300 Rum or 300 Rum Ackley Impr.

troupe

I am thinking of a new big gun. I can do either, 300 Rum or the 300 Rum Ackley Improved. My thinking is that I get these ideas, build a rifle, shoot a small amount of rounds and then usually get bored with it, or it sits in the safe. The 300 Ackley of coarse will have to be fire formed before getting much brass to work with but I do have a reamer at my disposal. The simple way would be to do the 300 Rum. The rifle will be a 28" barreled 8 twist. The 28" should give me plenty of velocity with the 212 or 225 ELD-x. When I get bored, I think the 300 Rum would be easier to sell if I decided to do that. I think with the 28" barrel and the 300 Rum A/I , I could pick up another 150 fps. Is the 150 fps worth the extra work making the fire formed brass, and possibly not being able to sell the rifle down the road, plus the reloading dies. I was considering the Carbon Six barrel for the build. I would think 3100 with the Rum and 3200 with the Rum A/I. What do you all think ?

Thanks for any input,
Tom

I'm all for doing something different, but there's not a whole lot of improving to be done to a RUM case. You might get an extra 5-6gr capacity by going with the standard AI treatment. You'd see similar gains by having a standard 300 RUM throated so you can use a 4.000" OAL and shoot it as a single shot or modify the action to take the 3.990" Wyatts mag box. That lets you retain the potential resale value while gaining performance with out the need for custom dies.

Or go all out and push the 300 RUM AI reamer in an extra .100" and see some real improvements. I have a 375 RUM Improved with the shoulder pushed forward and it has a case capacity of 122.1gr H2O, plus it's throated to shoot the 350 SMK with an OAL of 4.100" in a single shot. It will keep up with any 378 Weatherby and I'd expect a 300 RUM with a similar treatment would be right there with the 30-378 Weatherby.

I have to tend to agree with keeping it simple. The Wyatt box will be standard in the action and the re-sale would be easier. My track record is not keeping anything very long. I think a long box with a slightly longer throat may be the answer.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am thinking of a new big gun. I can do either, 300 Rum or the 300 Rum Ackley Improved. My thinking is that I get these ideas, build a rifle, shoot a small amount of rounds and then usually get bored with it, or it sits in the safe. The 300 Ackley of coarse will have to be fire formed before getting much brass to work with but I do have a reamer at my disposal. The simple way would be to do the 300 Rum. The rifle will be a 28" barreled 8 twist. The 28" should give me plenty of velocity with the 212 or 225 ELD-x. When I get bored, I think the 300 Rum would be easier to sell if I decided to do that. I think with the 28" barrel and the 300 Rum A/I , I could pick up another 150 fps. Is the 150 fps worth the extra work making the fire formed brass, and possibly not being able to sell the rifle down the road, plus the reloading dies. I was considering the Carbon Six barrel for the build. I would think 3100 with the Rum and 3200 with the Rum A/I. What do you all think ?

Thanks for any input,
Tom
I'd stick with the RUM, it'll do anything you want to do with a rifle, be much cheaper and easier to load for and when the time comes that you decide to sell it the resale value will be higher.

I'd stick with the RUM, it'll do anything you want to do with a rifle, be much cheaper and easier to load for and when the time comes that you decide to sell it the resale value will be higher.
Words of wisdom. Lots of 30's out there, the RUM will last. mtmuley

just shoot the300rum and call it a day. I can already get 3300 fps easily (I've gone higher with the right powder) with a 180 and right at 3000 fps with a 225 with a couple of powders with no issues at all. May as well start looking at 338's and 300gr pills if you want a lot more than that.

Thanks for the feedback. I think the 300 will be the way to go. As soon as I get a stock sold, I may order my barrel.

I'm all for doing something different, but there's not a whole lot of improving to be done to a RUM case. You might get an extra 5-6gr capacity by going with the standard AI treatment. You'd see similar gains by having a standard 300 RUM throated so you can use a 4.000" OAL and shoot it as a single shot or modify the action to take the 3.990" Wyatts mag box. That lets you retain the potential resale value while gaining performance with out the need for custom dies.

Or go all out and push the 300 RUM AI reamer in an extra .100" and see some real improvements. I have a 375 RUM Improved with the shoulder pushed forward and it has a case capacity of 122.1gr H2O, plus it's throated to shoot the 350 SMK with an OAL of 4.100" in a single shot. It will keep up with any 378 Weatherby and I'd expect a 300 RUM with a similar treatment would be right there with the 30-378 Weatherby.
Where can a person buy 300 RUM Ackley Improved Resizing Die ? Or doesa pedrson use the 300 RUM AI reamer and cut out a 300 RUM Die? Thamks

I have a custom Neil Jones die set for a 338 EDGE AI. Only change to case is the shoulder angle, I'm not using it anymore. It would work for a 300Rum AI with a bushing change, if you're interested. Manson has the reamer.