300 RUM or 7mm with 180 bergers at 3000 fps

Better off using a 300 RUM or 7mm 180 bergers at 3000 fps

• 300 RUM 210/230 bergers

Votes: 186 52.5%
  • 7mm 180 bergers at 3000 fps

Votes: 168 47.5%

• Total voters
What bearpaw said. 180 in 300 ultra will do the job.
180gr will get the job done with either. Between the two the 7mm 180 though is going to have the higher sectional density.

The .308's won't have a higher SD till you get up to the 210gr wieght range.

The advantage the Rum gives in this case is more potential energy and higher BC's with the heavier Bullets.

3000 with the 180's in a 7mm is a great round for elk I would be comfortable to around 1200 yards. With the 300 rum and the ability to go heavier and faster It will definatly put you in a new league. I am comfortable with my RUM to 1600 and that is capped by my abilities not the guns.

So I have recieved my rifle and got some load development done. I am using neckturned norma brass federal 215M primers, berger 180 vlds and retumbo powder. I got up to 71 grains without overpressure signs but I have to be getting close to max. My best was 2912 with 14 ES. I was hoping to get closer to 3000 fps so I called my smith and he said that chronos can be off, his is by 3% and I should shoot it and figure the velocity from the drops. So hopefully Im really a lot closer to the 3000 fps that I think I am. I really like this rifle and cant wait to extend my abilities.
07011211511.jpg

013.jpg

Rifle Specs are 7 Rem Mag
trued Rem 700
rock creek 26" barrel
jewell hvr trigger
manner t2 stock
nightforce base
tps rings
leupold vx-3 4.5-15 x 50mm varmint reticle and covered target elevation turret
harris 6-9 swivel bi-pod with notched legs and pod loc
vortex bubble level

on order is a nightforce angle degree indicator

trued Rem 700
rock creek 26" barrel
jewell hvr trigger
manner t2 stock
nightforce base
tps rings
vortex bubble level

Very nice. I'd say you have it just about where you want it.

With accuracy like that a few more FPS or a few less isn't going to make much difference

I have a 7-270 wsm using reloader 17 I get 3040 fps with 180 gr bergers, it has a 27.5" Kreiger barrel. It is a dream to shoot very accurate and low recoil with still enough to take a elk or bear at 1000 yards plus. I also have a 338 edge that I love for if i'm looking for more.

Nice looking rifle by the way.

Great thread! I learned a lot from all your guys contributions. This LD thing is kind of addictive! I'm about to pick up my first mag cal, which will either be 7mm RM or 7 WSM next week. After dialing it in, paper, deer, and pigs will be the quarry.

Not sure if this is the right place to pose the question but:

From what I have gathered here, it looks like RL25 or H1000 is the choice for the 175/180s, but I will start with lighter bullets. (I also read somewhere that H1000 is somewhat temp sensitive?)

But I will be starting off with lighter bullets like in the 140 - 162 range. Looking for best accuracy. 24' or 26" barrel stock gun, not custom.

So, anyone got some suggestions for powder/primers? (I've been using Fed 210 match primers in my 270 & 243 with good results.)

Thanks for all your previous informative posts! And the pics of targets and dead pigs

Travis built this rifle you will not be disappointed. You have by now, with yor conversations with him, found that he his one of the best men you will have dealings with.
Welcome to this love that all of us on this web site for Long Range Hunting.
Keep practicing. Save your money for a new barrel when this one is burned up from all the shooting you will do.
Travis is building ALL my guns from now on.

trued Rem 700
rock creek 26" barrel
jewell hvr trigger
manner t2 stock
nightforce base
tps rings
vortex bubble level

What is the weight of that bad boy (the gun not the son:cool:) without the bipod?

How in the world are guys getting these kind of speeds with a 180 out of a 7 mag? I shoot a 162 amax with 69.5 gr of H1000 and getting only 2990 MV. My chrono says much faster, but my drop table at 600 yds says another story, which is the 2990. I'm shooting a 26 in Hart with a 9 twist.

How in the world are guys getting these kind of speeds with a 180 out of a 7 mag? I shoot a 162 amax with 69.5 gr of H1000 and getting only 2990 MV. My chrono says much faster, but my drop table at 600 yds says another story, which is the 2990. I'm shooting a 26 in Hart with a 9 twist.
Call Travis at RBros rifles. He will be happy to explain it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.