300 rum

Thanks for the info! As of right now the seating depth is of no use due to the mag well on my remmy is to short to fit a full length round. I do plan to fix this problem but not until hunting season is over. (Had the same trouble with a Ruger M77 in a .338win. Some work with a dremel and the rifle was fixed.

Thanks for the info! As of right now the seating depth is of no use due to the mag well on my remmy is to short to fit a full length round. I do plan to fix this problem but not until hunting season is over. (Had the same trouble with a Ruger M77 in a .338win. Some work with a dremel and the rifle was fixed.
I just let 'em jump. I have a 3.8" throat on my 30 rum and I don't load over 3.65", most of the time right at 3.6". I don't want pressure issues creeping up on me with 100 grains of powder next to my face! 1/2 moa at .2" jump isn't that good I suppose though in a 9#er without a brake. She still has the factory trigger and the hard rubber but pad too.

I have the same rifle as you and have two loads for it.
For magazine use 200gr Accubond on 92gr Retumbo lit up with Fed 215 at 3.660"
For long renge single feed 230gr Berger Hybrid Target on 90gr Retumbo with Fed 215 OAL 15 thou off lands (Very long).
Both loads give fine accuracy well under 1" consistently. I found with the light barrel that heavier loads just caused groups to open up. I always work up in one grain increments in this gun.

I have the same rifle as you and have two loads for it.
For magazine use 200gr Accubond on 92gr Retumbo lit up with Fed 215 at 3.660"
For long renge single feed 230gr Berger Hybrid Target on 90gr Retumbo with Fed 215 OAL 15 thou off lands (Very long).
Both loads give fine accuracy well under 1" consistently. I found with the light barrel that heavier loads just caused groups to open up. I always work up in one grain increments in this gun.

What do you mean by heavier loads? Powder weight? I did some different powder weights today. 89.6-91.0g in .5g increments. 90.0g and 90.5g seemed to be the same. Two rounds touching and one flyer about an inch away. Group at about 1.33" each. 91.0g the group was bigger. At first the 89.6g was wide. Must have been me as the last group I shot was .88". Maybe I went the wrong way with the powder. Coal is 3.622". Any longer and it's a single shot.

Any increase in powder weight and the groups just open up. Give your rifle a good chance to cool between shots and you might find it will do better. The third shot in a string will have that SPS barrel really heated up.

Yea I noticed that. I was giving somewhere between 2-4 minutes between shots and cleaning the barrel between each group. The barrel was still warm but not too hot too touch and hold on to. Of course I was shooting off of my tailgate because they are working on our range. I have heard Bergers like to be closer to the lands. Guess after hunting season, and the purchase of more bullets I will play more with it. Guess that means more range time!! :D
Any idea how many rounds this barrel will eat before I need to replace it?

Yea I noticed that. I was giving somewhere between 2-4 minutes between shots and cleaning the barrel between each group. The barrel was still warm but not too hot too touch and hold on to. Of course I was shooting off of my tailgate because they are working on our range. I have heard Bergers like to be closer to the lands. Guess after hunting season, and the purchase of more bullets I will play more with it. Guess that means more range time!! :D
Any idea how many rounds this barrel will eat before I need to replace it?
I would guess you are looking at about 1 thousand rounds barrel life on a 300rum give or take a few hundred depending on your barrel care and how hard you run it/ if you get it hot shooting it, etc..

Ok. That's what I thought. This has a sporter barrel so it is pretty thin. When I am target shooting I give it time to cool a bit between shots. I try not to let the barrel heat up that much and I clean it when I get home. Guess I should start saving for another barrel.
Would it make a difference dropping from 210g bullets down to say 180's or even 168's on barrel life?

I reckon lighter bullets going faster will do your barrel in faster. Stick with what you are using and use it for hunting it will last you a long time. Get yourself another rifle like a 308 for range use.

I've got a Shilen select match #4 on mine. 28" long. Shoots 180 Sciroccos, 200 ABs both with Retumbo and Re25 really well.

shoot 3 and let er cool off. work up load in 1 gr increments until you find accuracy and fine tune with smaller increments from there... play with OAL too. I usually just load to max magazine length and increase charge until accuracy comes in... usually close to max with the rums I have. I shoot accubonds in 7, 300, and 375. I like the idea of a fairly tough bullet that will fly well too. Anyway, thats my game. Others may do it different and better.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts