW & 7RUM do, with more efficiency and better SD/ES.

Yep, the 28 Nosler is the new big boy in 7mm.
Two of my buddy's just did custom builds in 28 and I am working up loads for them now... well as soon as I finish my house remodel for the wife!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.